• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Is There a GPS Power Plug on a 2011 R1200 RT?

Michael B

I finally decided to put a Garmin GPS on my 2011 1200 RT. I think someone told me there is a power plug under the handlebars in the upper portion of the fork area. I looked with a flashlight and if there, it could be any number of things. Where is it EXACTLY?

If one is there, what kind of end connector do you need to plug into the power plug and where can you get one?

My alternative is to run the GPS from a Powerlet socket, but I'd like to save the socket for something else.

Thanks for any help!

I finally decided to put a Garmin GPS on my 2011 1200 RT. I think someone told me there is a power plug under the handlebars in the upper portion of the fork area. I looked with a flashlight and if there, it could be any number of things. Where is it EXACTLY?

If one is there, what kind of end connector do you need to plug into the power plug and where can you get one?

My alternative is to run the GPS from a Powerlet socket, but I'd like to save the socket for something else.

Thanks for any help!
Hi Michael, there are a number of threads on this issue. Try this one http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=64076&highlight=gps+connector
There are more.
I'll move this over to Hexhead/Camhead for you. Good luck. OM

Direct power;

I run my Garmin directly to battery for no key use if I wish. Fused link. I have left the GPS on a few times overnight and the draw is so little, the battery never is affected. Some have auto shut off, I've heard, or go into rest mode if left on. Had mine connected this way for last 3 years, perfect for me:). Randy:thumb

Use caution. Garmin has models that run on distinctly different voltages. My older units (III, III+, V, BMW Navigator, etc run on 12 v power.

My Nuvi's run on 5v power as from a USB port.

With the older 12v units you can just cut the cord and attach an adaptor plug for a BMW socket, or a fused lead to the battery.

With the newer units that use a USB type cord count on 5 volts. You will need a USB adaptor that wires to the battery or somewhere.

And for you vintage fans with 6v systems, the 5v units tolerate your 6v battery voltage just fine.

76cs here;

My Garmin 76CS runs fine with direct battery and is probably 7-8+ years old. Nice tip about GPS voltage I didn't know:). I still have my offshore(Blue) charts of the Pacific Coast in there too, finding it "hard" to navigate the GSA past the coastline:). It was my sailboats GPS unit, transfered to the GSA:) a while back. Still works quite well, but getting older/outdated. Me too! Randy:thumb

Back