• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Milling heads for more Compression

Got some spare heads,am sending them out for dual plugging and am considering milling for higher compression.Have R100 at 8.2;1 considering .025 off for 8.7;1 or .040 off for 9.0:1.Any problem w/valve to piston clearence.Please speak from expearence. Thank you

I have only enough experience to offer, without knowing the year and model that R100 head came on no one can be certain of your questions. Check part nos and MAXBMW to verify what you got, then report to any guru for specifics. Will say sounds like a very good plan with those low comp heads. I got an earlier 9.5 and thinking about dropping that just a bit to be rid of the last bits of ping. But I get super mpg and don't want to give up a bit of that as well.

Got some spare heads,am sending them out for dual plugging and am considering milling for higher compression.Have R100 at 8.2;1 considering .025 off for 8.7;1 or .040 off for 9.0:1.Any problem w/valve to piston clearence.Please speak from expearence. Thank you

If I was you, I would talk to Ted Porter. As much as anyone he knows the variations through the Airhead years. One of the top US Airhead suppliers for heads rebuilding and refining. He will be doing mine likely next winter.

Just a happy customer, but I might buy stock if he went public.

I had .030 taken off my '82 R100RS with no issues. This gives a compression ratio of 8.7 to 1.

I used to own one of the most highly modded airheads around, and IMHO, if you're after more chassis and/or engine performance, you're better off to put your money into an Oiler. Airheads are just fine as they come out of the crate. At most, I would replace the triple tree with a thicker unit and brace the swingarm.

Anyway, have fun. :thumb

The bike is a 1983 R100 and I'm using it with sidecar.Changing final to 37;11 and am looking for a little more power in 4th and something in 5th.Pistons are 8.2;1

You could always install a set of higher compression pistons...

Back