• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Couple tricks for Rt front shock replacement

kurmugin

Krmugin
Hello,

I replaced my front shock today, and learned a couple tricks that made the task pretty easy. I didn't know them the last (two) times that I replaced my front shock, and those jobs absolutely sucked! I will never dread this job again. The time that it took for the extra steps was small, and the benefits were big.

Tip #1- Take off the fuel tank. I know that lots of people say to just move it back, but take it off! Easier done if the tank isn't full of fuel, but do-able in any case. This allows you access to the top nut, but also lets you really see and have physical access to the A arms and shock mounts.

Tip #2- After you've taken off the fuel tank, remove the glove box. There is a T25 bolt that needs to be removed, to allow the front brake lines to stretch far enough to get the shock out, as you lift the front-end. If you leave the glove box in, getting to that bolt is a YUUUUUGE pain in the buttocks.

Tip #3- Remove the alternator belt cover. This gives you more room to fish the shock into its home. The fit is tight. and every little bit of room makes a difference.

Tip #4- use an impact wrench for the top nut. Easy on, easy off.

Tip #5- My engine protection bars were taken all the way off, the first times. I figured out that I just needed to take the center section out, and that was much faster and easier. This lets the alternator cover come off, but also needs to be done to let the lower a arm swing down far enough to get the shock out.

Crappy pictures are included...

Back