• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

ZUMO Tech Question?

greenwald

Considering a ZUMO 550.

If I read the literature correctly, when the unit is mounted on the motorcycle, the only way to hear route instructions is via a Bluetooth-comm equipped helmet?

Is there no external speaker to hear instructions simply with the naked ear?

I know the suction mount for in the car/truck comes with an "integrated speaker," but what about when it's on the motorcycle?

Thanks -Kevin

Last edited:
According to the specs on their website, you have Bluetooth or the headphone jack. Looks like the external speaker is only on the car mount.

Or listen thru earbuds/helmet mounted speakers hooked to the output jack on the left side of the bike cradle. Might be a way to hook an external speaker up as well, not sure how loud you could crank the Garmin up to hear while cruising that way.

First off Zumo is the only way to go if you can afford it. Cheaper units out there, but in my opinion this is the best for bike use.

I have always used wired headphones with mine. I use them for both directions and the built in MP3 player.

I have never tried Bluetooth on my Zumo because I do not ride with Bluetooth compatible stuff (yet).

remember the 550 used old technology BT.. not A2DP which is what the 660/5 uses.. If you plan on using it for MP3's... w/o A2DP it won't be stereo.

The 550 is already 5 year old technology.. why not get the 660????

(Nice travel trip BTW Kev, just read it in March BMWON.. Sounded a little hairy!! ;-)

If you have a comm system you can output to that as well but if not using the supplied cradle bluetooth may be the only other option.

This will be my 4th year using the Zumo-550. I have a bluetooth on my helmet for directions, phone calls, I am on call alot and this lets me ride with out getting in trouble at work, and last weekend I errased 12 of 16 cd's I loaded onto the unit and installed 12 new cd's and a few photos for this years riding. The Zumo has been totally trouble free in the time I have used it.

remember the 550 used old technology BT.. not A2DP which is what the 660/5 uses.. If you plan on using it for MP3's... w/o A2DP it won't be stereo.

The 550 is already 5 year old technology.. why not get the 660????

(Nice travel trip BTW Kev, just read it in March BMWON.. Sounded a little hairy!! ;-)

I'll consider the 660, but more bucks, for sure.

And thanks for the kind words on the 3-part 'adventure.'

Let me restate my primary question, though:

Presume for a moment I have NO HELMET COMM system whatsoever. Will the Zumo 550 (or 660) announce its directions aloud for me to hear with the naked ear?

Kev.. in a simple answer to your question... YES. The 550 has a speaker (in fact, I wonder if their is a GPS that DOESN'T have s speaker) but now the caveat:

I really doubt you will hear the announcements when riding... Before I went to BT, I used another good GPS (and heck of a deal, and allows custom routes) the Nuvi 5XX series. It has a VERY loud speaker but unless I was almost at a stop, engine idling, I couldn't hear a thing. I must say it didn't bother me in the least... You get very good at taking very fast glances at the GPS (of course, eyes are off the roads then...) and knowing what is coming up.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALDiGADCl9c Review of the Nuvi 500 waterproof capabilities Hysterical, they use the GPS in a fishtank for 30 minutes.. but NO Bluetooth.

BTW, before you decide.. look at drivenGPS.com -refurb units-... you may find a 660 for less than a 550!!! Factory warranty, same as new.

I'll consider the 660, but more bucks, for sure.

The 660/665 has a speaker, I don't recall if the 450/550 does or not, I always used it wired via Autocom. (I don't think it has a speaker.)
The 660/665 is MUCH faster than the 450/550.
The 660/665 has much more internal memory than the 450/550.

I had two 550's for a few years, sold them both and bought a 660 and a 665. I wouldn't go back. The newest map updates from Garmin are too big to fit on the 450/550. You have to select regions. With the 660/665, I've got the North America map set, Topo US and Topo Canada all installed on internal memory, with plenty of room left over.

The 660 is $100 cheaper than the 550. Garmin's website is the best place to compare models in grid format.

660/5 is the shizzle... +1 on the speed, custom routes are calculated instantly... and A2DP BT IS a big deal..

You wanna go with the SENA SMH10 BT, btw !

the Zumo 550 does not have a speaker when in the motorcycle mount. in order to hear directions, XM radio or MP3 music you need either Blue Tooth or plug in some ear buds or helmet speakers.

when the 550 is in the car mount that does have an incorporated speaker built into the car mount so you can hear directions etc.

the Zumo 550 does not have a speaker when in the motorcycle mount. in order to hear directions, XM radio or MP3 music you need either Blue Tooth or plug in some ear buds or helmet speakers.

when the 550 is in the car mount that does have an incorporated speaker built into the car mount so you can hear directions etc.

There you go Ken.. the definitive answer.. NO!

BTW, the 660 has a speaker built in it... SO if your parked and camping, etc.. you can play tunes (built in MP3) and listen directly.

BTW, the 660 has a speaker built in it... SO if your parked and camping, etc.. you can play tunes (built in MP3) and listen directly.

As does the 220 if you're willing to sacrifice an inch of screen width, 3d building depiction, and MP3 player capability for a $200 savings.

zumo 550 and audio

As many have confirmed, the standard zumo 550 does not have an internal speaker, audio only available via single channel (mono) Bluetooth stream or wire connection to audio output jack, which will be in stereo if proper cable used.

A simple workaround that I have used for testing is to use a (very) cheap single or set of portable non-powered speakers, some are even waterproof, connected to the 3.5mm stereo output. Their output is typically not stellar, but they can be loud enough.

So wired up it is, or single channel Bluetooth. I do agree with other comments regarding looking seriously at zumo220 or 660/665 (higher end) for features and suitability. Many however are adopting more economical models that have similiar features to zumo models, but witout the environmental certification.

A good weather bag, coming to market for many models, by three or four manufacturers, with a clear or translucent face, makes this type of solution viable. RAM has a new hard/soft casing that can have different mounting adapters put on it...I have one on order for eventual testing.

And to answer one other post, the WorldNav 3500 GPS does not have a speaker either.

Cheers, Bruce

Two of my four helmets are now Bluetooth enabled.

Garmin ZUMO 660 ordered and on the way!! :clap

Congrats on the 660. First thing you should do is backup everything on it (just in case), and then sign onto "my garmin" to register, and run the updaters.

As to Bluetooth, I went there in 2005 with Cardo, Motorola, and some cobbled together bluetooth parts from Sony and Logitech. Techie geek that I am, I was NEVER happy with the results and the inability to get all the audio sources I wanted to get into the helmet so ditched it all for a wired Autocom which has been working very well. (connections support navigation, phone, FRS/GMRS/ham tranceivers, MP3, audiobooks, radar rcvr, traffic, wx, am/fm/sat, and maybe there's something I'm forgetting. HA!) Truth be told, 90% of the time, I don't listen to any of it.

That said, I just bought a Sena bluetooth kit to give it another try 6 years later. I'll stick with the wired system for my highway bike and plan to use a bluetooth helmet with the 250cc KLX for navigation and phone.

Back