• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How do you pack your F700/F800 GS?

guenner

I had an R100GS for a long time and over the years I found a suitable arrangement for my gear. I just bought a F700GS and need some ideas on how to load all my stuff onto the new bike. Like what kind of tank bag, side cases, cargo/luggage rack.

012.jpg

Appreciate suggestions/ideas and PICTURES of yours.

Thanks!
Guenther

I had an R100GS for a long time and over the years I found a suitable arrangement for my gear. I just bought a F700GS and need some ideas on how to load all my stuff onto the new bike. Like what kind of tank bag, side cases, cargo/luggage rack.

Guenther,

I just bought my F700GS so I am waiting on new Jesse Bags (Odessey) for luggage. My old ones will not fit the F700.They come with their own racks for mounting. I am using my old RKA (non expandable 3.0 liter Allegro ) tank bag. I am a minimalist, so that is about all I carry. If I can't get it packed into those Jesse Bags, then I don't carry it. I like the Jesse Bags because they keep the weight low. I do have a Touratec tool bag that just fits on the back part of the seat. It is expandable and I find it very useful for extra gloves, light sweater, camera or anything you need to get to quickly. It is not waterproof, but really has to rain for a long time before inside gets wet. :)024.jpg

Another recommendation for Jesse Bags. Annie has them on her F650GS (Twin) and along with a BMW tailbag has carried all she needs for long camping trips. She also uses a Wolfman tank bag.

Kevin,

the Jesses are top loader. Does Annie put anything on top of the lids? Does she carry tent/sleeping back/rally chair and where/how?

Checking the Wolfman bag(s).

/Guenther

I have the RKA 6L expands TO 10L tank bag. Most of the time it is on the 6L size. Three clip buckles, 15 seconds and it off the bike.:thumb

Kevin,

the Jesses are top loader. Does Annie put anything on top of the lids? Does she carry tent/sleeping back/rally chair and where/how?

Checking the Wolfman bag(s).

/Guenther

I carry the tent, we both carry folding chairs but they are small enough to fit inside of something. Once or twice she has carried a sun awning on top of a Jesse Bag. I installed footman's loops on our Jesse Bags to facilitate loading stuff on top, but seldom have used them. I guess it is a matter of personal preference, but I much prefer top loading bags. They tend to hold more, are easier to load and easier to keep orderly.

Reviving a stale thread...

So, Guenther and Gail,

When you posted to this thread your bikes were new to you and you were exploring packing and bag options. What did you end up with?

I have a new-to-me F700GS that needs a set of side cases. (I plan to use a duffle in lieu of a top case for longer trips/camping.) It has the OEM rear rack and side racks designed for the BMW Vario cases. I'm wondering if there's anything else out there that would work with this rack system?

I lean toward hard cases but haven't ruled out a soft set.

small yellow bag: sleeping bag and some warm clothes

50l yellow Ortlieb bag: tent, mattress, summer sleeping bag, chair, tire patch tools, heating vest, more warm clothes and a few other 'stuff'

right Vario case: food/water and cooking stuff

left Vario case: clothes, shoes, space for light rain gear

Wolfman Rainier tank bag: full rain gear, first aid kit, tools, sun glasses, peanuts...just a lot of small 'stuff'

The Vario case are made very tough (=heavy). They took a couple of drop downs without any damage. I also like that I can collapse them for day tours. I wish the Vario cases were a bit larger (=carrying more unnecessary stuff, haha).

/Guenther

small yellow bag: sleeping bag and some warm clothes

50l yellow Ortlieb bag: tent, mattress, summer sleeping bag, chair, tire patch tools, heating vest, more warm clothes and a few other 'stuff'

right Vario case: food/water and cooking stuff

left Vario case: clothes, shoes, space for light rain gear

Wolfman Rainier tank bag: full rain gear, first aid kit, tools, sun glasses, peanuts...just a lot of small 'stuff'

The Vario case are made very tough (=heavy). They took a couple of drop downs without any damage. I also like that I can collapse them for day tours. I wish the Vario cases were a bit larger (=carrying more unnecessary stuff, haha).

/Guenther

Thank you for those details. What you have there is very similar to the set-up I am considering. Will a helmet fit in the larger of the two Vario cases, when it is expanded?

Also, which crash bars are those?

Thanks agin. Sharp looking bike.:thumb

Crash bars are from Adventure-Spec in the UK. Price for shipping was reasonable. I found a video on YouTube from a guy who crashed his bike hard on a highway and little damage to the bike. YouTube 'Adventure-Spec crash bars BMW' came up with this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcHbde-kXAM.

I also use this https://www.shopbmwmotorcycle.com/products/rcu-f800gs-f700gs-f650gs2-luggage-rack.

I just checked. My helmet fits into the right expanded case just barely with very minimum space left for anything else.

/Guenther

Crash bars are from Adventure-Spec in the UK. Price for shipping was reasonable. I found a video on YouTube from a guy who crashed his bike hard on a highway and little damage to the bike. YouTube 'Adventure-Spec crash bars BMW' came up with this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcHbde-kXAM.

I also use this https://www.shopbmwmotorcycle.com/products/rcu-f800gs-f700gs-f650gs2-luggage-rack.

I just checked. My helmet fits into the right expanded case just barely with very minimum space left for anything else.

/Guenther

Much appreciated. I had seen that wide rack somewhere and it caught my eye, but forgot to bookmark it. The width looks conducive for carrying duffle bags, and other “stuff.” Any downside?

And that’s good intel on the helmet fitting in the Vario case. I live in an urban area and when out on errands would like the option of locking the helmet without using a topcase....

