• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K-Bike gauge ratings

blackfly

Sled Doggs
K-Bike guage ratings

On my '96 K-RS (like most previous years), BMW uses MotoMeter guages for fuel level and coolant temp. They look like VDO Cockpit guages, except they have "MotoMeter" near the bottom of the face.

Can anyone tell me what the voltage/impedance is on these guages so that I can replace them with the appropriate VDO models? I cannot seem to find the ratings for either guage. There probably is a way to check by using a multimeter - I just do not know the correct procedure.

Many thanks.

fred burgess
Brunswick, ME

To be clear: What I am looking for is replacement VDO gauges that are compatible with the sending units of the K1100RS. Sorry if you were confused.

fb

The fuel level sender resistance should be easy enough to measure. Remove the fuel cap to gain access to the fuel level float. It would be best to do this with an almost empty tank. Unplug the fuel level sender from the wire harness and hook an ohmmeter up to the leads. I believe that it can be accessed at the rear of the tank. You may have to raise the rear of the tank. Raise the float to its highest (full) position and read the meter. Lower the float to its lowest (empty) position and read the meter. That should give you an idea if VDO makes a replacement gauge that will work.

kioolt said:
The fuel level sender resistance should be easy enough to measure. Remove the fuel cap to gain access to the fuel level float. It would be best to do this with an almost empty tank. Unplug the fuel level sender from the wire harness and hook an ohmmeter up to the leads. I believe that it can be accessed at the rear of the tank. You may have to raise the rear of the tank. Raise the float to its highest (full) position and read the meter. Lower the float to its lowest (empty) position and read the meter. That should give you an idea if VDO makes a replacement gauge that will work.

Good thought - and also the temperture sensor should be fairly easy to measure. You can measure it at the gauge plug, and if you measure it at 20C (room temp - ~71F) and then when the fan comes on (~195F) you'll have values to start with.

Is there a particular reason not to just order the BMW gauges?

:cool:

Well, I have immediate access to the VDO line and there are two possible configurations for the temp gauge. I think the fuel gauge has three possible. I was sort of hoping someone out there would have the impedance/ohm rating from a technical source.

Perhaps not...

fb

Revisit.

I tested the original sensor and decidied to replace it. Although the sensor was not in spec, that was not the problem. There is a damping mechanism inside that is defective.

The (OEM) BMW gauge retails for US$96.00. So, at US$30, the VDO Professional Cockpit replacement is the logical choice.

Although I do not know absolutely, it would appear that Motometer is the 'division' that BMW AG established to source instrumentation for all applications.

The Cockpit gauge is so in fit, finish and design, that VDO must be the manufacturer.

fwiw.

fred:brow

Back