• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Navigator V vs. Speedometer Difference ???

tzc1999

Greetings. I've noticed that my Navigator V unit consistently displays between 2-4mph faster than the speedometer on the regular / standard display. It may not matter really but was 1). Surprised that the Navigator doesn't seem to be using information sent from the bike for this statistic (as it must for other things, ie. odometer, miles to re-fuel etc., etc.). Is the Navigator figuring out the MPH on its own through its GPS perhaps? 2. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this or could offer insight. Again, I'm not sure its a big enough thing to worry about but perhaps there are other aspects I should be considering and have not thought of. Thanks. Cheers! (BTW: Bike is a s1000xr, 2016)

Yup - GPS.

ALL motorcycle speedometers are degraded 3-7% at the time of manufacturing.

You can research why, as commenting here would be tantamount to "an oil thread!" :banghead

Both of my bikes and my wife's bike read nearly 10% low compared to my GPSs. My 94 R1100RS was dead on on the speed, but the odometer was high by about 2%.

I was thinking the exact same thing on the weekend.

I was driving in my car, which has a built-in Sat Nave system, and it matches the speed on the Sat Nav to the speed displayed on the cars speedometer.
On my 2015 R1200GS with the NAV-V I see differences in the displayed speed (My GPS says I'm going slower than the speedometer).
BMW and/or Garmin have made the choice not to match the two and this may or may not be the best thing, but it is what it is.

As to why, well at the risk of opening a can of worms, I am of the opinion that a GPS is only so accurate at location (to within a couple of metres/yards at best unless you are military and dropping bombs). As for moving object, possibly less so and fluctuates.
The speedometer is (as many have said) set to read faster than your actual speed to accommodate a range of factors and still be on the "safe" side.

Rolling circumference apart from simple accuracy of the equipment is the key factor when it comes to the bikes ability to read speed and distance traveled, because the bike is actually not in truth reading either. As I understand it, it is reading the number of rotations of the wheel. This is very precise, but the variations occur between that measurement and the road surface.

tzc1999,

In reply to your first question, how would the bike communicate to the Nav V? I don't believe the nav unit connects to the bike's data bus.

I find it interesting the your bike's indicated speed is slower than the GPS reading (I'm assuming the GPS is accurate). The accepted practice here in the US is to have the speedometer indicate faster than actual to avoid speeding tickets. I couldn't find a federal regulation on speedometer accuracy for motorcycles, but the SAE standard for electric speedometers, J1226, recommends a calibration within two percent (plus or minus) of the total indicated speed range, or a calibration within four percent with a bias toward reading high. And keep in mind that this is percentage of the maximum value displayed on the speedometer, not a percentage of the actual speed.

The European Union does have a speedometer standard. Speedometers cannot read slower than actual. For bikes with a maximum speed over 150 kph (93 mph), tests are conducted at 40, 80, and 120 kph and the errors on the fast side cannot exceed 1% + 4 kph. Your BMW should be built to this standard.

In reply to your first question, how would the bike communicate to the Nav V? I don't believe the nav unit connects to the bike's data bus.

Since at least 2005, BMW has provided a three conductor plug that connects to the Nav mount, providing 12VDC power and a speed pulse signal from the ZFE. I cannot say how Garmin actually uses that signal, but it is available for their use.

True. But I believe the speed signal is only used by the GPS when there aren't enough satellites in view to determine speed, as when riding through a tunnel.

Thanks all!

tzc1999,
I find it interesting the your bike's indicated speed is slower than the GPS reading (I'm assuming the GPS is accurate).

Thanks to all for the replies. Its good to know "its not just me". For curiosities sake, I need today to go and make sure I got the direction of the difference the correct way. I wrote the original post from memory (which for me can have its issues) and recalled the GPS being faster than the Bike speedometer. It would make more sense to be the other way around and perhaps I reversed the direction. Regardless, good information to know that these types of differences are, for lack of a better word, "normal".

Cheers!

I have a Nav V on my 2015 GSA, and have had various Garmin GPSs since 2005 on four different BMWs. In all cases, the bikes' speedometers displayed speeds which were higher than the speeds shown on the GPSs.

I have a Nav V on my 2015 GSA, and have had various Garmin GPSs since 2005 on four different BMWs. In all cases, the bikes' speedometers displayed speeds which were higher than the speeds shown on the GPSs.
Yup, me too. This is a variation on a theme. When I owned Triumphs there all kinds of threads on speedo being optimistic from 5-10%. That was before the widespread use of GPS. Similar threads were posted for a bunch of major brands. The seemingly unusual thing was the odometer was spot on. There were several gismos sold to adjust the speedo, but in every case if you got the speedo right the odometer changed as well. On my GS the the speedo is so small it's hard to compare it with my Nav V. I've got another post "GPS Speed in Turns" which points out that GPS isn't perfect either.

I've had a few motorcycles in the past, and there has always been the complaint that the speedometer is off. Then I bought a Honda NT700V and found the speedometer to be spot on. However, the MPG readout was a joke.

Something will always not be "perfect". I just adjust the MPH in my mind and ride with the traffic.

Chris

Back