• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The Bloomsburg 1000

rob nye

Ritalin Poster Boy
Greetings,

After much time adjusting details and getting everything *just right* we're ready to open registration for the Bloomsburg 1000.

Presented by the Iron Butt Association the Bloomsburg 1000 is made up of four different rides. Three utilize different starting locations and routes of just over 1000 miles to the rally site in Bloomsburg, PA. Riders can depart anytime after12:01 a.m. Saturday, July 16th and 11:00 a.m. Thursday, July 21 from one of three locations west and south of Bloomsburg: Jacksonville, Florida, Springfield, Missouri, or Appleton, Wisconsin. You have 24 hours to complete the 1,000+ mile to Bloomsburg to be considered a finisher.

The fourth ride is a Saddle Sore that leaves from the rally site at 06:00 Wednesday morning. Riders who are doing the SS1K from the rally are welcome to arrive Tuesday afternoon and get set up. We'll be having a brief rider's meeting and seminar on LD riding tips and techniques Tuesday.

All riders who register for the Bloomsburg 1000 will be invited to the IBA's "pizza party"* scheduled for Friday evening. Finishers will receive their IBA plate backer, sticker and special ride pin at the party.

All this and instant membership in the Iron Butt Association is only $60.

Registration is open, for more please visit Ironbutt Records. You'll need to set up an account which is quick and easy.

* The "Pizza Party" goes back to the early days of the Iron Butt Rally. Every year at Daytona Bike Week finishers of the rally would meet at a secret location (Stavros) for a get together. Over the years this grew into a large gathering for any IBA member and was moved to Jacksonville but the tradition of calling post ride gathering Pizza Parties continues. In Bloomsburg we'll be enjoying fresh pizza prepared locally by a member of the MOA!

Hey Sounds GREAT to me!!

The local Springfield club has 8-10 members who have said they are planning on doing this! I'll forward this link to them Rob.

I think we should get a contest going to see which local club has the most riders enter......

WHAT SAY YOU???

Hey Sounds GREAT to me!!

The local Springfield club has 8-10 members who have said they are planning on doing this! I'll forward this link to them Rob.

I think we should get a contest going to see which local club has the most riders enter......

WHAT SAY YOU???

I think you guys would win a club prize with 10 but who knows.

Registration is open at www.ironbuttrecords.com

the 1000 that leaves from the rally site Sat., is there a set route or do you plan your own route to cover the 1000 miles?

the 1000 that leaves from the rally site Sat., is there a set route or do you plan your own route to cover the 1000 miles?

It is a set route.

Your certificates will included the cities used for verification on your route. In other words there is a certificate for each starting location and one for the SS1K that leaves the rally site.

The SS1K "corners" will be as follows:

Akron, OH and Wytheville, VAin that order, i.e. Bloomsburg to Akron to Wytheville then back to Bloomsburg.

Is there a brief description of the IBA route starting at Jacksonville without having to set up an account with IBA just to check the route? I'm already an IBA member, but don't want to jump through more hoops just to check a route. And I know its not even 1000 miles to Bloomsburg from where I live about 140 mile south of Jax.

I'm torn between breaking up the trip to the Rally into segments, or doing a SS1000 to get there. The key factor is whether I end up using the bike I've already done a SS ride on, or my other BMW. And what the route will be - I hate Interstates and did my first SS1000 with minimal superslab time. So that's where my questions are coming from.

Mark,

For these types of rides we keep them as simple as possible. This results in a ride that will be mostly slab. I like to think that the destination and achievement are worth grinding it out on the highway.

For the Jacksonville Fl start one needs to get a receipt in Charleston, WV and arrive in Bloomsburg inside of 24hrs after leaving Jacksonville. We don't follow set routes, we only specify locations where you must get receipts, however we did pick the locations to be along interstates.

Best,

Rob Nye

Thanks Rob. That certainly keeps that Jax, FL route simple. It still looks to be just under 1000 miles - I need to sit down and really audit my potential route(s) to see if I should do it or not.

Thanks Rob. That certainly keeps that Jax, FL route simple. It still looks to be just under 1000 miles - I need to sit down and really audit my potential route(s) to see if I should do it or not.

