• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'11 RT Low - Kontour vs. Russell Sport Seat- experiences?

DBCasey

Enjoy the ride!
I apologize for yet another seat question, but I've not been able to find a thread that'll answer my specific questions. I'm specifically looking for information on the Russell Sport Seat and Kontour seats. So here goes:

I'm limited on the options I have due to the design of the Low Suspension seat. I've sent e-mails to all the "custom seat" companies, and those two companies are the only ones who can modify my stock seat. This is what I've gathered so far.

Kontour - I like the material they use to cover the seat with. Here in Ky, most of the riding season is hot and humid. The padding material they use seems like it'd be comfortable. Their claim is no additional height added to the seat after the build.

Russell Day Long - I'd be getting the "Sport Seat" version. No springs, just replacing the padding. But they can add a adjustable drivers backrest, which is something I think I'd really like. Leather, Vinyl or velour options for seat covering. Not sure how their padding compares to Kontours.

I've seen a Kontour seat. I really like the material they use for covering the seat, very breathable according to the owner. And the padding is comfortable. NO experience with the Russell seat, but I've read a lot of good reviews on them. Not sure if the Sport Seat version is the same as the regular Russell Seat far as comfort goes.

If I wear the correct breathable undergarments, would the type of seat covering be as much of an issue?

I'd appreciate anyones experience with either seat, preferably the Sport Seat version or Kontour seats in general. I've read in other forums where the owner of Kontour can be difficult to deal with, but my friend had nothing but good things to say about the customer service. And he's answered all my e-mails in a timely manner.

Either way I go, it's a lot of money for the seat. I'd like to have it completed by riding next riding season, so I've got until at least mid March to have it completed.

Thanks in advance for the info or advice.
C

I use a Sargent with a Bead Rider but here are a some thoughts

I would expect the Kontour to be a bit less sweaty than anything leather in hot humid weather. But it comes at the disadvantage that morning dew and rain will not dry as rapidly nor be removed as easily. For that possible reason, I decided to just use a Bead Rider which vents well in the summer, can be dried underneath easily when needed, and is a very useful comfort addition. Mine is the ceramic bed type. It also will significantly reduce heat from the heated seat in winter riding, if left on so - Sometimes in weather below 40 I use a sheepskin but not in the summer.

Leather of course is its own problem. Not inherently as durable as good vinyl, hot in the sun. I hate hot seats so much that in my cars the center seat panels are cloth, custom made to keep from burning my legs in the summer.

Last edited:
I think your question is more about the material than the brand of seat. I asked this question of Rick Mayer several years ago when I was considering leather versus vinyl. His answer was: if you ride in a hot climate and/or jeans then leather is the better material as it breathes and your bum won't sweat as much. If you ride in a cooler climate and/or wear synthetic riding gear then vinyl is the better choice.:)

Back