• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Side Stand Switch

Paul_F

RK Ryder
I wish to switch the side stand on my '98 R1100RT.

Is it simply a matter of undoing the bolt, adding the newer stand, bolt up it back it up? Is there something that I need to do (or not do) to retain the function of the side stand shutting off the engine when it is deployed, or for that matter, allowing the bike to start once it has been raised? :dunno

I haven't removed/replaced an RT stand, but on the RS the stand comes off without disturbing the switch. The hard part is reattaching the springs.

I'm curious as to why you are switching the side stand. I have noted on my 02 RT, it seems a little low and would not mind adding and inch or so to it. If that is the case with you, what are you switching it with? -G

I'm curious as to why you are switching the side stand. I have noted on my 02 RT, it seems a little low and would not mind adding and inch or so to it. If that is the case with you, what are you switching it with? -G

When I first got the bike in the summer of '09, I had to always park the bike either on level ground or on a downhill slope. A slight uphill slope and the bike would be too upright to dismount without it falling over. Hence a friend shortened it for me and put a decent size footprint on it.

Since then I have changed shocks. Don't know if that is why, but now I have the opposite effect. I have to find a level but preferably a slight uphill slope, otherwise I drop a piece of 1/2" plywood block under the stand to keep the bike from leaning too far to the left.

I have looked at the stand but can not see any cracks or bends, but I have a concern about leaving the bike leaned over so far for any extended time. Hence, when I came across one for a decent price, in decent condition last week on Ebay, decided to try an uncut, original version.

Now my K leans just as much, but that is normal for a K, without the additional top heavy weight of the R. When I have seen other R1100RTs, their side stand lean is far less than mine. Now to figure out a way to get those springs back on the bike.

Your shocks were shot; the bike was sitting low because the shocks had lost their preload settings. So, the lower the bike was sitting the less it leaned over. When you cut the sidestand, you were fixing the wrong problem. Putting an original sidestand back on will fix your problem now that you replaced the shocks.

I don't know if it will work for this spring, but one trick for putting a side stand spring back on old Honda CB750's was to insert pennies, one-by-one, between each coil in the spring - that would expand it slowly coil-by-coil - then you could hook it where you needed to. Oh ... and then don't forget to remove the pennies ....

Jerry
NJ

Back