• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Garmin "Overlander" - Good For Off-Roaders?

That is slick. I wonder what the water resistance is. Also, not a fan of the ram mount.
It is cheaper than the BMW branded ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I looked at the unit but didn’t generate much enthusiasm for it. It’s physical size is a bit intrusive and it’s not waterproof, which is enough right there to steer me away from it. I don’t have an issue with the RAM mounting as it makes it easy and inexpensive to use the device on multiple bikes, and I am skeptical about whether or not the aftermarket vendors will be developing mount systems—they certainly haven’t with units like the Dezl. Bottom line is that the Overlander is targeted toward the RV and Unimog-type market, not motorcycles. YOMV, of course.

Best,
DG

I looked at the unit but didn’t generate much enthusiasm for it. It’s physical size is a bit intrusive and it’s not waterproof, which is enough right there to steer me away from it. I don’t have an issue with the RAM mounting as it makes it easy and inexpensive to use the device on multiple bikes, and I am skeptical about whether or not the aftermarket vendors will be developing mount systems—they certainly haven’t with units like the Dezl. Bottom line is that the Overlander is targeted toward the RV and Unimog-type market, not motorcycles. YOMV, of course.

Best,
DG

From Garmin's specs, it looks like the unit is rated "IPX5" so "IPX5 means that the product can resist jets of pressurized water. It is important to note that a product rated to be fully submersed in water cannot necessarily survive pressurized water jet."

In theory it should be just fine on a motorcycle. I've been using a Nuvi with a bead of silicone, duct tape, and a ram mount for the last 50,000 miles without problems.

As you noted, RAM has some nice (splashproof with modification) mounts for the Dezl 570 and 770/780. However, when I called to inquire about if they were going to make anything for the 580, they stated "no" - I don't really need a 7 inch GPS, so I'll stick with my Nuvi until it bites the dust.

I couldn't find anywhere if it would pair with a bluetooth headset like the Dezl or Zumo series, just that you can pair it via bluetooth to your phone.

Greg Rice has a nice writeup about using nonmotorcycle GPS's on your ride: http://www.gregrice.com/2012v2/2797/garmin2797.html

Back