If you can come up with a route that starts in Jax, gets a receipt in Charleston and ends in Bloomsburg in less than 1000 miles please me know, as I'd have to change the requirements for the ride to keep it legal.

Thanks,

Rob Nye

Rob,

I did go back and re-run route options using Google Maps and could not come up with a route under 1000.

I'm trying to remember where I got my original figures, but I want to blame the bad numbers on an Atlas with some apparently inaccurate mileage tables. I was coming up with something in the range of mid - 900s. But now all my trial routes are coming in at over 1000 miles.(Actually a little over 1100). And the first half of the most direct route is one I have just ridden in the last month, so I can vouch for the Google calculations almost as far as the halfway point.

I think in the end, I may forego this SS1000 opportunity since I have already accomplished one so far, and there is a great area I want to revisit on the way up. But, I know the SS opportunity is there, so only time will tell.

Mark,

No worries. I was concerned that I missed something when I submitted the routes to the IBA for approval.

One thing to keep in mind if you already have an IBA number you are welcome to sign up for the pizza party.

We also have the SS1K departing from the rally early Wednesday. There's something special about the "instant certificate" rides especially when the certificate is presented by an IBA official. In this case we have Bill Shaw, Editor of the Iron Butt Magazine (and MOA Ambassador) presenting certificates. There is a chance we may even have IBA President, Mike Kneebone in Bloomsburg too.

You could have a great ride over the mountains from Florida departing after work Friday to Tuesday evening, set up your camp site (if your camping) and do the BB1K Wednesday morning.

In "nine day week" you could four great days of twisty time to the rally, a SS1K certificate, a couple of days chillin' on site and two days home.

Rob, where does one sign up for the pizza party? I did the Redmond 1000 and had a wonderful time at the party!

Rob, where does one sign up for the pizza party? I did the Redmond 1000 and had a wonderful time at the party!

We'll have the party only sign up sorted out soon.

Last year we sold tickets on site however I think this year we may do it on-line too.

Best,

Rob Nye

Start Date for Springfield?

Just signed up for Bloomsburg 1000 from Springfield (my first Iron Butt event).

I want to leave early on Saturday, July 16th, but the form indicates the earliest Start Date is Sunday, July 17th. When is the earliest Start Date for Springfield?

I also saw a note from March that the Springfield Roadriders are providing a start witness at the Holiday Inn in NE Springfield. Is that still on and when will the witness be available. Thinking of riding into Springfield from Kansas City to that Holiday Inn the day before.

I want to leave early on Saturday, July 16th, but the form indicates the earliest Start Date is Sunday, July 17th. When is the earliest Start Date for Springfield?

I also saw a note from March that the Springfield Roadriders are providing a start witness at the Holiday Inn in NE Springfield. Is that still on and when will the witness be available. Thinking of riding into Springfield from Kansas City to that Holiday Inn the day before.

Please go ahead and plan your ride for a Saturday morning departure.

I'll get the form corrected ASAP, but I don't have direct access so it could be a day or to or three.

The official start time is anytime after 00:01 Saturday July 16th.

That's what only a few days more than a month away! :groovy

Is there a start date for Appleton? A start witness? Any suggestion on routes?

This will be my first Iron butt and could use some help, suggestions?:scratch

TD- If you will PM me I will either be there myself or will arrange for a SpfRR to be there as a start witness. Candice Ledbetter is a good contact at the Holiday Inn in Springfield also. Depending on how early you intend to leave she could sign for you or someone at the front desk.

At any rate let me know your plans and we can work from there.

Ken

Is there a start date for Appleton? A start witness? Any suggestion on routes?

This will be my first Iron butt and could use some help, suggestions?:scratch

Hello and welcome.

While we don't provide or require you to ride a specific route we will be requiring Appleton starters to get a receipt from a specific gas station in MI.

The start location was selected as many folks from Wisconsin preferred to ride over the Mackinac Bridge vs Chicago which is what I would suggest.

From there it's I75 to I80 and next thing you know you're rallying!

Back