• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Long Tours with F800ST

H

Herleman

I have a 2007 F800ST, equipped with GIVI side bags and top box.

I bought this thing to travel on, but have since had LOTS of people tell me that it is only good for short trips. Too small, they say, for a multi-thousand mile vacation.

I love my bike and really want it to take me a lot of places (I'm retired and widowed so its just me - 1 up).

Anyone out there doing long tours on an 800ST? If so, can you offer any advice??

:help I'm heading out in early Spring. and hope to make the BMW event in Wyoming.

Thanks

You won't have any problem traveling with your 800ST. I have an 800S and have done a 1006 mile day. On one trip I did a 870, 750, and a 950 mile days. Last year from April to October I put 18,000 miles on it. I have had a lot of BMWs and it is as comfortable as any of them. So many people think you have to have a big bike to travel with and that just isn't true. Have fun!!

No direct exprience with the F800; however, I think it will be a fine long distance bike if you are willing to deal with travel on a lighter bike and its nuances.

My first 20 years of motorcycle travel were on bikes from 500 to 750cc's. World famous, Ted Simon did his world tour on a 500cc Triumph. An aquaintance at the U of Mn, when I was an undergrad, road a Honda 90s between his home in Kentucky and college 4 times a year.

I suspect your F800ST is a far superior than any of our bikes were for the task.

My riding is mostly limited to commuting, but I've done several 500 mile days on my wife's F800ST and it was no problem. There are LOTS of people who have ridden them from here to there (1,000s of miles) without complaint. It's every bit as capable as my R12ST. Enjoy the ride! :wave

Last edited:
Herleman,
Who cares what the other people think? It's what you think that matters. When I got my first K bike in the 80's some of the boxer crowd said it wasn't a real BMW. Now the K75 is a 'classic' in some people's eyes. When I got the first F650 to arrive at the dealer in 1997, the same type of skeptics were putting it down, knowing absolutely nothing about them. Look at the loyal following the 650's have now.

As soon as someone offers one of those "universal truism" opinions like you "can't tour on a so-and-so", their opinion is immediately suspect in my mind.

My F800ST (with GIVI's by the way) has a better power to weight ratio than most of the boxers, outstanding handling, light weight, and is smoother than any of the boxers and some of the K's I've ridden. My wife says the pillion accommodations are more comfortable than the oilhead it replaced (including a 600 mile day), and I specifically chose it because of its small feel, which to me is a huge advantage.

There are a lot of people in this club with more miles under their belts, but of the couple hundred thousand miles I've accumulated on 7 BMW's I think the F800 is by far the best one I've owned, for my purposes. Your F800 is capable of touring just fine.

Sir: It always cracks me up when I hear people say that a 800cc bike is too small for touring. In 1976 I traveled across our great Country on a 10 speed bicycle. My first motorcycle had 750 CC's and yes I toured with it just fine. Second Motorcycle was a 800CC BMW R80/7
and it too was fine on the open road and loaded down. Enjoy your Bike and our great Country.

Dave

We have people in Australia that go all over the country on Postie bikes(110cc Hondas)
It is the ride that you enjoy, not what you do it on.
I have an F650GS, and while I havnt been long trips, I am sure it would be great.
Listen to yourself, not others who have probably never been out of sight, let alone a big trip.

I toured 80,000 Kms on a Honda 750 before I got my RS. It did not have as much HP as the F800ST and I never had any trouble doing so. My wife has a new ST on order for delivery this spring as well as a set of Givi bags. We have a trip planned for late June and hope to get a few thousand Kms on it then.

For what its worth, my R1100RS has 90 HP and weighs more than the ST with 85 HP. Add my extra weight over my wife's and I'm concerned I'll have to go buy a faster bike now. :doh I think I'll handicap her with all the camping gear from now on. :D

I have a Honda VFR750, which is "smaller" then your F800. The key question, is it comfortable for you? Does it meet your speed and packing needs? Then why not use it if you are happy with it.

Traveled through New Zealand on an F650GS - plenty of power but you learn to shift and to anticipate the bike's needs. An F800ST has a lot more power. Another advantage of a medium displacement bike.

Another undocumented feature: sooner or later for some reason or another you will need to get it up off it's side.

They are wrong. I traded in a honda cb600f (hornet, honda 599) for this bike. I am a taller person with an equally long inseam. I couldn't go 40 min on the honda without knees and butt hurting. I would go on long rides and everyone knew I was miserable. I started riding 2 up with the boyfriend on his goldwing because I couldn't get through the long rides even with some modifications to the honda.

I rode the st for over 2 hours a few weeks ago and didn't feel a thing until I got off of it for a break. My butt hurt, but it was the same hurt if you wouldn't have moved for over 2 hours in a movie theater seat. Once I got back on the back (only after a potty break) I still didn't feel a thing, not even in the butt.

I think it depends how the bike fits you. If the ergonomics are right - then you will only have the general soreness after a long ride. If it doesn't - then you will know.

I absolutely can't wait for my first long trip on it (in May). So far, as comfort goes, it is worth every penny I will pay for it. I love my Honda, but the comfort was like having a beautiful gf, but having to put up with all of her high maintenance crap. The ST is beautiful too, but practical. I 100% sold on this bike. If it fits you ergonomically, there is no limit to your ride.

Take care and post back and let us know how you like her. :bikes

Give it a try but work up to a long trip in smaller increments. Nothing worse than being on a multi-day trip and finding out your rear end can't handle the seat, the position of the bars make your shoulders ache, or you left behind something you can't do without in place of stuff you could!

Part of long distance touring is the bike. Part of it is you. It's making sure your body can do it, so you have to train for it.

