• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1200 GT Transmission Whine

H

Hallowell12

I just bought a 2008 1200GT yesterday with 500 miles. After 25 years of Harley riding there is lots to get used to. The first 200 miles have been a lot of fun.

I was wondering about the high pitched whine of the transmission in the K-Bike - especially when rolling it on at highway speed - is this normal? It did seem to be getting pretty loud at times.

"Loud Transmissions Save Lives?" I think not!

Never driven a BWM before, so I have no frame of reference.

Any ideas?

Just to be safe I would check the final drive fluid level along with the trans fluid level. If you are running pilot road 2 tires- mine tend to whine a little when I get the bike off center. The most important thing to remember is that-unlike any harley you have owned- that bike is a high rev, high horsepower 4 cylinder engine. The deep throaty low rev, high torque (relative that is), and probably loud harley runs much differently; I would check it out, but don't be surprised if that is just traits of the drive shaft 4 cylinder.

I just bought a 2008 1200GT yesterday with 500 miles. After 25 years of Harley riding there is lots to get used to. The first 200 miles have been a lot of fun.

I was wondering about the high pitched whine of the transmission in the K-Bike - especially when rolling it on at highway speed - is this normal? It did seem to be getting pretty loud at times.

"Loud Transmissions Save Lives?" I think not!

Never driven a BWM before, so I have no frame of reference.

Any ideas?

What you are experiencing is common, especially when coming from HD, you will notice more sounds other than exhaust, transmission clunking upon engagement
is normal, sirens from behind when doing 130mph is not uncommon.

Seriously tho never really noticed a high pitched whine from tranny, usually pretty darn quiet, but definitely different from my Harleys sound at speed.

Ditto on the FD exam, pretty simple.

P.S. are you aware of the front brake line recall?

Thanks

I'm sure it's a bit of adjustment, but I think I'll take it to the dealer to be sure. I wonder if BMW dealers are as hard core about porting and polishing your wallet as much as HD dealers... I suspect so!

Thanks for the comments.

I'm sure it's a bit of adjustment, but I think I'll take it to the dealer to be sure. I wonder if BMW dealers are as hard core about porting and polishing your wallet as much as HD dealers... I suspect so!

Thanks for the comments.

Good idea for a once over at dealer, then they can run the vin for any recallls or updates.

Hang on to her and enjoy the speed and handling.

If ya want a bit of growl that u may be missing, I put on a Leo vince Hexacone
Carbon fibre can. Has a removable baffle, but that gets a tad louder than I prefer.

Back