• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Thought from the Road-Gillette Bound

B

beemergrl

My very first trip cross country on a motorcycle. I am on a 650Cs and my husband is on an RT. Here are some things that have been interesting....

1. We are from the Dallas area and stopped over because my husbancd wanted to spend the night in Palo Duro Canyon in Texas. The mosquitos and flies were the worst I have experienced anywhere.

2. We put a bag on my best rest luggage rack on my bike and the strap came loose somehow and almost tore off my back turn signal. My husband will have to repair today before we leave from Colorado Springs.

3. My zumo glass on the front of GPS has shattered. Not a happy camper about that one. !!! :banghead

4. A bee flew up my sleeve near Carlton New Mexico and stung me at 75 MPH. Having to pull over very quickly was quite an experience. To top that off, while bent over on the road trying to take my helmet off in pain, another BMW rider whizzed by and didn't even stop or wave.

5. Gas war in Trinidad Colorado. Cheapest was 4.29 to 4.59. If you are traveling through Colorado on I 27, Fill up Pueblo north. Gas was 3.85. Much better.

6. Next stop...Fort Collins, tonight and Speafish rally tomorrow.

Needless to say, I'm not going to buy a lottery ticket. :wave

likewise

My very first trip cross country on a motorcycle. I am on a 650Cs and my husband is on an RT. Here are some things that have been interesting....

4. A bee flew up my sleeve near Carlton New Mexico and stung me at 75 MPH. Having to pull over very quickly was quite an experience. To top that off, while bent over on the road trying to take my helmet off in pain, another BMW rider whizzed by and didn't even stop or wave.

On a recent trip around the Great Lakes I stopped in MN at a "trapper's" roadside shop advertising Elk Skin Gloves for $10. Well, I bought two pairs of shorty-style roper gloves. I have only ever worn gauntlet style gloves. I tried a pair of the roper gloves a few days later. I immediately appreciated the added wind up my Darien sleeves. Then, I can't imagine how, a bee also whizzed up the tiny crack between the glove and cuff. Luckily I didn't get stung. I managed to pull over and slowly extricate myself from the jacket. I saw the slightly dazed bee fall to the ground then buzz away. Got lucky on that one. But my sympathies all the same. The positive side is that you now have interesting stories to tell upon your return. Right?!

Cheers, G

4. A bee flew up my sleeve near Carlton New Mexico and stung me at 75 MPH. Having to pull over very quickly was quite an experience.
To top that off, while bent over on the road trying to take my helmet off in pain, another BMW rider whizzed by and didn't even stop or wave.

Buy the Lottery ticket! The Bee coulda been a deer!

...and I'll wave! :wave

Unfortunately some BMW "Enthusiasts" are elitists as well. :whistle
The "Loud Pipes" of the Beemer crowd, if you will.

Safe Journey! Keep posting!

On a recent trip around the Great Lakes I stopped in MN at a "trapper's" roadside shop advertising Elk Skin Gloves for $10. Well, I bought two pairs of shorty-style roper gloves. I have only ever worn gauntlet style gloves. I tried a pair of the roper gloves a few days later. I immediately appreciated the added wind up my Darien sleeves. Then, I can't imagine how, a bee also whizzed up the tiny crack between the glove and cuff. Luckily I didn't get stung. I managed to pull over and slowly extricate myself from the jacket. I saw the slightly dazed bee fall to the ground then buzz away. Got lucky on that one. But my sympathies all the same. The positive side is that you now have interesting stories to tell upon your return. Right?!

Cheers, G

I have several motorcycle-riding bee sting stories, one involving a sensitive area of my ex-wife's anatomy - but will spare you all that. More to the point, I always wear gauntlet groves. In the summer the mesh gloves from First Gear pass a lot of air - not as much as open sleeves, but they don't pass the stinging insects. :brow

Buy the Lottery ticket! The Bee coulda been a deer!

...and I'll wave! :wave

Unfortunately some BMW "Enthusiasts" are elitists as well. :whistle
The "Loud Pipes" of the Beemer crowd, if you will.

Safe Journey! Keep posting!

Passed 3 black GS's yesterday and gave a big wave.. got nothing in return. :scratch

Zumo

How did the glass break on your gps?

Ouch! That had to hurt. I put a clear shield on my zumo hoping that it would prevent scratching. So far so good but I don't know about keys!

Altitude sickness...takes time. I used to visit Idaho years ago when I was a jogger and other times when I wasn't so fit. I would get up and run 5 miles...I found the better shape I was in the less it bothered me. It usually wears off in a day or two as you adjust to the elevation change. Hang in there and just take it easy. If you feel poorly, stop and rest. There's really not much else you can do but give yourself the time to adjust.

Last edited:
Well, we have made it to the relatives...a planned visit in Greely, Colorado. As far as my first posting with the list of interesting things along the way, I can now add altitude sickness. Headache and shortness of breath. Any ideas of how to best handle this while motorcycle riding will be appreciated.

By the way, I cracked my zumo glass with a set of keys I tossed in my helmet when we were camping out. How stupid was that!!!!!

Back