• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Just got this bike, see pics basket case?

G

gproberts

This is a 1972 75/5 I am trying to figure out what to do with,

Got it about a year ago from a friend.

Installed several bits to get it going ad useized the cylinders. Runs and rides ok considering no saddle....

need saddle SWB?

Also looking advice on what to do with it, considering turning it into a buthental look-a-like but would like to understand what it is first?

Manufactured 9/72, has 4 spark plugs, large bings? 51mm?

Attachments

• bike rear 49K.jpg
    bike rear 49K.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 708
What's a buthental?

It looks like someone else's old project, apparently with dualplugged heads(?) and all.

Post more pics. I'd love to see more details, and see it progress as a project.

If you are looking to spend a lot of time and money, it might be okay for a cafe bike.

The shorter frame and kick start are cool.

Otherwise, part that sucker out on ebay!

And yeah, what's a buthental?

brother in-laws bike

its a Hans-Otto Butenuth special.

Looks like the general concensus is to turn it into a cafe racer.

Larry my brother in law has the Buthenuth motocycle now see pic. (he still races 60+ years old) currently at the TT now. So I should be able o get the specs, and understand the set up.

http://www.worldofbmw.co.uk/content/printArticle.asp?article=718

I have a vision of building it up just to try in the TT old duffers race and surprise him one year.

http://www.bmwmoa.org/features/bmw_sports_boxer.htm?pg=5

Check out the TT race, looks like fun.

Have welder can chop....

Paul

Attachments

• Hans-Otto Butenuth 49k.jpg
    Hans-Otto Butenuth 49k.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 594
Installed several bits to get it going ad useized the cylinders. Runs and rides ok considering no saddle....

need saddle SWB?

Most likely it is a SWB. On the driveshaft side of the swingarm, look at where the tube bells out to meet the final drive flange. If it expands and is directly welded to the flange it is a SWB. If it swells and has about 2 inches of larger tube and then welds to the flange, it is LWB

The original carbs on an R75/5 would be numbered 64/32/9 and 10. From the picture, yours are from a later bike.

thanks

Yes it is a SWB, thanks for the tip.

OK, so the plan to turn this into a cafe racer.

1. Sell all the bits I don't need.

Front end complete, rear fender and attachments, center stand, side stand, electrics. Keep frame, engine and rear swinging arm.

2. Figure what front end, norton? Do I need to change the neck?

3. Rear end and suspension, what is the max width of tire I can stick on?

4. Alloy Tank

5. Alloy Fenders

6. Schema, Red frame polished alloy tank and fenders, black seat, black wheels, black handle bars.

Watch out ebay....

Next pic will be the bike stripped to sell the parts.

Paul

Bike in two piles now - parts 2 sell & base project

Parts to sell (took 4 hours to take these off

Attachments

• parts to sell.JPG
    parts to sell.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 521
The base project cafe racer

Tomorrow or perhaps Wednesday, the chop.

Intend to cut the top of the engine housing off that houses the starter and the the diode pack to give the engine a flat look. (it has a kick start which should be sufficient.) Starter will go in the to be sold pile.

Cut the rear passenger pegs off.

Decided to keep the stands for the time being.

Attachments

• Started June 08.jpg
    Started June 08.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 518
Toaster tank

Yes,

It has no dents but needs seriously cleaned out. The taps are year old.

I am restoring a '72 r60/5 and am in serious need of the front turn signals and stalks for them. How much are you looking to get for those? And i dont know if they are still available but how do the chrome panels on tank look and how much are you looking to get for those?

if your keeping it a swb you sould read the duane articles on making sure the front forks are correct.

Tomorrow or perhaps Wednesday, the chop.

Intend to cut the top of the engine housing off that houses the starter and the the diode pack to give the engine a flat look. (it has a kick start which should be sufficient.) Starter will go in the to be sold pile.

Cut the rear passenger pegs off.

Decided to keep the stands for the time being.

:scratch

Wouldn't it look flat with the starter cover installed? I guess you will trim a few pounds with this modification, but it sounds like a lot of work during the build (modifying the timing chain cover, wiring harness and front engine cover) and extra work every time you want to ride. Your project and your money. If you go that way, post some pic's of the modified parts. Good luck on your project.

SOME-ONE MAKING TOAST?
:lurk :eat :eat
Yeah, someone is making TOAST.
I have not seen this parts lot on e-bay as of yet, But I would bid on them when they surface.

He had better have a knowledgeable guide or a very good working knowledge when he takes the Sawzall to the front inner casting. Otherwise he will have turned a good parts bike into almost nothing.

Back