• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Mapping Update

robocop

I am getting messages from my dealer installed Navigation unit that it's time for a map update. In a nutshell, just how do you get that done? Something simple please......

The navigator is built by Garmin. Download Garmin Express to a computer. Start the program and then plug your navigator into the computer. It should figure out the rest and walk you through it.

I'm not sure how you'd be getting a message letting you know it's time for a map update, unless you already had your GPS connected to your computer, and had Garmin Express running.

What GPS model do you have? And, do you already have Garmin Express downloaded, and running on your PC/Mac? If you do, you should be offered the option of downloading the latest maps to either you GPS, your computer (for use with Basecamp), or both.

Garmin Express will also let you know if there are any firmware updates for the GPS itself.

I'm not sure how you'd be getting a message letting you know it's time for a map update, unless you already had your GPS connected to your computer, and had Garmin Express running.

The GPS device itself has some kind of routine that looks at the date of the installed map and displays a message at start-up telling you that your maps are out of date. No connection to a computer or Garmin Express is needed for this message to appear.

The GPS device itself has some kind of routine that looks at the date of the installed map and displays a message at start-up telling you that your maps are out of date. No connection to a computer or Garmin Express is needed for this message to appear.

Interesting. I've got a Nav V, and a Nav VI, and I've never seen that. Maybe I'm too OCD to ever have had that happen, i.e., reading about an update somewhere online, then immediately updating my maps.

That would explain it marcopolo. I think the warning doesn't appear until the maps are about a year out of date.

As for the original question, post 2 is correct. Try Garmin express.

The original poster might also look at a dedicated forum for Zumo GPS devices. A very helpful group specially answering Zumo questions.

Www.zumoforums.com

That would explain it marcopolo. I think the warning doesn't appear until the maps are about a year out of date.

As for the original question, post 2 is correct. Try Garmin express.

The original poster might also look at a dedicated forum for Zumo GPS devices. A very helpful group specially answering Zumo questions.

Www.zumoforums.com
I think that is likely the case. I bought the City Navigator Europe NT Full Coverage maps on an SD Card several years ago and will see that mesage from time to time.

Back