• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1200LT value

If this is perceived as an ad by the admins, I suppose it will be taken down , and myself summarily scolded...

But it is in fact a question of opinion.

What is a close value of a 2002 K1200LT that is basically sound, [mechanically] but has had much of the tupperware removed [for cleaning] and has sat [with me] about three years. I am honestly not sure how long before me. It has only 58000 miles so it hasn't traveled much. Reassembled, cleaned up , tires & the usual suspects attended to, it would once again be a beautiful ride for someone interested in that style of motorcycle.

I had plans, but my body is saying , forget your plans. It would need to be 'trailered'

I will place an honest add in marketplace, however It will be a non photo ad as I do not have photos of it,[had some, computer crashed etc] and do not even feel like messing around trying to take them.

If this is perceived as an ad by the admins, I suppose it will be taken down , and myself summarily scolded...

But it is in fact a question of opinion.

What is a close value of a 2002 K1200LT that is basically sound, [mechanically] but has had much of the tupperware removed [for cleaning] and has sat [with me] about three years. I am honestly not sure how long before me. It has only 58000 miles so it hasn't traveled much. Reassembled, cleaned up , tires & the usual suspects attended to, it would once again be a beautiful ride for someone interested in that style of motorcycle.

I had plans, but my body is saying , forget your plans. It would need to be 'trailered'

I will place an honest add in marketplace, however It will be a non photo ad as I do not have photos of it,[had some, computer crashed etc] and do not even feel like messing around trying to take them.
I can't help you with the valuation, but I'm sure someone will. I would just say, try to get someone, if you can't, to post a few decent photos when you list it. In the 21st century, it's really a necessity when selling on the internet. Most people won't travel more than 10 minutes to see a bike for sale without first seeing a few pics. Good luck.

It's a rough time to be an K1200LT owner... looking at the MOA Market place and my local craigslist shows a list price of $2000 - $4500. The market has really dropped out after the intro of the K1600's.

In my opinion, the problem that you're going to run into, is that this is currently a "project" - someone's going to need to put everything back together (and possibly source parts that have been lost?). Then deal with the lack of maintenance for the past couple of years. You're going to be competing with other LT's in your area that can be found ready to go with less miles.

With that said, you're sure to find the right person, but it may be on the market for a while!

Drneo touches on the issues here.
A good running K12LT with 58k miles can be had, especially this time of year, for around $3000. I've seen nice sounding ones advertised for $500 less than that.
Yours hasn't run in more than 3 years, and is partially disassembled (I hate putting together things someone else took apart). Anyone buying it under these conditions has no way of evaluating the need for some of the most expensive repairs: are the e-brakes good? Is the final drive tight? Is the dry clutch still dry?

You are asking a buyer to not only do all the work to bring this bike back to life, deal with a gummed up fuel system, replace a bunch of dried up rubber bits (and tires), buy a battery, flush the whizzy brakes, then reassemble the bike while hoping you gave him all the necessary parts. And gamble that all the pricey bits mentioned above are in working order. That's asking a lot for a bike that is neither rare nor valuable.

I never like to be the guy to tell a rider that his bike isn't worth much. May as well tell them their wife is fat. With all due respect sir, your wife could stand to diet.

Back