• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

AMA Superbike at Mid-Ohio?

Emoto

Am I the last to realise that the AMA Nationals are the weekend of July 22-24, 2005 at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Lexington, OH? Mapsonus has those two cities at about 100 miles apart by the fastest route. This is a doubleheader weekend, meaning there will be a Superbike race on both Saturday and Sunday.

I am tempted to go see one of them. I haven't seen Superbike in person since they stopped coming to Loudon a few years ago and have never seen a race at Mid Ohio.

Thoughts?

I went last year, I didnt have the time to get out to the rally, so that was my fun trip of the year. BMW was the featured bike at vintage days last year, the week before. It is a great time, I camped with all the crazies there, and had a good time.
Nothing like the smell of racing fuel in the morning :D

Hey E!

FWIW, the Yankee Beemers will be packing up much of the Toy Box Saturday evening so we can blaze over to the track for the racing on Sunday.

I think seeing the superbikes will be worth the effort.

Best,

Rob Nye

lorazepam said:
I went last year, I didnt have the time to get out to the rally, so that was my fun trip of the year. BMW was the featured bike at vintage days last year, the week before. It is a great time, I camped with all the crazies there, and had a good time.
Nothing like the smell of racing fuel in the morning :D

Yeah I was there last year as well, even got to do the ride around the track with a bunch of the other spectators, nice track with plenty of good viewing areas.

The vintage days there are well worth checking out as well as the superbike stuff.

RM

What Type of Ticket Should I Get?

Rocketman, perhaps you might give a complete newbie some advice. I, too, noticed that there was a race weekend at Mid-Ohio and thought I might try to go one day on the weekend. Never having been to a race, which day is better, Saturday, or Sunday? Does it all happen during daylight hours? Also, what's the "seating" like? Should I buy a granstand seat, or general admission (will I actually see anything with a gen adm ticket?)? Will I bake if I'm in bike gear? Thanks.

marcopolo said:
Rocketman, perhaps you might give a complete newbie some advice. I, too, noticed that there was a race weekend at Mid-Ohio and thought I might try to go one day on the weekend. Never having been to a race, which day is better, Saturday, or Sunday? Does it all happen during daylight hours? Also, what's the "seating" like? Should I buy a granstand seat, or general admission (will I actually see anything with a gen adm ticket?)? Will I bake if I'm in bike gear? Thanks.

A general admission ticket will allow you to sit anywhere in the grass, but not in a reserved grandstand seat. I like the gen admission, because I can move around the track and get different views from different vantage points.

Sunday is the final race, for all classes, and unless someone gets hurt on saturday, the whole field should be racing. you can take in a small cooler and a lawn chair (kermit chair) if you want. I have some pictures at smugmug and here are a few:
786517-M-1.jpg
This is the entrance to Thunder Valley.

786516-M-1.jpg
This is turn one

http://lorazepam.smugmug.com/photos/786522-M-1.jpg the entrance. and the bikes there.

Remember it is July in Ohio and it will be hot and muggy (oh to feel that again)

Sounds good, Rob.

How is spectating at Mid Ohio? Is there a spot where you can see most/all of the track,like Loudon, or is it more like Pocono where you just have to pick a spot and watch that one little area and hope to understand what's happening in the race?

It is like pocano, elevation changes, and 2.5 miles of track. Pick a spot you think will be most entertaining and see. If it sucks, try another spot. You can move around to various places during practice and see which one you like. I personally like the end of the long straight just before thunder valley to watch the guys slow down from amazingly high speeds and set up for the twisties.

Loraz

Since you are a local, you might have to share some insight. I went last year to vintage days, so I am somewhat familiar with Mid-Ohio. We camped on the infield so I didn't have to worry about parking. I would love to go with a small group on Sat and see the races from the infield. Whattya think?

MG

Much bigger crowd for the superbikes, I would think if you get tickest for access there it would be a great spot to watch. If you want to crash here on the way home after the races let me know. I am about an hour from the track

Loraz,
Are you not planning on going to the races? OR did you mean on Sun? You are going to beemerville, I trust? I may go to the races Sat. I am already signed up for the laps and lunches at the track on thurs. I wonder if they will have any practices going on after lunch that day?

MG

wvcajun said:
Loraz,
Are you not planning on going to the races? OR did you mean on Sun? You are going to beemerville, I trust? I may go to the races Sat. I am already signed up for the laps and lunches at the track on thurs. I wonder if they will have any practices going on after lunch that day?

MG

WE have the track for the WHOLE day. Guess folks dont realize how hard it is to get a full track day during that week.

I will probably go to the races on Sunday, since I have a lot of friends I wont get to see for a while in Lima.

I'd enjoy bombing around the track, but my $$$ are budgeted elsewhere.

I expect to go to the track on Sunday and then over the next week work my way through WV and on down to the RCR the following weekend.

Emoto

If you are worried about $$$$ for riding the track, I have a good idea. You probably already know this, but there is a Laps and Lunch charity ride around the track on Thurs. It is only $20 and you get 6 laps. I paid $15 or $25 for 3 laps around Watkins Glen while at the 04 Finger Lakes Rally. I am not complaining at all because it was well worth my money.

MG

Avoid US 30 between Lima and Lexington

I would suggest avoiding US 30 between Lima and Mid Ohio, because there are a lot of trucks, and there will be a lot of construction east of Lima. ODOT is turning US 30 into a 4 lane divided highway, and the work will be taking palce on a 26 mile stretch between Lima and Upper Sandusky.

I would suggest heading toward Marion, and then going through Mt. Gilead.

:thumb

I am debating about going to the superbike weekend, since I am going to Vintage Days, but Mid Ohio is kinda on my way home from Lima. :D

What?

Biff's R said:
I would suggest avoiding US 30 between Lima and Mid Ohio, because there are a lot of trucks, and there will be a lot of construction east of Lima. ODOT is turning US 30 into a 4 lane divided highway, and the work will be taking palce on a 26 mile stretch between Lima and Upper Sandusky.

I would suggest heading toward Marion, and then going through Mt. Gilead.

:thumb

I am debating about going to the superbike weekend, since I am going to Vintage Days, but Mid Ohio is kinda on my way home from Lima. :D

Thanks for the info, but I am confused about where it fits.

MG :dunno

Loraz

lorazepam said:
take 309 instead it is a lot more fun

By a lot more fun, do you mean twisties or great scenery? About how long would it take from Lima to Mid Ohio taking 309? My original plan was to stay the night on Wed in London, OH. Then on Thur, I was going to ride to Lima, check in and set up camp, then ride over to Mid-Ohio for the Laps and Lunch. Is that do-able? I thought I would not want to do hot laps around the course with all my camping gear on the bike. Opinion?

MG

wvcajun said:
By a lot more fun, do you mean twisties or great scenery? About how long would it take from Lima to Mid Ohio taking 309? My original plan was to stay the night on Wed in London, OH. Then on Thur, I was going to ride to Lima, check in and set up camp, then ride over to Mid-Ohio for the Laps and Lunch. Is that do-able? I thought I would not want to do hot laps around the course with all my camping gear on the bike. Opinion?

MG

I live about an hour from the track, and if youwant to bunk here, you are welcome. As far as your gear, you would have to remove it prior to getting out there doing hot laps. you can store it trackside without much worry of anyone taking anything if you really want to do the whole day.

309 is two lane road, and I prefer that over a slab ride anyday.

Back