• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New purchase

Davesbmw

I have owned way too many boxers and love them but am considering the purchase of a k1300 gt with only 9000 miles on it 2009 year.
Do not know what to expect with this model
What issues are common and what to look out for
your comments and remarks would be appreciated
When I looked up the cost of a replacement clutch it shocked me, are these much more expensive to maintain than a boxer?

Thanks
Dave

The 1300 had most of the issues of the early 1200s resolved I believe. They are labour intensive to work on, so if your paying for maintenance and repairs, it could be a consideration. I do all my own work on my 08 K1200GT, it's not any more difficult or technical than any other newer model, it's just that you need to do a lot of steps sometimes to get to what you want to service. That said, some things like the clutch are less work than the pre-water cooled boxers to change with no need to split the bike in half. The parts may be costly, but its a simple job to do. I've never done mine on my GT, I have done my F800GS twice (lots of off road abuse) and its about a thirty minute job. I would expect the GT would be not be a lot more work once the plastic was off.

When I looked up the cost of a replacement clutch it shocked me, are these much more expensive to maintain than a boxer?

Barnett makes replacement clutch plates - if and when you need to change yours.

There's an excellent Wedge Tech Sub-forum if you want to do your own maintenance. As Ed says, the procedures are straightforward but getting to the stuff that needs working on can sometimes be time-consuming.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/forumdisplay.php?60-Wedge-K-Bikes-DIY-Technical-Library

I just had my valve clearances checked for the second time. Its a scheduled 30k km check. All were in spec which is typical of these bikes. I removed the bodywork ('cause I'm paranoid of the shop accidentally scratching it) and the labour was 1.75 hours for the job which I think is reasonable. Flushed the rad while they were at it!

Buy the bike. You'll never regret it.

I have owned way too many boxers and love them but am considering the purchase of a k1300 gt with only 9000 miles on it 2009 year.
Do not know what to expect with this model
What issues are common and what to look out for
your comments and remarks would be appreciated

Make sure the bike has the cam chain jump guard installed, a plastic piece easily checked through the crankshaft inspection port— a T-60 Torx on the RH side of crankcase. If it is not there check with your dealer; there is an informational bulletin from BMW on these and you might get it installed N/C. There are also a couple of computer updates you will want to make sure have been done, as well as having the dealer run the VIN to make sure the recalls on suspension linkage and rear wheel carrier flange have been completed.

Thanks
Dave

Yes, at least as far as valve checks. And worth every penny of it, when you understand it’s a 160hp bike that weighs 75lb less than a K16, has great ergos once you change the seat, and in a top-gear 65-90 roll-on pass is positively explosive. Great bikes that BMW should have continued to refine and perfect, but instead killed off to make room for a turgid tourer with a fancy engine that is even more expensive to maintain. But let me tell you how I really feel...
😊
Best,
DG

And worth every penny of it, when you understand it’s a 160hp bike that weighs 75lb less than a K16, has great ergos once you change the seat, and in a top-gear 65-90 roll-on pass is positively explosive. Great bikes that BMW should have continued to refine and perfect, but instead killed off to make room for a turgid tourer with a fancy engine that is even more expensive to maintain. But let me tell you how I really feel...
😊
Best,
DG

One could say much the same about the K1200 flying bricks.

Back