• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Lodi, CA to South Carolina - First week of June

MikeW_in_SC

I’ll be picking up my new K13GT June 3rd in Cali and riding her back to the East coast.

The Tioga Pass portion is still in question, it may not open in time, but the rest is pretty firm. I hope to hit Grizzly Giant, Tioga, a stop in Vegas, the Grand Canyon, the Petrified Forest, and the Dragon, with random stops along the way. I’m due back on the East coast the following Sunday, June 9th.

Suggestions, waypoints, alerts, or just meetups are welcome. The route as it currently stands is linked below.

The Ride Home

I’ll be picking up my new K13GT June 3rd in Cali and riding her back to the East coast.

The Tioga Pass portion is still in question, it may not open in time, but the rest is pretty firm. I hope to hit Grizzly Giant, Tioga, a stop in Vegas, the Grand Canyon, the Petrified Forest, and the Dragon, with random stops along the way. I’m due back on the East coast the following Sunday, June 9th.

Suggestions, waypoints, alerts, or just meetups are welcome. The route as it currently stands is linked below.

The Ride Home

If it were me, I'd choose the Cherohala Skyway over the Tail of the Dragon. The latter, to me, is a disaster waiting to happen. Too many people trying to go too fast, all in one small space.

I hope to hit Grizzly Giant, Tioga, a stop in Vegas, the Grand Canyon, the Petrified Forest, and the Dragon, with random stops along the way. I’m due back on the East coast the following Sunday, June 9th.

I don't know if you're a geologist and have 'a Thing' for Petrified Wood, but I'd head northeast instead if I were U after visiting the Grand Canyon (and 'we' graduated from ASU)...

Found this map on the web: SE Utah is well worth exploring! Go thru Monument Valley, and by Mexican Hat, then find a way to traverse Moki Dugway (from south to the north plateau), and move on to see some of the nearby magnificent National Parks in Utah!!! That would be my gift to U, Lad. There's also "Four Corners," but that might be well out of your way. But be sure to take extra water and a cooling scarf or vest! It can be pretty darned hot & dry in that mountainous, desert area.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
map-moki-dugway-UT.gif

REGARDS! HSV-Phil + HSV-Karen

It’s beautiful, but there’s this little thing called time... :banghead

I’ve got from Monday afternoon, CA time, until Sunday, SC time, to get across this great nation. While I could theoretically do it in less than three days, that would take all of the fun out of it. I’ll look at what UT adds to the trip, but it looks like a whole day at first glance.

As to other options vs. the Dragon, I’ve been all through the Tennessee mountains but somehow never ridden the Tail. I figure it’s due.

FWIW, the 'heartland' is just flat & windswept. U don't know when you'll be traversing that section of the US, so invest some of your valuable time Whilst U Can!!! :blah Then hightail it east. You can do the Dragon any old time being in SC...

Back