• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

California

mojoman

Hi Folks:

We have not been to California since 1974, the year we were married. Prior to that I spent three winters there racing motocross and staying with great friends at their home in North Hollywood. I want to return.

Retirement begins January 1, 2019 and high on our priority list is spending a month in California, riding and driving to see all the sites we can take in. We plan to rent a home or living style accommodations for a month through AirB&B or HomeAway but where should we locate? We want to ride some of the great mountain roads and also be able to take a run to the ocean now and then. What would be the best location to be at in order to accommodate this plan? Just don't want to be located in the big cities. A small town or out in the country is what we want.

Thanks in advance.
Ron

California is a big state with a lot to see.
I would be temped to locate in three locations making it easier to see all of the state.
You could locate in Northern, Central and Southern parts of the state.
This option would probably cost more than renting one place for a month.

Not sure what your main interest are but I would think about somewhere in Napa or Sonoma county north of San Francisco. Is close to the coast, San Francisco and the sierras. You can’t find a bad road in the area and it’s a short ride to all the great roads in the sierras.
You can zip up and down highway one. Oregon border is less than a day away and you can get to so cal as well.

I live in Southern California, ride the state extensively. Late fall and winter ride the southern desert areas Palm Springs south. Spring, summer rides, once Sierra passes are clear we head north
You can easily spend a couple weeks riding down the coast and exploring all sights. Places to avoid are San Francisco and LA as traffic and roads suck. Pick a north and south anchor point, based on time of year and go from their
My money says Oakhurst or groveland for the sierras, lots of day rides
Palm Springs area for winter, again lots of great rides as long as temperatures aren’t to bad
Ft Bragg on the lost coast is another starting spot for exploring the redwoods
Have fun and watch out for Prius and mini van drivers

I'm a big fan of Redding. Easy access to mountain roads in all directions and just a couple of hours to the coast on very entertaining Highway 299. A word of warning - it gets HOT in the summer.

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but I've lived in SoCal for 50+ years. Not what it use to be. L.A. Metro area has been voted as having the worlds worse traffic four years running. Just can't get there from here anymore. Had business in L.A. last week, a 38 mile drive from the I.E. took 4 hours. And while 99% of my fellow drivers were driving nice, there was just too many of them. Same today, drive from downtown L.A. home was a nightmare. And elsewhere the I-10 through the Banning Pass sometimes looks like the 91 freeway through Green River & Corona on a Friday afternoon (Trust me, that's not a good thing).

But central and northern CA, especially away from any big metro area, some really great stuff. The coast road north of the bay area, :thumb. And the National and State parks are still fantastic. Sequoia, Yosemite, the Redwoods, not to be missed. And Hwy 395 from Lone Pine and points north, not a bad place to ride either.

Hi Folks:

We have not been to California since 1974, the year we were married. Prior to that I spent three winters there racing motocross and staying with great friends at their home in North Hollywood. I want to return.

Retirement begins January 1, 2019 and high on our priority list is spending a month in California, riding and driving to see all the sites we can take in. We plan to rent a home or living style accommodations for a month through AirB&B or HomeAway but where should we locate? We want to ride some of the great mountain roads and also be able to take a run to the ocean now and then. What would be the best location to be at in order to accommodate this plan? Just don't want to be located in the big cities. A small town or out in the country is what we want.

Thanks in advance.
Ron

Ron, whenever I suggest that a tourist visit my neck of the woods, I wince just a little because the CA Central Coast between Santa Barbara and Big Sur where I live is still relatively unknown to a lot of folks. We have without question some of the best roads for motorcycling, not to mention some of the most scenic views along our coast (Hwy 1). We are blessed to live in such a beautiful place and are also without the madness of LA traffic. To put this in perspective...I live near Pismo Beach which is in San Luis Obispo County, a population of 250,000 compared to Los Angeles County with a population of 13,000,000. Most of the cities in SLO county have populations ranging from 5,000 to 10,000 with some only in the hundreds. Needless to say, it’s a great place to visit from that standpoint alone.

We are also in the heart of wine country, so besides the coastline, there are many other wonderful places to explore throughout the hills and canyons.

