• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Balaclava

sloride

what material recommended for cold weather ? I wear a full face helmet so I need something thin and without bulky seams that can handle temps in the 30's

I can highly recommend the smart wool from REI.
They may have more than one, so be sure to get the thin one.
Mine works super. It is smart in that even if it gets hot, I don't sweat. Or the sweat is allowed to drift out, or something.
It also does quite good on keeping the neck warm.
dc

+1 on SmartWool.

Their Merino wool stuff beats the daylights out of every synthetic I've tried for a neck gaiter or balaclava application.

Google "Buff" there is an official US and UK website. They are great and have material for summer and winter. I wear the light material all spring and summer around my neck to protect from chaffing and sunburn. The wool Buffs do the job on cold days. I use when the temps drop up here in NW Indiana. They come in a lot of colors. The summer weight material will do the job on those upper 40's days.

http://www.buffusa.com/

Pop into a sporting goods/ski shop. There are balaclavas for skiers that are quite thin, and not expensive. We find a lot of our ski and bike gear can go back and forth - socks, helmet liners, glove liners etc.

My wife and I use the silk ones sold by BMW. Silk works for both cold and hot weather.

My wife likes the BMW ones. I use a Biker Comfort in Action. The top is thin and the lower is more wind proof. It has a long chest piece to keep the wind out.

see here

While I and my son use the one that is marketed by BMW, which also has a wool/fleece neck guard similar to a dickie, you can stop at sporting goods stores (Fleet Farm in my neck of the woods) and find several styles to choose from where protective clothing for ice fishing is sold.

Good luck! :dance

My wife likes the BMW ones. I use a Biker Comfort in Action. The top is thin and the lower is more wind proof. It has a long chest piece to keep the wind out.

see here
Me too. Seemed kind of expensive. Seemed like more than was needed. Turns out that it works great. Launders well by hand- drip dry.
0000_Comfort_In_Action_ST_-_Wind_Plus_Black.jpg

works well on 7-11 jobs as well :deal

I bought a Mountain Hardware Polartec balaclava earlier today at REI. Nice and smooth and not too bulky. Should fit under the brain bucket nicely

While searching around for a Balaclava I realized they would be too bulky in the neck area while I'm wearing a heated liner . Now I'm looking at beanies .
Merino wool looks interesting . Wondering about the Itch factor

My wife and I use the silk ones sold by BMW. Silk works for both cold and hot weather.

Plus +100!

Mines silk, came from ebay on the cheap & works great. I also used it to snowmobile in CO last winter. Not bulky no matter what you have on and actually helps with helmet head some too. Short hair helps with the itch factor?

While searching around for a Balaclava I realized they would be too bulky in the neck area while I'm wearing a heated liner . Now I'm looking at beanies .
Merino wool looks interesting . Wondering about the Itch factor

I wear merino wool socks all year. There is no itch factor. Merino wool is very soft.

If you just want to cover your head and the back of the neck, I use a helmet liner by LDComfort. Works well in both hot and cold.

I use a little neck warmer made by Columbia. Cheap and effective. It will keep the area under the chin warm and also behind the neck.

Most balaclavas including ones which protect your neck, have a little rim around the face opening. Learned the hard way to make sure to push the top part up on your head so the rim is NOT between your forhead and helmet. Took me a half hour to figure out where all that pain was coming from! After that it was just heaven in colder weather.

both Merino Wool and Silk would work just fine, silk might be a bit thinner. both would be more or less self regulating. no itch or discomfort. for the lower portion, the windproof feature sure would be nice. i have a windproof neck gaiter i use and it is sweet.

Polypropylene is also excellent. Does not itch and still insulates when wet. I wear a polypropylene neck gator on the cycle. I also wear it off the cycle for skiiing, etc, when I want my face covered. It has iced over from condensed water vapor on my breath and still kept me toasty.

Back