• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Boots

D

DLPrice

I'm in the market for a new pair of riding boots and am considering the BMW Contour/Plus. Any positive/negative feedback? Other "possibles" I should consider? Great forum!

i've got oxtar gore-tex boots, and i like them. i think they are the 'matrix' line. one con is that they don't "blend in" with dress pants, but theyve got a good fit, and when i'm on the bike, i feel good with the armor they have. theyre fine strolling around in between rides, and i've worn them for 2-3 days in a row, all day, and didnt have a strong urge to remove them. also, theyve got a flexy shin area, so you can tuck pants in, or not, depending on your mood.

theyre rain tested, and they work. of course, i didnt have proper rain pants on, so water leaked in from the top. but my toes and soles were the last to get moist. :D

my riding gear is chosen more for its performance on the bike than off the bike. i took a hospital co-pay and bought a spare pair of shoes that i keep at work and change into when i ride to work. beats having the wrong footwear should i faceplant while commuting.

YMMV.

Contour boots

I have the BMW Contour boots and am very happy with them. Very comfortable, the traction is great and they have proven to be completely waterproof. I would buy them again.

Leave it an airhead rider to suggest this, but three years ago I went to a sporting goods/outdoor shop and got a pair of Hitec Magnum tactical/combat-style hikers for $92. Very lightweight, very durable, comfy to walk all day in, and waterproof enough to stand in water and not feel a drop unless the waves lap over the top of them (yes I've done this). Four-season breathable insulated too. I recently got sick of all the lacing and unlacing though, so I went to the local uniform shop and picked up a pair of Thoroughgood Lace-to-zipper conversions for $15. Now these already excellent boots are really quick and easy to get on and off, which is great since my Belstaff pants are a royal pain in the keister to get on or off over boots even with the flare-zippers.
I sure hope I can get another pair of these when they wear out.
Oh, and they look SMASHING with a UtiliKilt too! :thumb

I am riding with a pair of Combat Touring Boots from Aerostich. Good
coverage (calf high), water-proof and comfy to walk in.

Whoops. Should add that they are made by Sidi and resemble a
leather MX boot.

Ian

SiDi On-Road Sympatex Boots

I love these boots. I commute 365 in Seattle. Water proof is a must. These boots are flexible & really keep the rain Out.

Check out the reviews at the links below.

g2281.jpg

http://www.motorcyclegearreview.com/reviews.php?prodID=353

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcbeware/sympatex.html

I have also been very happy with the Sidi On Road Sympatex. I have used them one season, about 25,000 km.

Pros: comfortable, waterproof, enough heel to wear off bike, reasonable protection.

Cons: can be warm in hot temperatures, a little expensive.

I had the Sidi On Roads, they were comfy & dry. Just replaced them with the Oxtar Matrix, very comfy, haven't tested for water proof, but they have a Goretex liner, and appear identical to the BMW Contour.
Get them at Newenough.com for $139!

I've been using the Contour Plus since July. On the plus side they offer great protection (reinforcement in all the right places) and are "easy on/easy off." I like the speed lacing feature a lot. Soles offer good traction when putting your feet down and good support when walking around. Haven't ridden in enough rain to comment on the waterproofing, but I have every reason to believe it's superior.

On the down side the presence of the velcro closures on the inside of the leg can take some adjustment. After putting my feet down I have, on ocassion, "snagged" the pegs on the closure flap that's on the inside of the legs. Although it only causes a momentary hitch, it could be enough to make you want to lift or otherwise move your foot earlier than you might want to. If I were buying boots again, I'd only consider models that did not have any sort of flap on the inside of the rider's legs.

My riding buddy has a pair of the high top Sidi boots referred to in earier posts and he really likes them. I believe they are about the same price as the Contour Plus.

Wide Feet, Waterproof

While we're on the subject of boots, does anyone have a recommendation for those of us with wide feet? I have tried many brands at vendor booths, and most boots are too narrow for me (E width shoe). I tried the BMW top of the line goretex boot and they were wide enough, but at $300 a bit pricey for me.

A humorous aside... the BMW dealer where I tried on the boots (who shall remain anonymous) pointed to the Gore Tex logo and said "This is worth $100", then pointed to the BMW Roundel and said "This is worth $100, and the boots are $100 , total $300". :p

What makes them worth $300 may be that they are the only ones you can find that will fit.

GS Tom said:
I tried the BMW top of the line goretex boot and they were wide enough, but at $300 a bit pricey for me.

A humorous aside... the BMW dealer where I tried on the boots (who shall remain anonymous) pointed to the Gore Tex logo and said "This is worth $100", then pointed to the BMW Roundel and said "This is worth $100, and the boots are $100 , total $300". :p

I have the Oxtar Matrix. The Gore-Tex liner definitely keeps my feet dry. Good flexibility. Good protection. Reasonable price.

I've had the Sidi City boots for 18 months or so and they are great. Dry in rain, comfortable walking boot and not too much of a problem in hot weather, great in cold weather (or as cold as it gets in south Texas). :D

BouncinBob said:
The Sidi's. I've had mine 2 seasons. Awesome, they hardly got scratched in the wreck.

I opted for the Oxtars because of the ankle armor. The Sidi's wore 90% through the leather during my "test incident"
The heel - sole configuration on the Sidi boot allows more room under the shifter. The molded sole on the Oxtar does not have as deep a step in the arch area, had to modify the shifter to gain a bit more clearence.

Sidi Boots

Funny you mention your test. A Honda rider friend said his Sidi boots wore through (toe area) in a Dallas freeway skid after he hit a 2X4. I didn't think much about it until reading your post! :dunno

Last edited:
GS Tom said:
While we're on the subject of boots, does anyone have a recommendation for those of us with wide feet? I have tried many brands at vendor booths, and most boots are too narrow for me (E width shoe). I tried the BMW top of the line goretex boot and they were wide enough, but at $300 a bit pricey for me.

My problem too. I wear 9EE and have a hard time with boots, especially those with toe cups. Other than Cruiserworks, I don't know who else makes riding boots in widths. I currently wear Timberline lace-ups that don't have the protection they should. I'd love to have a pair of Oxtar's or Sidi's...

I'm with Grey Matter on this one.... The SiDi's are the top of the pile.... Totally water proof and made just a little large in size.....Wouldn't trade mine for any other boot except maybe BMW boots........Pete

Back