• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

long way round

rms000

Just watched the series "long way round" and was just amazed at the punishment that the bmw bikes took and kept on running. I couldn't believe they could run in such deep water. Are they that reliable?

They weren't actually BMWs. They were the new Urals.

Wtf?

They are BMW's. The books are great too. "long way round" and "long way down" You'll never want to put them down.

Just watched the series "long way round" and was just amazed at the punishment that the bmw bikes took and kept on running. I couldn't believe they could run in such deep water. Are they that reliable?

Certainly helps to have a 30 person support team with extra parts, tool, and gear following you around and going ahead to make arrangements for you.

A lot of people chide the guys for the "luxury tour" they took with sponsorships, support crew, etc., but they were making a movie to sell to us and so I expect them to have insurances to support success. And hey, if I could get someone to pay for my trip, give me a bike, and send a support crew I'm pretty certain I'd not say no!

If you do want to see poor guys do a similar adventure, with handheld cameras, beat up bikes, and having to get a job to earn money to get home, Google the DVD "Mondo Enduro" and "Terra Circa". You'll enjoy them as well.

Finally, if anyone knows of other movies of this ilk let us know. I'm in the middle of my cross country ride and I need more adventure riding DVDs.

They whined alot about missing their wives in the book. But I am sure that gave them mileage when they got home.

It was a pretty good book.

Yes they held up well except for breaking in half............... Amazing that they carried such large loads when they had a support team available. Compare their loads to Helge Pedersen's little ole F650. Still I enjoyed both DVDs Ewan and Charlie made.

Don't forget they approached KTM first with their proposal. Wonder why ?

Its been said KTM turned them down because they didn't think these guys could pull it off or KTM secretely didn't think the bikes capable.

Doesn't really matter, but I still think with the massive resources they had available that most anyone could do their trip and probably on most any similiar bike.

For me, I enjoyed the prep work. I also found the border crossings interesting. Trips of this magnitude require a lot of support-and cash. I didn't read the books but have both the DVDs. Gary

The GS has become the best selling bike in UK, largely due to this exposure.
The one issue that made me wince was how heavily the bike were loaded - why, when you have a chase vehicle?
I believe that KTM felt that they did not have the budget for this kind promotion - their story.

Even with all the resources at their disposal, the journey was a real accomplishment in my book and I found both films, especially the first one, very entertaining. I've actually watched both of them more than once. Hey, the winters are long and cold up here! :D

To put things in perspective I recall the first person to ride a motorcycle around the world did so back in the teens on a single cylinder, single speed bike.

Even with all the resources at their disposal, the journey was a real accomplishment in my book and I found both films, especially the first one, very entertaining. I've actually watched both of them more than once. Hey, the winters are long and cold up here! :D

I remember there was quite a bit of substance in the Long Way Down series that didn't make it into the movie ...for those long winter nights.

Every time someone comments that they enjoyed the Long Way Round DVD/Book (I did), there are invariably a few sourpusses who have to comment on the fact it wasn't real because they had a support team, they are rich, they were sponsored, they really wanted KTMs but settled for BMW, etc.

Who cares? I don't think anyone (and certainly not Charlie and Ewan on the DVD) claimed that they are the baddest motorcycle adventurers out there. The support team (which is there mostly for the documentary BTW) was part of the plan, not some hidden benefit for the riders.

I (and my non-motorcycling wife) enjoyed it immensely (OK, except for the OC chopper part :) ), and it introduced us to parts of the world we hadn't really seen much of yet. We enjoyed it for it was: two guys who have the money, clout and drive to realize their dream adventure and generally have a great time doing it.

BTW, Ewan later returned and adopted one of the kids in Mongolia (I believe one of the ones that lived 'under the city'. Good man in my book.

Having said all that, the unsung hero of the trip (and something that McGregor and Boorman also stated) to me is Claudio, the cameraman. He did the same ride - and filmed it too!

Robert E. Fulton Jr. ????????

Robert E. Fulton Jr., an adventurer who circumnavigated the globe by motorcycle in 1932, invented a flying car in 1945, and spent the rest of his life turning his observations from land and air into photographic and sculptural art ?

The book, "The Long Journey Home: The 1932 Motorcycle Voyage of Robert E. Fulton Jr."

.......snip......from his obit :bow

After graduating from Harvard and earning a master's degree in architecture from the Bauhaus school at the University of Vienna, young Fulton decided to return home to New York by going east instead of sailing west. He couldn't photograph much architecture, he and his father agreed, through a ship's porthole.

Given a Douglas two-cylinder motorcycle, he added an auxiliary four-gallon gas tank, a hidden compartment for his .32-caliber Smith & Wesson revolver, a sidecar and extra luggage racks to hold his books, sleeping bag, pots and pans, extra walking shoes, tuxedo, sketchy maps from the Royal Automotive Club in London, a Leica camera and a hand-wound 35-millimeter Bell & Howell movie camera.

Fulton set off from London in May 1932 on an 18-month odyssey that would take him 40,000 miles through some 32 countries, crossing Europe, the Balkans, Greece and Turkey, Syria, Iraq and Iran, India, Afghanistan, Pakistan, French Indochina, Java, China and Japan, and the United States from San Francisco to New York.

Learning fast, he dumped the books in Paris, gave away the sleeping bag, pots and pans and shoes in Italy, and ditched the sidecar and tuxedo in the Balkans. The only use he found for his pistol was as a hammer when making repairs.

The motorcyclist ran out of gas once, had six flat tires, was hospitalized for jaundice in Baghdad and knocked himself out in Turkey when his bike plunged 12 feet into a culvert during the night.

:bow ................and he lived to see age 95.

Where is Claudio ?????

The unsung hero of the trip (and something that McGregor and Boorman also stated) to me is Claudio, the cameraman. He did the same ride - and filmed it too!

Reverse, check out Caudio's recent work with these inspirational young men . There is a huge video section and some good reading.........bikeless but raw adventure in an electric car.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wa2c4NLXQ64?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wa2c4NLXQ64?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Having said all that, the unsung hero of the trip (and something that McGregor and Boorman also stated) to me is Claudio, the cameraman. He did the same ride - and filmed it too!

Yes. I want Claudio to follow me around and shoot me too.

Noel

Back