If Gail is within earshot, I’d be curious to hear how the Jesse Bags have worked for her and whether she’d do the same today? Or anyone else with an F700GS for that matter?

In my research, so far I have not found any aftermarket hard side cases that work with the oem (vario) racks. It does seem a few soft cases might work, particularly the “saddlebag” variety. (But they don’t really use or need the existing sideracks.)

Last edited:
Are you planning to do much offroad? Have you spent any time considering differences between hard and soft luggage? For offroad riding I personally will only run soft luggage to help prevent broken legs when falling off.

Mosko Moto make what is arguably the best soft luggage out there, this company was started from scratch by 2 guys who solicited the input from the membership on ADVrider. I've followed their build thread almost from the beginning and have met one of the founders and a couple of staff. Really good people a great product and excellent customer service. I have their Nomad tank bag which I swap between 4 bikes and it is an awesome piece of kit, well thought out and top quality. I am planning to get a set of R80 Revolvers to swap between my KTM 640 Adventure and KTM 525 XCW and possibly onto my R65 LS and/or R1100 S.https://moskomoto.com

This thread covers the whole history of the company and their philosophy for each step along the way. It's pretty cool to see people pop up on this thread with suggestions that make it onto products. These folks listen to their customers and share their ideas along the way. Pretty cool to have watched this from the beginning. Start at the beginning to get an idea of where they came from.
https://advrider.com/f/threads/mosko-moto-soft-bags-for-offroad-dualsport.927215/

Are you planning to do much offroad? Have you spent any time considering differences between hard and soft luggage? For offroad riding I personally will only run soft luggage to help prevent broken legs when falling off.

Mosko Moto make what is arguably the best soft luggage out there, this company was started from scratch by 2 guys who solicited the input from the membership on ADVrider. I've followed their build thread almost from the beginning and have met one of the founders and a couple of staff. Really good people a great product and excellent customer service. I have their Nomad tank bag which I swap between 4 bikes and it is an awesome piece of kit, well thought out and top quality. I am planning to get a set of R80 Revolvers to swap between my KTM 640 Adventure and KTM 525 XCW and possibly onto my R65 LS and/or R1100 S.https://moskomoto.com

This thread covers the whole history of the company and their philosophy for each step along the way. It's pretty cool to see people pop up on this thread with suggestions that make it onto products. These folks listen to their customers and share their ideas along the way. Pretty cool to have watched this from the beginning. Start at the beginning to get an idea of where they came from.
https://advrider.com/f/threads/mosko-moto-soft-bags-for-offroad-dualsport.927215/

Yes, I've studied their offerings and if I was going to go the soft route, it would probably be Mosko. The 80L Reckless Revolvers look very interesting, as do the smaller Reckless 40L System. They put a lot of thought into those bags, and I have a lot of respect for their entrepreneurship. The price is VERY appealing, too.

That said, reality is those bags were conceived by and designed for folks who will be doing more serious off-roading than I ever will. I will do some occasional gravel and fire-roads, but never anything very technical (not on this bike anyway), and will probably be 80-90% pavement. I have a gimpy ankle/foot that I have to be very careful with, so I won't be taking any big risks in technical terrain with a bike this heavy. If I ever get a serious itch for more difficult off-roading, it will likely be satisfied on a bicycle (or a lightweight 250-class dual sport.)

Another thing that bothers me a bit about the soft cases is all the straps and bags within bags within bags. I do a lot of local riding in an urban environment, errands, groceries, etc. The simplicity of a hard shell case that offers security and quick/easy access is very appealing. I can see where if you're riding all day from one destination to another it wouldn't be much of a hassle, but I don't want to be fussing with a bunch of straps and cinch bags every time I get on and off the bike for a few minutes as I make my rounds.

I'm leaning very much toward the system Guenther is using. The Vario boxes aren't necessarily the best for off-roading, but they will suit my local rides very well. And the duffles allow for hauling camping gear and other bulky stuff that won't fit in the cases.

That's where I am leaning right now, although the thought did occur to me that because they are very affordable, down the road I could budget for the Mosko Reckless 40L System (which has an expansion option to around 60L, I think) if I was doing some shorter duration, predominantly off-road trips (like 2-4 day trips on the BDRs). That might be a good compromise approach.

I do some dirt roads occasionally. I don't see why hard bags or the Varios might be a disadvantage.

But here's another goodie. I had to pick up the bike a few times. I can pick her up with all the gear and the Varios fully extended. But I have difficulties to pick her up with the collapsed Varios or even with no side bags at all. It's about the angle she lies on the side which gives you more or less leverage.

I had seen that wide rack somewhere and it caught my eye, but forgot to bookmark it. The width looks conducive for carrying duffle bags, and other “stuff.” Any downside?

No! The size is 18"x10", was easy to install and stays clear off the Varios. All my bikes had an aftermarket larger luggage rack. In Germany it was to carry a case of beer home from the grocery. :laugh

/Guenther

I do some dirt roads occasionally. I don't see why hard bags or the Varios might be a disadvantage.

But here's another goodie. I had to pick up the bike a few times. I can pick her up with all the gear and the Varios fully extended. But I have difficulties to pick her up with the collapsed Varios or even with no side bags at all. It's about the angle she lies on the side which gives you more or less leverage.

No! The size is 18"x10", was easy to install and stays clear off the Varios. All my bikes had an aftermarket larger luggage rack. In Germany it was to carry a case of beer home from the grocery. :laugh

/Guenther

:D :thumb

Thanks again for your very helpful input.

Back