• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GPS plug

Justscootin

Jeff Wilson life member
I bought a Garmin gps 350lm as they have a $100 rebate on them till June 30th and I hard wired it to the battery. When removing the colored panel in the center of the handle bar I found a cross bar that has a plug on it. Is this plug for the BMW gps as if it is I was thinking that I might cut into the wires as this plug the power would probably be the 5 volts needed and it would be turned off with the ignition.
Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I bought a Garmin gps 350lm as they have a $100 rebate on them till June 30th and I hard wired it to the battery. When removing the colored panel in the center of the handle bar I found a cross bar that has a plug on it. Is this plug for the BMW gps as if it is I was thinking that I might cut into the wires as this plug the power would probably be the 5 volts needed and it would be turned off with the ignition.
Any thoughts?

I went out to the garage this morning and took off the side panel. I checked the fuses and found the plug under the cover that appears to be for the gps has 12 volts going to it and it is protected by a 4 amp fuse (pink in color in the #4 position) and it also turns off with the ignition.

The gps comes with a fairly long wire and leaves a mess of wire, would I be safe to eliminate most of the wire that includes the 5 amp fuse that comes with the gps and leave unit that reduces the 12 volts to 5 volts?

are you sure the power cord for your gps reduces the power before entering the gps? plug it in and check, most reduce the voltage internally, otherwise i thing the power cord plug is bulky to fit the voltage reducer inside. If the plug has 12vdc out then you just need a pogtail the length you want it. I hope its the latter and makes much less mess for you.

finding out it's 12vdc, good to know, thnaks. I will try to find a bmw plug to fit it and use for my power port there. I will mount a gtech unit as well as phone/gps/music/..... on my bmw gps mount at that point. I found a cheap mount will fit the mounting holes for the bmw gps at the same point.

are you sure the power cord for your gps reduces the power before entering the gps? plug it in and check, most reduce the voltage internally, otherwise i thing the power cord plug is bulky to fit the voltage reducer inside. If the plug has 12vdc out then you just need a pogtail the length you want it. I hope its the latter and makes much less mess for you.

finding out it's 12vdc, good to know, thnaks. I will try to find a bmw plug to fit it and use for my power port there. I will mount a gtech unit as well as phone/gps/music/..... on my bmw gps mount at that point. I found a cheap mount will fit the mounting holes for the bmw gps at the same point.

This is the unit I spoke of. If you look at the power cord for the gps you plug in the car power socket you will see that the unit is in the plug (not in the gps) that reduces the voltage and has the fuse in it also. It will be in the fine print on the plug.

Attachments

• Richmond Hill-20130418-00268.jpg
    Richmond Hill-20130418-00268.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Thats a shame, that means alot ot wires stuffed somewhere.
If ther is enough cable, can you mount the power puck down by the battery? save the gps power for another item?

Thats a shame, that means alot ot wires stuffed somewhere.
If ther is enough cable, can you mount the power puck down by the battery? save the gps power for another item?

Yes there is enough wire, what other item would you use this power for.

I am purchasing a socket to match the plug and will put a usb adapter here. I use my phone and a gtech pro ss, which are mounted on the stock bmw gps mounting hardware. I found an inexpensive zippered case that matchs the bolt holes that the bmw gps would bolt to. I will post some pics once I return from Montreal. Hopefully I won't get stuck in Chicago for another 14 hours, like I did tuesday...

I am purchasing a socket to match the plug and will put a usb adapter here. I use my phone and a gtech pro ss, which are mounted on the stock bmw gps mounting hardware. I found an inexpensive zippered case that matchs the bolt holes that the bmw gps would bolt to. I will post some pics once I return from Montreal. Hopefully I won't get stuck in Chicago for another 14 hours, like I did tuesday...

Earlier I put a post up that I installed a power socket that can be used for my heated suit or any other electrical item that will draw up to 15 amps that is hard wired to the battery. So it is a multi purpose outlet. This is why I would like to use the power from this plug bmw provided.

would I be safe to eliminate most of the wire that includes the 5 amp fuse that comes with the gps and leave unit that reduces the 12 volts to 5 volts?

The fuse is a 2amp and I would not remove it.

Warning re the #4 4amp fuse, this fuse is also used for the brake light circuit and if it blows you will not be able to start the scoot as the system thinks that no brakes are applied.

On that note, my tool kit included 7.5/10/20 amp blade fuses but no 4amp, did you guys get a spare 4amp in your tool kits? Most places here only sell 5amp fuses and the 4amp ones are very hard to find.

The fuse is a 2amp and I would not remove it.

Warning re the #4 4amp fuse, this fuse is also used for the brake light circuit and if it blows you will not be able to start the scoot as the system thinks that no brakes are applied.

On that note, my tool kit included 7.5/10/20 amp blade fuses but no 4amp, did you guys get a spare 4amp in your tool kits? Most places here only sell 5amp fuses and the 4amp ones are very hard to find.

You are right it is a 2 amp fuse and yes I left it in place. As for the tool kit mine came with a 4 amp fuse. All together there are 10 items in the tool kit that includes the 4 fuses.

Back