• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

High speed pinging, 04 1150GS

Hi,
I'm getting what seems to be major pinging in the motor when I accelerate from 75 - 80 MPH, in 6th gear.
I'm running the high octain but I have been getting fuel from Sams club. My current tank full is from the AAFES gas station and I'm going to try Exxon (and whoever they recently merged with) for a few tanks to see if it runs better.
Any other ideas? Maybe a timing issue? Is timing even adjustable on these things?
I might be making a trip to CT this fall on it and need to get this figured out by then.

Thanks, Al

high speed pinging

Al,

I've got an 'o4 1150GS and have not had any pinging. I use Chevron gas.

Pinging

Does the gas from Sam's club have alcohol in it? Sage advice from the rally in Trenton, "it clearly states in your owners manual not to use contaminated fuel". The pinging is caused by an increased compression ratio. Four ways to cure this problem, one, increase the octane rating in your fuel. Two, pull the heads and decarbonize. Three, run seafoam or Chevron Techron total fuel system cleaner in your bike. Four, run the bike up to 75, or 80 right before the pinging starts and keep it for a couple hours, then increase your speed another five mph. This method gets the heat into the engine and frees the carbon from the head. Load the bike down, and head into the wind, try to get six bars on the RID. RPM's, run at least 4,000 rpms, 5,000 rpm is better for the bike than 3500 rpm. JON

Stock GS gearing is too tall to expect robust acceleration in 6th at 75mph. You should be in 5th.

I'm not sure about the ethenol at Sams. It is usually identified pretty well at all the regular service stations. I've always avoided ethanol because when I tried it in one of my past vehicles, it would drop about 2 MPG.
I guess the carbon buildup could be a factor, I did baby it a bit for the first 1000 miles or so.
It is geared a bit high (especially 1st for an "enduro") but I hate to downshift just to accelerate on flat ground. I'll try it tomorrow on the way to work though.
Thanks for the advice. Hopefully I'll be able to run it at high speed for several hours next month. We'll see. I'm still optimistic about the change in gas, the whole octane thing is probably/hopefully my problem.

Al

check your valves, they may need adjusting unless they have been then you need gas from a good place and what ever octane your owners manual states, I have a repair manual I'm going by Chilton's, it's pretty damn good, had one for all bikes and vehicles.

check your valves, they may need adjusting unless they have been then you need gas from a good place and what ever octane your owners manual states, I have a repair manual I'm going by Chilton's, it's pretty damn good, had one for all bikes and vehicles.

Age of the plugs can also be a factor. When worn out, they can throw timing off a few degrees.

What mileage is the bike at?
What is your oil consumption?
Are you using stock plugs?
Are you on stock fueling?

Higher mileage oilhead engines carbon up, especially if the bike has higher oil consumption. De-coking will help.
Switching to Autolite 3922 plugs helps.
Installing an AF-xIED and setting to 5-7 will reduce/eliminate pinging*.
https://www.beemerboneyard.com/bmwafxied1150.html

*My own 1150GS does not ping with 89 octane even in 90+ deg temperatures.

EDIT: Just noticed this is a thread from WAY back...

A thought:

Is it pinging? Could it possibly be the timing chain slapping around? I've heard of pinging being confused with timing chain noise. If you haven't replaced/upgraded your left side timing chain tensioner that could also be the cause.

(Go Air Force)

Denny

Back