• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2011 RT not starting.

R

rvickery2

I searched the forum and can't find anything that sounds familiar. I have almost 19.000 trouble free miles. Last week the bike didn't start, when I turned the key on I could hear the fuel pump but no "engine check" triangles. The battery seems to be fine, the headlights are on, dash has mileage and radio works. But you get nothing! No starting whatsoever. This happened 2x while sitting outside and I put it back in the garage and the next day it was fine. Started up no problem. Now I find myself in the same situation. Rode it to work and now it won't start.

Any ideas?

You are probably a victim of the bad switches on the "improved" switch setup. We have had a number of riders I know have problems with the starter button on the same year-model bikes. Dealer run and probably a warranty setup.

no start

my 2011 did the same thing,dealer came and got but when it got to dealer started right up,has been fine since,

Probably an example of the well-known late-model switch failure. I had the exact same thing happen, everything boots up fine but when the starter button is pressed absolutely nothing happens.

A new switch and everything is fine.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I knew someone here would know what was happening. I got it to start and rode it to dealer without incident. Hopefully the new switch will last forever as this one was covered by warranty.

FYI- if it happens to anyone else- It's a heat related problem with the switch. The electrical contacts for the switch are thin strips which warp in the heat. That is why it is an intermittant problem and then it starts with no problem 30 minutes later. My service manager said if it happens you could blow on the switch with canned air like used to clean off computers and that will lower the temperature allowing a start. He said a big NO to WD-40.

FYI- if it happens to anyone else- It's a heat related problem with the switch. The electrical contacts for the switch are thin strips which warp in the heat. That is why it is an intermittant problem and then it starts with no problem 30 minutes later. My service manager said if it happens you could blow on the switch with canned air like used to clean off computers and that will lower the temperature allowing a start. He said a big NO to WD-40.

As canned air may be hard to come by in most places, my dealer suggested covering the switch in a rag soaked in ice water. That worked when I needed it to.

Funny you say that because I thought I was crazy! When it wouldn't start and I figured out that it only happened in the sun after sitting, I couldn't think of what in the hell would be "temperature related." This is why forums are priceless.

I love the way my dealer said "let me look at it, I've never heard of this before."

Funny you say that because I thought I was crazy! When it wouldn't start and I figured out that it only happened in the sun after sitting, I couldn't think of what in the hell would be "temperature related." This is why forums are priceless.

I love the way my dealer said "let me look at it, I've never heard of this before."

Did your dealer have a good or bad poker face when he said that? :nono
When I asked at the service counter of my dealership, I hadn't even gotten all my words out yet and he smiled and nodded and began explaining what it was.

As canned air may be hard to come by in most places, my dealer suggested covering the switch in a rag soaked in ice water. That worked when I needed it to.

We've had heat advisories recently around here and ice may be hard to come by...

Seriously, the only cans of air I've ever bought were large. Someone mentioned to me that Staples may have small cans, so if so, maybe we should keep a small one in a saddle bag.

Back