• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How To Find Open Service Bulletins or Recalls?

milo

I have an early build 2012 GS Adventure, built 9-2011 which I bought used this winter. When time for it's first 600 mile service I would like to just do it myself because there's not much to it, I have a GS911, and my dealer is almost 3 hours away. But if there are any open recalls or bulletins that should be addressed I'll take it to them. Is there a way to find out? I hate to call a dealer just to ask them to look it up when I'm not paying for a service. I don't suppose BMW has this info available on line do they?

They had it pretty well hidden but I found the contact information on BMW's site so I just sent them the request with the Vin.

Last edited:
I don't know about your local dealer but the service guys here are happy to take the last 7 of your VIN and look up any open campaigns or recalls. Remember, recalls generate a bit of billable time for them and are free to you. Campaigns may be a mixed bag...
In watching them do it at the dealership, it only takes a few seconds- not a major chore.

If it's a "recall" it would be a really big deal that you'd read about in the news and it would be all over the forum. Actual recalls are government mandated, after all. AND, they ONLY deal with safety and emissions issues.

Anything else is at BMW's descretion and often isn't very well publicized. They will indeed be called instead "campaigns" and no, BMW doesn't list them online. But, the service manager should have them all memorized and on the tip of his tongue--tell him you want to do 600 and will come in for 6000. Chances are, if you're noticing a problem that lots of other folks notice, too, there will be at least instructions to the dealer how to fix this ... under warranty. If you complain they have to fix it as long as your warranty is valid. If you don't notice anything, then you don't have a problem, do you?

Thanks guys. I sent the vin to BMW notifying them of a change of ownership and asking if there are any open recalls or service bulletins that need done? Hopefully I'll hear from them, if not I'll just call a dealer.
My friend bought a used 2008 GS a couple years ago. It was due for it's 6K service which I did for him. While on a trip he started loosing the front brakes (maybe it was both, I can't recall?) It occurred pretty abruptly but he was able to pull off the road. A fitting below an "L" in a section of rigid brake line cracked and brake fluid was running out. Had to flatbed the bike to a dealer where they found the outstanding service bulletin, or recall, on that line which hadn't been done. I would think that would have been a recall issue? For all I know BMW may have sent recall notice to the previous owner who could have just tossed it since he no longer owned the bike? Had a dealer done the 6K service, instead of me, they surely would have detected the recall wasn't done and taken care of it.

I thought I should post that I just received a nice reply from BMW.

Thank you for contacting BMW Motorrad USA regarding your 2012 BMW R 1200 GS.
Congratulations on your BMW purchase.

The ownership of your 2012 BMW R 1200 GS, has been updated in our systems to
reflect you as the new owner.

Recalls are specific to a vehicle's identification number, and WB104800XCZX67385
does not have any open recalls. I hope this information is helpful.

Last edited:
Back