• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

LED Aux lighting from BMW

Looks like my 2015 Marino Blue Babe will be arriving in a few weeks! Was considering having the Dealer install the BMW Aux Lighting--$832.00 bucks (ouch). Any opinions out there as if relates to their value compared to other aftermarket lighting? Don

I have had the Darla LEDs from Clearwater lights. Glen rides a BMW RTw and is developing some really cool stuff that will interface with his new box that plugs into the canbus called... wait for it.... the "CAN Opener"! The Darla's can mount either on the front forks (I think the best location) or attach right to the OEM mounting brackets. The CANopener even allows for the Darlas to be controlled by the bikes menu system. His complete system is about $650, brighter than the OEM lamps, and infinitely more configurable.

Just my $0.02

P.S. Check out the new listings here:http://www.clearwaterlights.com/darla_pp.html

My K16 came with the aux lights and I really like em, but I also added the Darlas on the forks. If it's 1 or the other, go with the Darlas. Much brighter and whiter light.

Howdy,

I have the BMW LED's and think they are great. Really light up the ditches and of course...fully integrate.

My two bits.

+1 on the Clearwater lights. Purchased and installed at St. Paul on my new GSA and they will let you see into tomorrow. A little more $ than BMW, but well worth the $

bob

Darlas are an excellent choice, that was one of the first 2 farkles I had the dealer install (the other was Skene P3s). I had the OEM fogs on my GTL, they helped other people see me but not much help in improving what I could see. Yes, the CANOpener is really slick, and they are very bright. I have them set to 40% when I have low beams on, and they outshine the lows - a lot. They go to 100% when the highs come on and I can see waaaaay down the road with them.

Lights are good. More lights are gooder.

I don't like fork mounted lights. I had them (denali's) before and they were so so because they were mounted too low. I'm getting BMW lights (front) and Hyper lights (rear) installed today. I'll post pics soon.

Clearwater lights

I have a set of Erica's on the BMW mount and Darla's on the fork along with the CAN opener and the setup works great!
I always leave the Darla's at about 60% and Glen just sent amber lens cover for them that make the RT very visible during the day.

Instead of the Hyperlights I use BMW's light on the rear and it can be spotted a long way off.
Hyperlights and Clearwater lights are also on my Road Glide.

Can't say how many times the lights have helped, but I have seen drivers eyes when I go through an intersection and they are watching as I go by. That is the extra two seconds that these lights can give.

Looks like my 2015 Marino Blue Babe will be arriving in a few weeks! Was considering having the Dealer install the BMW Aux Lighting--$832.00 bucks (ouch). Any opinions out there as if relates to their value compared to other aftermarket lighting? Don

If you are going to go with the BMW lights, I highly recommend installing them yourself. It is not a difficult job but will require the dealer to flash the computer. I ordered mine through Chris at All Seasons in Ohio, installed them myself, and saved hundreds compared to the quote you received.

I have the BMW lights on my 2015 blue RT. I like their on-off simplicity and the fact that they display an icon on the RT's display when they are on. The Clearwater lights are fancier and do more things. Call me simple-minded, but I just like on or off.

bmw-lights.jpg

2014-rt-verde.jpg

Nice looking blue RT, Jeff. Ebony is still faster, though :)

One of the reasons I went with Clearwater is that I can dim their lights. Nice to have the ability when riding at night because I can still use the lights at a lowered level and not make other drivers mad. If I need to go bright, I can just hit the high beams and ... daytime!
IMG_0033.jpg

Here are the BMW auxiliary lights. Just got them today. They work and look great!

The lights look much brighter in person.

These are very sturdy, rugged and bright. There is a switch on the left handlebar, and an on/off indicator light integrated into the instrument panel.

I also had Hyper lights installed. They are running lights and brake flashing. It was apparently a tricky installation due to the can bus system. But it works great now!

Did they charge you extra for the "tricky" part? I did mine on a K16 canbus in the garage in 15 minutes.

Did they charge you extra for the "tricky" part? I did mine on a K16 canbus in the garage in 15 minutes.

No, actually. They're good guys there.(BMW Manhattan) They didn't charge me for the extra time it took. I've known them for many years. Good for you doing your own work c4golf. I let the pros handle my bikes for now. I don't have the time, tools, space, desire or home situation. Maybe someday, when I retire and things settle down at home. But for now I'm excited to have good lighting on a great machine!

Back