• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What's been the experience with purchase of new tires at the rally?

RichardCook

I am considering getting new tires for the Rally ride. Are there likely to be good replacements available at the rally itself? Anyone have experience with getting a new set of tires there? TNX

I was wondering the same thing.

If there is someone selling are they also installing?
Anyone know when we will see a vendor list?

I have been debating if I should buy new tires before I go or not.

Swamped usually;

I did it once at a National Rally and the tire vendors were very busy doing tire work and sales were very brisk indeed. I would not expect my tires there, unless you get in early to the vendor. They(the vendors) can ship new ones in, as business requires, of course. I took my wheels off my bike and took 'em over to the rally vendor and they were much more appreciative, having the rims off the bike already:)and got her done quicker this way. Good luck, Randy:D

If there is someone selling are they also installing?
Anyone know when we will see a vendor list?

I have been debating if I should buy new tires before I go or not.

I too might need a tire during the rally and am waiting for the Vendor list. I was told that it would be out by late this month or next.

I personally would make other plans than to get tires at the rally. A couple of years ago people where all upset that the poor over worked tire vendor was completely swamped. Several people had taken their wheels off to take to the vendor and it was taking about 1 day to get them changed.

Do you really want to spend your rally standing around waiting for them to get to your wheels. Just make plans to get tires on the way too or from the rally, and save yourself major hassles.

Very helpful advice...thank you!

Thanks all around. I think I will take it by the dealer and get new tires before I begin the ride out. It's good to know that there will be vendors there if needed but it certainly makes sense to avoid having to stand in line if possible. My local dealer (Chicago BMW) is not far away and the guys there are nice people who do good work at a reasonable price. I'll go up there and get a pair. I'll get a pair of Metzler 880 Marathons and be ready to roll!

I know I will be doing at least two tire changes on this trip. The rally tire vendors are swamped but, that is good reason too visit the Bier Garten.

Take Care
Pat Carol

I know I will be doing at least two tire changes on this trip. The rally tire vendors are swamped but, that is good reason too visit the Bier Garten.

Or in this case.......Saloon:drink

The vendor list should be on the rally site in mid-June. Want to be sure to include everyone. I'm told BMW of Sturgis folks will be staffing the Metzeler truck.

I am considering getting new tires for the Rally ride. Are there likely to be good replacements available at the rally itself? Anyone have experience with getting a new set of tires there? TNX

I'd get the new tires before I head out for the rally. The distance between Nationals and the nearest BMW dealer is quite a ride if you are on socks. The asphalt in the mountains will eat tires. Don't expect dealers to stock up on tires enroute to the rally. Getting a tire from a non BMW dealer in the same size is a trick. Buells do have some tires that will fit some BMW's, since they don't have adaptors to mount tires, you might be reduced to mounting a tire by hand.

You can also preorder tires from a dealer along the way, and have them changed enroute.

Karol, will you have a list of dealers staying open the Monday before and the Monday after Nationals?

JON

Ya know, I've been riding Beemers since '75 and going to rallys since '78. Never understood the "tire at the rally" thing. If you need new tires, get them before you take off on a long trip. I'm leaving in two weeks for a 2500 mile trip on my
R1200R. Rear tire has 4100 mi/3/16" tread depth. I replaced it last week for the trip. New tire gives you peace of mind and you are less likely to get a puncture than on one near the end of it's tread wear.

Maybe this helps: You ride to the rally and it is 3,000 miles to get there. You have 2,500 miles on your tires and are not ready to throw them away, because your are not Bill Gates. Changing tires at the rally would help you make it back safe the 3,000 miles home from the rally. Understandable?

I got new tires once at a rally. A couple of years ago in Charleston. Metzelers. Made an apointment one day and had it done the next day. They had the bike for 2 hours.

+1

Maybe this helps: You ride to the rally and it is 3,000 miles to get there. You have 2,500 miles on your tires and are not ready to throw them away, because your are not Bill Gates. Changing tires at the rally would help you make it back safe the 3,000 miles home from the rally. Understandable?

I got new tires once at a rally. A couple of years ago in Charleston. Metzelers. Made an apointment one day and had it done the next day. They had the bike for 2 hours.
Good point, Mike. I rode out to West Bend last Summer on the tail end of the life of my Metzler LaserTecs. Made an appointment with Milwaukee BMW the very next morning; spent about 90?? minutes at their shop. I liked the feeling of having fresh rubber to explore the area during the rally and to ride home on afterwards. :thumb

The really frugal will comb the reject pile behind the tire vendor's tent and pick up tires that still have 1/8" of tread. Then change them out next to your tent.

I've had tires done a few times at the National. Good prices and much nicer hanging around the rally (read beer garden) than a dealership.

Back