The other part is packing. I've not got this sorted out myself, so I can't answer this authoritatively. I tend to overpack, but I've got a bigger bike too. Still not a good thing.

Anyway, point is, try some overnights, longer day rides, mix up freeway and two lanes, and see how it works for you. That's what matters most, not what other folks say.

PS: I guy in our club did a couple month's tour on a 650 GS. From San Diego to Alaska (yeah, the End road) and to Nationals and places in between. He never did more than 400 miles a day. That's not very many miles, but it was what he was comfortable with and he had plenty of time to explore that way. Food for thought - nobody says you have to do 1000 miles a day.

I see that this topic has already been answered by several folks, but I wanted to add in my 2 cents after my experience last Fall.

We are getting back into riding after 20 years away. Our last MC was a 1981 Honda 900F SuperSport decked out for "sport touring" before anyone used that term. Our most memorable trip was 4000 miles in 10 days through the Gaspe Peninsula, Nova Scotia and Cape Bretton (sp?). That bike had (IIRC) about 80hp and was more than enough for us to travel very easily.

This Fall we went to a BMW dealer to test ride a few used and new bikes. Cathy and I took out a lightly used R1150RT then a new R1200RT. Then we rode a demo F800ST and we both liked it the best! She actually felt like there was more room for her on the F bike. Other than the $$$ that it would have taken to bring one home, that would have been our choice.

Since when does a long distance sport touring bike have to be 1200+cc and 800+ pounds?

I'm picking up my F800st tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to some long rides. I plan to make it to the rally in Wyoming (from Arkansas). I'll be sure to build up to the long ride. Based on the comments, it should be a great ride on the 800...

You have all been very encouraging and I thank you.

I'm starting out slowly around home here in Florida with some overnights and perhaps two-night trips.

Part of the reason is to "shake down" the equipment and to be sure that it balances and stays attached.

The other thing that I have to work into is freeway riding. Right now, I tend to avoid interstates because they are boring but also because I am still skittish about having trucks blow by me at 400 mph (more or less). I have to get my skittishness behind me.

Finally, I am grateful for the encouragement, because the simple fact is that this is my bike and it must serve all purposes. I was worried that perhaps there was something that made the F800 inherently unworthy as a long distance tourer (even some of the other posts on this forum seem to make that claim).

I'm glad you all see it differently -- it makes me feel much better. I hope to see many of you in Wyoming. Look for a blue ST with a Florida plate and an old man at the controls.:buds

BTW, the best part of the F800 is the 67 mpg on the highway. Try that on a big bike someday.

(oh, yeah, I almost forgot -- Sapphire, When I came back to riding after a 20 year absence, my first bike was a CB600F -- it was as close to my old CB550 as I could find -- and it quickly reminded my of why I always wanted something better than the 550. Great little bike for tearing around town, a horrible bike for touring more than two hours at a time. And it got 46 mpg on a good day).

I have a 2007 F800ST, equipped with GIVI side bags and top box.

I bought this thing to travel on, but have since had LOTS of people tell me that it is only good for short trips. Too small, they say, for a multi-thousand mile vacation.

I love my bike and really want it to take me a lot of places (I'm retired and widowed so its just me - 1 up).

Anyone out there doing long tours on an 800ST? If so, can you offer any advice??

:help I'm heading out in early Spring. and hope to make the BMW event in Wyoming.

Thanks

Pure poppycock! This bigger is better notion is pure nonsense. Must have come from a Triumph Rocket III owner, or a Boss Hoss rider.

For almost 19 years I rode a K75 - 370,000 miles - competed in a few 24 hour endurance rallies and several 1000 mile poker runs - completed the Iron Butt Rally twice. F650s tour a lot. TheSuzuki 650 VStrom is a well respected long distance mount.

Long days or long trips are all about ergonomics and wind protection. If your position on the bike suits you, the seat works for you, and it has enough wind protection in the right places so your body isn't fighting wind, then 800cc is more than big enough to get the job done. And its size, nimble handling, and easy maneuverability give it a distinct advantage over a larger bike in many situations.

I think you need a better informed advisor.

Herleman, back in the mid - late 1960's my buddies and I went on many "excursions" from southern Calif. all over the state. Kings Canyon, Sequoia etc. Our equipment was very very basic, sleeping bags, cooking utensils in a stuff sack and clothing in and AWOL bag all bungied to our 250cc - 305cc Yamaha's & Honda's. No saddle bags, no fairings, and I think a couple of us may have had aftermarket luggage racks on the back mostly used for school books. As I recall, we all had great times everytime we went and none of us ever considered the posibility that we were under-equipped or under-powered.

10 years later I was riding my R75/5 from San Diego to Santa Cruz, and later from Palo Alto up to Vancouver Island Pacific Rim National Park. The same basic equipment was mostly secured in Wixom saddle bags and I was hunkered down behind a Wixom Ranger fairing. Much more "soghisticated" rig but the plan was the same. Go out, explore and have fun doing it.

So now, I have a machine that will do 120mph+ , has hermetic saddlebags and will go 300+ miles between gas stops, etc., etc., etc. You get the picture. But, the mission is still the same, go out, explore and have fun doing it. Like the old Nike shoe commercial said "Just Do It", and of course enjoy!

Sorry I have not yet scanned in any of the photo's from those olden days.

Dave, Dot & Feckles Doggie

Dave:

Thanks -- you hit it on the head. In the 60s I spent a couple of weeks traveling from the midwest to Colorado. I had a Honda 350 Scrambler and a back pack.

Some of my greatest memories come from that trip -- its probably what led me to buy this bike.

Thanks for your response.

j

Back