• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

AMA Announces AmericaÔÇÖs 15 Best Motorcycling Roads

akbeemer

SURVIVOR

Two in Montana; none in Alaska. Must have limited their choices to the part of the United States that is just in America????

15. Washington Route 129 and Oregon Route 3, Clarkston, Wash., to Enterprise, Ore.

14. Ohio Route 170, Calcutta to Poland.

13. California Route 58, McKittrick to Santa Margarita.

12. U.S. Route 33, Harrisonburg, Va., to Seneca Rocks, W.Va.

11. Natchez Trace, from Natchez, Miss., to Nashville, Tenn.

10. Angeles Crest Highway, California Route 2.

9. U.S. Route 12, Lolo Pass, Idaho and Montana.

8. California Route 36.

7. Cherohala Skyway, North Carolina and Tennessee.

6. Going to the Sun Road, Glacier National Park, Montana.

5. California Route 1, Pacific Coast Highway.

4. U.S. Route 550, from Ouray to Durango, Colo.

3. U.S. Route 129 ÔÇö The Tail of the Dragon ÔÇö on the North Carolina-Tennessee border.

2. Blue Ridge Parkway, North Carolina.

1. Beartooth Highway, Montana and Wyoming.

Full story here.

Whew................Glad they left all my favorites off, let the crowds flock to a dozen roads and I will be happy.

Whew................Glad they left all my favorites off, let the crowds flock to a dozen roads and I will be happy.

me, too.

i rode seven of these this summer. the only one i've not ridden is #14

good picks, though. :thumb

ian

Many of those roads would make my list in regards to just beauty, but not my top M/C roads list because of the amount of traffic you enounter on them.

The ones I have been on, are roads that everybody should do at least once.

Many of those roads would make my list in regards to just beauty, but not my top M/C roads list because of the amount of traffic you encounter on them.

Which is why number 13, California Route 58, McKittrick to Santa Margarita, is one of my favorites although I usually turn northwest toward paso Robles instead of going all the way to Santa Margarita. I have never seen more than 2 or 3 vehicles on that road when I've been on it. I typically ride it in the spring on the way from Death Valley to Paso Robles.

Which is why number 13, California Route 58, McKittrick to Santa Margarita, is one of my favorites although I usually turn northwest toward paso Robles instead of going all the way to Santa Margarita. I have never seen more than 2 or 3 vehicles on that road when I've been on it. I typically ride it in the spring on the way from Death Valley to Paso Robles.

58 is sweet:thumb

3 of them I've done (more than once).

Probably pick up another 3 or so more this summer.

Interesting list. :dance

We've got 8 of them, headed to CA shortly and will catch a few of theirs.

AMA = ACA (Cruiser) in my experience.
I know some are passionate about this organization...So take it as a kind ribbing :nyah

That list was compiled by one sport bike rider and two pirates wearing doo rags .

The Natchez trace is a nice mostly straight 45 mile per hour road through tall trees and the tail of the dragon isn't even the best road in that county.

Some of them are actually good motorcycle roads and others are just roads that people talk about.

Last edited:
Natural State dissed

I must question this supposed rating system since no Arkansas roads were included. Have the AMA "raters" never ridden the Pig Trail, the Talimena Skyway, or Highway 7 just to name a few? Their opinions are like a certain body part, everyone has one, but the other guy's smells bad. :dunno

An Honorable Mention should go to Skaggs Springs Road (aka Skaggs Springs International Raceway).

That was today's ride. Skaggs Springs (after first finding the gate on Rockpile), to Tin Barn, then Kings Ridge into Cazadero. Two cars on Skaggs Spring, about 20 head of cattle in the road at various places on Tin Barn and Kings Ridge.

I must question this supposed rating system since no Arkansas roads were included. Have the AMA "raters" never ridden the Pig Trail, the Talimena Skyway, or Highway 7 just to name a few? Their opinions are like a certain body part, everyone has one, but the other guy's smells bad. :dunno

there probably ain't enough AMA members in Arkansas. :ha

i don't even remember them calling for input... i'm just glad *my* best motorcycling roads ain't on that list!

ian

Hey all: I've been on about half of these roads. Can't say that they were "the best", but most of them were pretty good. I don't know what perimeters the AMA used,was it the quality of the scenery, or the level of difficulty. Frankly, any two lane road in the southern part of Ohio (or W. Va, Va, Tn, N.C.) would qualify as a good biking road. Heck we even have a few here in Michigan. As long as your riding, they are all good roads! Vaya con Dios, Dutch

Back