• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Dynabeads

BC1100S

Left Coast Rider
Can someone please put up some first hand experience with this product? They promise "dramatically" improved tire life but I'm skeptical. For the past many years, using a standard balancing system with stick-on weights, I've had no issue with tire balance or uneven wear on any of my bikes. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

oh man. that is just an unacceptable query from an 1100S rider; especially one who has lived on this forum for quite some time. really? not bothering to search on it yourself first?
R11S riders are an independent, DIY, self-sufficient lot (not like those that ride oilheads with 2 letters after the engine size code)... you bring embarrassment and shame to the entire group of us!

hmm, what should the pennance be?
banishment to ride only the Great Plains during the month of July? perform 3 unassisted spline lubes on highly modded R11Ss? Replace Bowden boxes and cables on a baker's dozen of R11Ss? Polish all the chrome visible at Sturgis, while attired in a tu-tu?
No, wait! I think i've got it!
You get to ride the Chief Joseph Highway/Beartooth Pass loop in its entirety (about 230 miles, + or - a few), on a gorgeously warm sunny day.... behind a train of overloaded RVs, with 2 Wyoming State Patrol cruisers that have you sandwiched between them. And the shoulder of the road is covered in fresh, thick tar, so there's no pulling off to create a gap you can play with.

THAT should teach you to use that search function first, ask questions second!! :banghead

Thanks for that. I feel shame and have now been suitably chastised. I'm apparently getting lazy in my old age. :D

As far as punishments are concerned, you've thought up a few of the worst.:laugh

And thank you, Kurt.

There are actually quite a few people on a number of forums that aren't familiar with the search feature. It really can be done a few different ways. One of the ways the Mod Team tries to help is to add "tags" to make it easier for the info to rise to the top when a search is attempted- whichever way the search is attempted. I have added the tags to this thread.
OM

Can someone please put up some first hand experience with this product? They promise "dramatically" improved tire life but I'm skeptical. For the past many years, using a standard balancing system with stick-on weights, I've had no issue with tire balance or uneven wear on any of my bikes. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

OK I'll bite.

I have used Dynabeads for many seasons.
I can't say they improve tire life dramatically but I believe they extend it to a small degree.
If you are happy with stick-on weights you probably aren't missing much.
Don't put them in your track bike tires, violent rotation changes are apparently annoying.
Don't try to prove they work using a dynamic balancer. They won't.

If you balance your wheel without a tire mounted you will probably find that modern tires are close enough to balanced on that wheel that you never have to change the weights.

Lastly, about searching this or any other forum. It's seldom fruitful using the built in forum search function.
You will be much further ahead using Google to do the heavy lifting.
Syntax:
"What I want" site:"bmwmoa.org"

Feel no shame, lazy is better than smelling like a fish. :D

Hope that helps.

Thanks in advance.

You're not missing anything, stick with what is working. Plenty of us consider dynabeads to be snake oil. I took mine out after a week because the tires were definitely unbalanced. They can also jam the valve stem. One friend had this happen three times. You'd better have a valve stem removal tool and an air compressor if this happens.

Tire manufacturing has also improved dramatically in recent years. Michelin, and maybe others no longer mark their tires with paint spots for the high, or low, weight point.

I don't bother balancing tires anymore and have no issues. YMMV.

Thanks in advance.

My last tire change on my K1200RS was with dyna beads. Results were satisfactory as I put over 10,000 on both front and rear. Did some 100 mile plus per hour stints on the flats on my way to the Salem rally this past summer and the bike was as smooth as it could possibly be. Noticed that cupping was not as bad on the front tire as when I had wheel weights on her. I'm sold on the beads and continue to use them, as I change my own tires and don't have a balancer. :dance

Being curious I added them when I put on the PR3's two years ago. Never had any problems with balance or tire wear, and am about to change to PR4's after 12,150 miles next week. I don't particularly care for stick-on weights, and the beads solve that issue. I have a tube of them for installation, and will continue to use them.

This topic is kind of like oil threads. Lots of opinions pro and con, so choose your position and jump in :thumb

They've "worked for me":blah over the course of many tire changes. While true that modern MC tires are often on the money,as installed, wheels may not be & some tires may wear unevenly prior to becoming unsafe to use, thus my beads continue their job over the life of the tire. If you install a so called perfect tire, it doesn't always stay that way. Another reality factor is that given the relatively short life of a MC tire it may be ready for removal before balance becomes a problem via uneven wear.
I never have had any issue with valve stems clogged or other problems & reuse all but the ones that get away. Balance on the rim via tire positioning (if need be) then use beads is my idea.

I never have had any issue with valve stems clogged or other problems & reuse all but the ones that get away..

Sh*t happens. It happened to my buddy three times, I was with him once. Just be aware if you're gonna use the things and are the type that checks your tire pressure frequently, be prepared for fixing the problem if you have them in your tires. Yes, there are other types of valve stems that may not have the issue.

12114920626_af69aa346f_z.jpg

Last edited:
Sh*t happens. It happened to my buddy three times, I was with him once. Just be aware if you're gonna use the things and are the type that checks your tire pressure frequently, be prepared for fixing the problem if you have them in your tires. Yes, there are other types of valve stems that may not have the issue.

When I bought my Dynabeads they came with a new valve stem to keep this from happening.
Jeff

With dynabeads you should check the pressure with the valve stem at the 4 or 8 o'clock position to avoid the beads getting in the valve.

With dynabeads you should check the pressure with the valve stem at the 4 or 8 o'clock position to avoid the beads getting in the valve.

4 or 8?

I always check pressure at 6 o'clock and have not had that problem but obviously, it's possible. I check pressure every ride day.
Since Tom's buddy had it 3 times there might be something else at play.

Old beads get sticky, I only re-use them twice now(3 times total).
Mounting a new tire with more than a minimum of tire lube could be a factor.

In any case, if you put a puff of air in before checking pressure you can blow any beads off the valve.

I saw a customer return his bike to the dealer that installed dynabeads with his new tire. It was severely out of balance. Some moisture from the bead lube/sealer that was used got inside and the beads all stuck together in one big glob in one spot. That was enough for me to decide I will never use dynabeads, regardless of the magic powers and possessed demons or nano bots they claim to have. I only regret that I did not think of this modern snake oil first.

I'm looking for partners in my new venture 'FuelBeads'. New 'FuelBeads' are tiny weighted ceramic balls that you pour in your gas tank that all automatically go to one side if your tank to the other during turns, thereby moving your centre of gravity toward the inside of the corner allowing deeper leans and faster cornering all without hanging off the side anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back