• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Stupid moments......anybody care to share?

B

buckeyeclark

I climbed on my bike this morning and headed off into the dark on my 20 mile commute. The first time I turn my high beams on, which I have my PIAA 1100s hooked to...guess what...they don't work!!!!! So I pulled to the side of the road, got out my flashlight and tool kit, removed the side panel and started trying to figure out if I had blown a fuse or maybe burnt through a wire or whatever. I would say I had about 10 to 15 minutes into this little investigation when a thought popped into my head. Sure enough I opened the tank bag and there lay the switch to the PIAAs in the off position:banghead , yes I keep it in my tank bag! :blush I really should mount that thing somewhere that I can see it!!!!!! Am I the only one that this kind of crap happens to?????

I was working on my 2000 chysler cirrus the other day. Busted timing belt. I was trying to loosen the pivot bolt for the power steering pump and could not get a socket on it from above. So I got underneath and was able to but could not turn the socket at all due to the pully from the pump being in the way.

Here I am cursing the designer of the automobile for making everything so freaking crowded in there and I gave up for the day. Was riding my bike home from work a few days later and said into my helmet.....hey stupid.....you were trying to turn the socket the wrong way.

I had never changed direction for getting under the car instead of being over. :banghead :doh :ha

I am able to laugh at myself.

How many times have WE lost keys to our bikes...only to find them in the seat release lock after tearing up the shop:scratch especially on the over the taillight lock location

How many times have WE lost keys to our bikes...only to find them in the seat release lock after tearing up the shop:scratch especially on the over the taillight lock location

I have done this very thing sooooo many times that I you'd think I would learn. But no - I don't!

Am I the only one that this kind of crap happens to?????

Heck No! You are one of the few to admit it!

My Darwinian lapse: :hungover
Unhooked my bike from the side car.
Swapped out rear car tire for Metz880. I have two rear rims.
Checking the tire pressures I plug in the compressor and check the front.
A little low - Start to top it off through the inline gauge. I hear air moving...
Getting lower... Huh? :scratch 35-33 -32-30... Wha...? What the heck is going on?
Long story short... It helps to attach the other end of the hose to the compressor. :banghead

So, no you are not alone. :whistle

nope...never done anything dumb.:hide But you guys keep this up....:lurk

Heck, I've torn the house apart looking for my key only to find it in the ignition of the bike in the garage. :banghead

Hey all; While I'm sure I'm not the only one who has done this, it's still pretty embarrassing; Ride bike to bar(in this case, a '66 XLCH sportster) I think that was mistake number one actually. go inside (I know that was a mistake!!) Drink WAY too much (It just gets uglier and uglier) and then try to start the bike to ride home. For those lucky ones who aren't familiar with these old Harley's, they came with a magneto that could be a bit cantankerous in the best of circumstances, when drunk (Guilty, your honor) they could be down right embarrassing. I kicked that beast for twenty minutes trying to get it started, all the time twisting the throttle to give it more fuel. (The carb on these bikes have an accelerator pump that squirts fuel when you twist the throttle.) By now, there's fuel running out of the pipes. At this point, I remember to advance the magneto to the start position and flip the kill switch to "run". First kick, BANG!!! Flames two feet long out the pipes, and while the bike didn't throw me over the bars as some folks claim they will, it did take me a long while before my right leg would hold my weight unassisted!! I stopped bar hopping shortly there after. Vaya con Dios, Dutch

Well, since on HD's & bars...old HD's had a padlock for front forks...ever come out of bar with naggin' drunk soon to be X and in the haste to leave the area forget to remove said lock?...only did it once:banghead made a hell of a left hand sweeping turn and tumped in front of everyone...X never stoppped yakkin' the whole slow motion event:blah:blah:blah...

Got off my bike but forgot to deploy the kickstand. I can't stop it from falling over and scratching the left side. Grab hold of it and lift it upright. When it gets upright, it doesn't stop and falls over and scratches the right side. This is in the middle of a busy shopping center and nobody stops to help. I finally get it upright and slink off into the sunset.

Henzilla; Never did that myself. (Figured if anyone wanted that bike THAT badly, they could have it!!) Had a buddy lose the key for the MASSIVE Master lock he used to use on his pan head though. This lock was one serious lock, and it wouldn't budge for anything. (They are really bullet proof, don't ask how we know!) Finally "borrowed" a wagon (yes, a little red "American flyer" wagon from some apartment building next to the bar) and loaded the bike into it. This was in the olden days, when toy wagons had steel wheels, don't you know. talk about funny, it took three of us to push that stupid thing the four miles back to Freds house. Ended up taken a torch to it, really screwed up the paint on the frame too. Vaya con Dios, Dutch

Rolled up to a stoplight, put right foot down in what looked like a puddle. It was
a 4" deep pothole filled with water. Me and bike go over, gas cap pops open, leg
stuck under bike, teenage girls help me lift the bike off myself. Redneck in PU
behind me laughing his ass off the whole time.

Okay, okay. There was this friend of mine...
O' dark thirty, leaving Four Winds Rally. I was out of the lot first, and waited at the entrance for BlackFly,
who was still putting on his helmet.
In a few minutes, a grey GS flew by, grey 'Stitch, and I fell in behind, still half asleep.
About three miles up the road, I'm getting a bad feeling, especially when he signals a second turn
onto a minor road heading southwest.

OOOOOOPS! Pennsylvania plates!

I backtracked and caught up to BlackFly at the highway interchange. :whistle

How we do it in the mid west

Stupid moment: Kill my bike when starting out

Occurance: Twice a week at least

How?: Go to first with the kick stand down

Laugh meter: Usually done in front of big dudes in pickups or on HD's

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Stupid moment: Take off from a red light turn arrow with egg on my face

Occurance: Twice a month at least

How?: Pull up to a long light, leave the bike in second or third, then when it goes green, "suddenly"see I need to downshift repeatedly before going, thus inciting "you idiot" thoughts being directed towards me and honks of disapproval as I hold up the turn.

Four years ago while admiring my new GS I decided to sit on it while drunk and camping. I knew better than to ride but just had to sit on the bike. My wife told me I had better get off the bike before I did something stupid, I did but forgot to put the kickstand down and fell over in gravel. No damage except to my pride and I had to pick that thing up for the first and so far the last time in 65,000 miles.

Brett Endress
Altoona PA

Stupid moment: Take off from a red light turn arrow with egg on my face

Occurance: Twice a month at least

How?: Pull up to a long light, leave the bike in second or third, then when it goes green, "suddenly"see I need to downshift repeatedly before going, thus inciting "you idiot" thoughts being directed towards me and honks of disapproval as I hold up the turn.

It is OHHHHHHHH so hard to be cool doing this...... :hungover

Back