• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K1200 Motorcycle Mishap

B

Bfranco

I went out for a Saturday morning drive. Everything was great until I came upon an antique BMW motorcycle for sale. I planned to turn around to go look at it. I took the first turn which unfortunately was to a road that was a steep drop and a sharp right turn. I panicked and hit the brake rather than trying to ride through it. Once I hit the brake I slowly dropped over. The pic shows the damage. I am fine just mad at myself. Luckily two guys came along who helped me pick up the bike. It drives fine. No damage beyond the plastic and the foot rest rubber.

Looks like it will be a $2,000 repair if I buy painted panels and do the swap of parts myself.

Stupid in Doylestown, Pa.

Attachments

• SAM_0215.jpg
    SAM_0215.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 232
Got Progressive insurance just don't know if I want to submit a claim.

+1. I see my insurance as being for big stuff only. They just get you in the end.

Sorry about your accident.

Are the panels scratched or cracked? Even with deep gouges it might not be too painful to repair and repaint, and look equally as good as replacing and repainting.

Macco - or an auto body shop - prep & labor & paint - one day job.
Only you know, leave insurance comp. out of it - it's under your deductable.

First off glad you are ok.

Fromlooking at the picture it looks like the only panel you need to replace is the very front one by the windshield and that is a maybe.

The rest certainly recoverable by a quality body shop.

when I droppedmy RT I scratch the pannier pretty well, took it to a foriegn car body shop that worked on BMW cars and they paint maitched perfectly.

You may want to get estimates and balance that cost to that of new panels.

I would not go insurance route either.

Good luck

Glad you are OK. As I get older the reflexes are not what they used to be. If something suprises me while riding I can only blame myself ( not paying attention, being distracted, complacency, etc). Lately I've tried to ask myself what if questions while riding and have found that this keeps me much more aware of how I'm riding and what others around me are doing. Ride Safe :usa :usa

Don't beat yourself up. Motorcycles fall over! +1 on insurance and the bodyshop, unless you have cracked plastic, get a price for painting. On the bright side, you didn't get hurt!

That's why I ride a GSA. It's built to tip over!!!!! Well, at least it looks like it is. Good to hear your ok. I think we all have either had something similar happen to us or have come close. I too, would go the no insurance route. And as stated above, find a good shop that does BMW cars and you should be fine.

Ouch...sorry about the damage but as Semper_Fi said, glad you're fine! :thumb

I had a similar "accident" (bike fell over in my garage coming off a Park n' Move) which did an amazing amount of damage for a 0 mph drop.

I know your in PA, but Max's BMW in North Hampton, NH uses a fantastic paint guy who redid my right panel and right bag cover and you can't tell it was fixed. I did end up buying painted pieces from BMW and installed them myself, but then had the damaged pieces repainted and put away in case something unfortunate happens again in the future. At any rate, I could always sell them to the next owner or put them on Ebay. Give Tom Flansburg (Service Manager at Max's) a call (603) 964-2877 x 130 and I'm sure he'll give you some assistance. You'll have to ship them up to New Hampshire but that shouldn't be too costly as the pieces are very light.

One thing I do now, I don't ride with my bags unless I really need them. I have a nice FirstGear tail bag (http://www.whitehorsegear.com/firstgear-silverstone-expandable-tail-bag) on the bike plus a Bags Connection "Engage" tank bag (http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2131/451/) with the quick disconnect system.

Good luck and sorry you have to deal with all of this!

Please ride safely!

Peter

Back