If you decide to come for a visit, let me know, maybe we can do some riding together and I’d be happy to recommend some great places for you and your wife to explore. If you opted to travel beyond this immediate area, Monterey is only 140 miles to the North and Santa Barbara is about 90 miles to the South. Plenty of great places to explore in those areas as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. That area from Oxnard north is what I am leaning toward. Probably going to have to select a couple of places to stay since California is a long way from north to south. Got lots of time to plane. Thanks for the help

Ron, whenever I suggest that a tourist visit my neck of the woods, I wince just a little because the CA Central Coast between Santa Barbara and Big Sur where I live is still relatively unknown to a lot of folks. We have without question some of the best roads for motorcycling, not to mention some of the most scenic views along our coast (Hwy 1). We are blessed to live in such a beautiful place and are also without the madness of LA traffic. To put this in perspective...I live near Pismo Beach which is in San Luis Obispo County, a population of 250,000 compared to Los Angeles County with a population of 13,000,000. Most of the cities in SLO county have populations ranging from 5,000 to 10,000 with some only in the hundreds. Needless to say, it’s a great place to visit from that standpoint alone.

We are also in the heart of wine country, so besides the coastline, there are many other wonderful places to explore throughout the hills and canyons.

If you decide to come for a visit, let me know, maybe we can do some riding together and I’d be happy to recommend some great places for you and your wife to explore. If you opted to travel beyond this immediate area, Monterey is only 140 miles to the North and Santa Barbara is about 90 miles to the South. Plenty of great places to explore in those areas as well.

Thanks for the info. That area from Oxnard north is what I am leaning toward. Probably going to have to select a couple of places to stay since California is a long way from north to south. Got lots of time to plane. Thanks for the help

Absolutely! Having a couple different place to stay along the route is a very good idea.

Also if you are interested, there are a couple places you can rent a bikes from.

You're planning a one month visit - which month? I'd plan quite differently for a February visit than for August, for example.

Northern California. Too many different areas to mention, but places like Humboldt County, Sonoma, Ukiah, Ferndale, Oroville, Medocino come to mind.

Trust me, California has changed a whole lot since 1974. :nod

Ian

btw, winter is when in rains in CA

Lassen County

I live in the “real” Northern California, NorthEastern California to be exact. Come ride up here, lots of two lane black top with no traffic and mountains and/or high desert terrain! Living up here was a reason I got back into riding and bought my R1200RT! Ride safe, and if you do come up here, watch out for deer!

"Talk to me of Mendicino, closing my eyes I hear the sea." (Kate and Anna Mc Garrigal)

Friedle

In ‘75 I slept 50’ from the Pacific and 50’ from Rt 1 North of Fort Bragg where the road leaves the coast and did not see or hear a car all night.

A few years ago where Rt 1 leaves Rt 101 and heads South (Leggett, CA) to the same place on the Coast, I waited for a clear road downhill (with the help of alternate one way construction) and had as pleasant a run as ever on two wheels.

Wonderful State full of “everything”. Try and see it all, just don’t rush it. I prefer quality over ........

Charlie

California? I just wish more people would cherish the golden state of mind called California and just stay there!!

That tears it! You're not helping matters tango!!

Ha! Ha! So true! Hence, which is why I said I wince just a little every time I suggest a tourist visit my neck of the woods.

It truly is a beautiful place to live, work and play. I feel fortunate to live in a place where people come to vacation. But when it comes to tourists....as the old adage goes....”Some people make you happy when the come, others when they leave!” ;-)

Boy I'd give Southern California a miss, and concentrate on central and northern California.
SoCal these days is so congested its unreal. I'm sure there are still pockets here and there but Man what a Zoo!
I was born in Venice Beach and was there until 1978, I have to go back once in awhile and the traffic is tough to take.

I live in the “real” Northern California, NorthEastern California to be exact. Come ride up here, lots of two lane black top with no traffic and mountains and/or high desert terrain! Living up here was a reason I got back into riding and bought my R1200RT! Ride safe, and if you do come up here, watch out for deer!

You know, I didn't tell him about that area for a reason! :nono :ha

Back