• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2002 R1150RT high oil consumption?

allemande

Hello fellow riders,
here is a question about oil consumption of an oilhead (2002 R1150RT with 56K miles). I have been riding this bike for the last 7500 miles- it runs great. No drips, no wet spots (except a sweaty oil filler cap, but that seems to be normal), no blue smoke, no odor of burnt oil- and yet, the oil level seems to drop slowly but surely after 100-200 miles.
How do I check the oil level? Bike goes on center stand, let it sit for a few minutes before getting a reading. I changed the oil about 6 weeks ago at mileage 55266 and today, after passing 56000 miles I noticed a significantly lower oil level in the sight glass. I am using Castrol full synthetic oil.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Hans

That bike has an oil cooler that captures and retains some oil for a while, messing up the oil readings. And if you think it is low and isn't and add oil which overfiils it it will use some oil. There are lots of ways folks do the dance but the most common recommendation is to put the bike on the sidestand for a while and then put it on the centerstand to check the oil. My experience is that you can't get a reliable reading within 30 minutes of turning the engine off. I usually park on the sidestand and then the next morning or so pop it on the centerstand. I want the oil level at the dot (center) in the sight glass engine cold. From cold to hot the oil level goes up about 1/4 the diameter of the sight glass, but it is hard to get a reliable reading with the oil hot unless you wait a half hour or so.

This is a reliable way to check oil level on an oilhead

Bike at 5 bars RID running on sidestand
Oil cooler hot to the touch (this confirms the thermostat is open)
Turn off
Wait 3-5 minutes for cooler to drain into sump
Put bike on the centerstand
Check level on the sight glass

That bike has an oil cooler that captures and retains some oil for a while, messing up the oil readings. And if you think it is low and isn't and add oil which overfiils it it will use some oil. There are lots of ways folks do the dance but the most common recommendation is to put the bike on the sidestand for a while and then put it on the centerstand to check the oil. My experience is that you can't get a reliable reading within 30 minutes of turning the engine off. I usually park on the sidestand and then the next morning or so pop it on the centerstand. I want the oil level at the dot (center) in the sight glass engine cold. From cold to hot the oil level goes up about 1/4 the diameter of the sight glass, but it is hard to get a reliable reading with the oil hot unless you wait a half hour or so.

Thank you for the advice.

This is a reliable way to check oil level on an oilhead

Bike at 5 bars RID running on sidestand
Oil cooler hot to the touch (this confirms the thermostat is open)
Turn off
Wait 3-5 minutes for cooler to drain into sump
Put bike on the centerstand
Check level on the sight glass

Thank you GS addict. Much appreciated.

Back