• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Schuberth and J&M Headsets?

1flyer

Good Morning All,

I called J&M to ask about a headset for my Schuberth helmet. I received a polite reply that J&M didn't recommend any of their headsets for use in a Schuberth. When I asked if there was a problem I should be aware of with J&M's installed in a Schuberth they were a little hesitant to talk and suggested I e-mail John Lazzeroni himself (the "J" in J&M?). His reply back wasn't any more informative. I had sent an e-mail to Schuberth back in March asking them about headsets and they were non-committal also, other than "lots of people" have successfully installed headsets. Anyone know what's going on? Has anyone with a J&M headset in a Schuberth had any problems? I kept getting the impression there may be more to the story.

My dealer said that there wasn't as much room for the J&M in the Schubert as in other helmets. They were hesitant to do it also. I know that the dealer in Charlotte NC has done it before. My Schubert fits tight enough around the ears that I've decided against it.

I was able to put a headset into mine. It required some very small torx screw drivers, a dremel moto tool, two sided tape, intestinal fortitude (for taking it apart and sculpting the hard foam) and a great deal of patience.

It took the better part of 6-8 hours (I wanted to make absolutely sure I could get it back together). I was really surprised that there are molded in ear cups for a head set. They were too shallow for the J&M ones and I had to shape them (very carefully) but it worked very well. The worst part was adapting the cheek piece for the microphone.

I suspect (but cannot prove) that several things are at work; insurance, volume and marketing considerations. Everyone (perhaps especially BMW/Schuberth) is very concerned about insurance in this litigious society. The German helmets probably don't have the volume to interest a manufacturer in creating a "system". And isn't JM in bed with some other helmet manufacturer?

Still like the helmet and for me it was a worth while project.

Back