• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Considering '72 R75/5

DrPaul

DrPaul
There is a nice '72 R75/5 for sale near me with 125K miles. It appears to have been well-cared for but not ridden in several years. Assuming there have been no modifications to the valve seats, can it run safely with unleaded fuel? Looks like it will need front brake cable, clutch cable and throttle cables. Right side cover is missing. Are these still available anywhere? Thanks!

There is a nice '72 R75/5 for sale near me with 125K miles. It appears to have been well-cared for but not ridden in several years. Assuming there have been no modifications to the valve seats, can it run safely with unleaded fuel? Looks like it will need front brake cable, clutch cable and throttle cables. Right side cover is missing. Are these still available anywhere? Thanks!

flea-bay listing

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHROME-SIDE...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f2aa97de7&vxp=mtr

I don't know if it's legal but...At a local small plane airport, you would be able to buy a gallon of aviation gas. From what I understand, adding about a cup of that to 5 gallons of regular unleaded gas gives the engine what it needs to protect the valves. The gallon of gas will cost around $6.00+ but it should last a long time.

Running avgas on the road is indeed illegal, though I'm sure quite a few do it. The bike should be fine to run with unleaded gas. You'll just need to monitor the valve clearances. When you notice that they begin to close up after say 500 miles or you notice that the mileage between adjustments is getting shorter, then you'll just need to bite the bullet and get the heads reworked. More than likely you'll need new pushrod tubes seals anyway, so that's a good time to do a complete top end. Since the bike hasn't been run in a couple of years, you may very well find that the seals leak anyway.

There is good peace of mind to be on the other side of a good top end job...you don't have to worry about this sort of thing...it can get old checking valve clearances every 500 miles.

Back