• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bungee Buddies

jgr451

Hey K speaking of stripes:do you recommend mounting bungie buddies on the horizontal face of the bag(on top) or on the vertical(the side)?
I have seen both.

I know I know new thread right?
:dunno

It is now. :lol

I've got mine on the lead edge of the bag and on the top rear. The fit with the MagsBag I've got better that way.

:dunno

Have you got pictures you could post?
I am really leery to drill holes in my nice BMW bags,even though I can see the value.
The buddies i have were installed on the rear cowling,in the factory holes now occupied by the reynolds backrest/rack.

Thanks for moving this post!!

These are the bags I use on the S and the RS. I hung them on the thicker inside part of the bag, which is stronger. I didn't use any kind of sealer, which is what the manufacturer recommends. Seems wierd to just put them on dry, but that's what they say to do and it works!

1394391-M.jpg

I have given up on bungees and now use Rok Straps. No hooks, no metal. They can't come off, they hold the load securely, and the soft webbing loops at the ends won't scratch paint.

They are a two part strap with a Fastex buckle in the middle. One side is 4.5 feet of 1" nylon webbing that can be adjusted for length at the buckle. It has a loop at the far end. The other side is a flat 1" wide bungee style strip about 6" long with a webbing loop at the far end.

You take it apart, wrap each end around a frame tube or the rack or anything else available, and then through the loop. Pull the adjustable side buckle to get a lot of slack, click the two halves together, then tug on the free end of the webbing on the adjustable side to tighten.

Disclaimer: I'm friends with one of the importers, but I paid retail for all 6 of mine.

I've been using these in conjunction with a carabiner and a short fastex equipped clip.

They work pretty nicely. And yeah, bungees are a problem waiting to happen.

A motorcycle is something I have to enjoy and fiddle with, so I don't have a problem with drilling the bags for bungee buddies.

A little common sense is in order. Stock BMW bags are plastic, and putting one's foot on the bike and applying muscle strength and 160 pounds of body weight to rachet down a sleeping bag is overkill. Riders who do that should not be surprised when the bag breaks, or when the bungee buddy breaks.

My reservation about bungee buddies is in the hassle of bungee straps. Last summer, I narrowly avoided losing an eye when strapping a tarp on a commercial trailer. The three-foot black rubber bungee let go at the other end, and I instinctively snap-turned my head. The knob portion nailed me in the left cheekbone, and I felt like I had been coldcocked in an Olongapo City bar fight. It throbbed for an hour, hurt the rest of the evening, and the bruise was visible for a week.

And I recalled hearing about a beemer rider who lost an eye several years ago at either Rocket City, or Hiwassee ... or was it the national? At any rate, a bungee strap slipped and the hook hit him in the eye. Bungee straps bring their own, inherent set of problems to the packing and traveling task.

When I was on a Wing, I had the benefit of the spacious luggage and top box for overnighters. But I dragged a trailer on extended trips. The Wing is not naturally set up to strap things on as is the beemer, and the body work is not as sturdy. (The Wingers call it "tupperware" for a reason. Pretty, yes -- but sturdy, no.)

Anyway, until I can justify a hitch and trailer for the K, straps of some type are my only option. Tent, kayak bag, sleeping bag, folding chair ... and who knows what else? Last night my kid found a small frig at Toys R Us that runs off of a 12 volt source. So if you see a K11 riding down the road with a frig looking backrest chilling the cool ones, wave -- it's probably me on my way to sneak a drink at the lakeside someplace. :D

Meanwhile, the Helen Twowheels strapping system is nice. And the rak strap arrangement posted above looks interesting.

Back