• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Is the BMWMOA website slow

WalterK75

I am online Tuesday around 16:00 EST and I was thrilled when I got 10 KB/S throughput when going to a thread from the forum page. This was the fastest I experienced. It seems very slow, but this was slower than the old dial-up modem speeds. Is it my end or the is the site slow? It took up to ten seconds for this message to come up so I could preview it. Way too slow.

I'm not experiencing any particular slowness. It may be that your ISP is having some difficulty. Are other sites slow to load?

From time to time, I get very slow loads of the MOA pages, forum or otherwise. When I see that happening, I usually close my web browser and reopen...things seem to run faster. I'm sure it's just me and mine...

As I was recently reminded by one of the members -it's a good idea to turn your modem off from time to time. When you turn it back on (abt. 15 min.) the fresh start makes a difference. Gary

A very common cause of slow performance for any site is the connection (route) between your computer and that site. One way to see this is to use the Windows tracert command. Go to your Start menu, then pick "run" and enter "cmd" and press Enter. This will get you a command window. Then enter "tracert somewebsite.com" and press Enter. The results show the time in milliseconds of every connection (hop) between you and the target system. Times below 100ms are very good, when close to 200ms you will see some noticeable lag times.

Here's a link to more information about the tracert command:
http://www.mediacollege.com/internet/troubleshooter/traceroute.html

Attachments

• Tractrt.png
    Tractrt.png
    12.8 KB · Views: 171
For me, I go to my desktop "Explorer" icon, click on that, perhaps 2 seconds to start coming up and loading. I then scroll over to "favorites" and click BMWMOA and that begins to come up in again perhaps 2 or 3 seconds. Now over to forums, click, and here I am......all in all perhaps 10 seconds....more like 5 usually.........

I am wayyyyyyy out on the end of a long telephone line with the medium speed AT&T DSL........best I can get........anyway...working just fine here.....God bless....Dennis

For me, I go to my desktop "Explorer" icon, click on that, perhaps 2 seconds to start coming up and loading. I then scroll over to "favorites" and click BMWMOA and that begins to come up in again perhaps 2 or 3 seconds. Now over to forums, click, and here I am......all in all perhaps 10 seconds....more like 5 usually.........

I am wayyyyyyy out on the end of a long telephone line with the medium speed AT&T DSL........best I can get........anyway...working just fine here.....God bless....Dennis

The load time for Internet Explorer is 100% a function of the performance of your local PC. The response time you see when cruising the Internet is a combination of the speed of your PC, the performance of your Internet connection, and a given site itself.

You can test your connection easily at several locations. I use SpeakEasy a lot: http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

My flash updates automatically perhaps once per week. Graphic design and videography here so MUST have the most current and up to date software, DSL connection, and knowledge base.

Anyway, updated Flash just now for grins and then booted the puter. THIS web home page, BMWMOA, took perhaps one second to come up after clicking on the favorites. After it came up it took 18 seconds to load so I could click on something for it to work. This has become about the NORM........If I go into one of the "articles" it takes a very long time to load that and then when I go "back" to the "home" it takes a very long time to load that and be ready to click something else.

Yes, progress is great........BUT SOMETHING IS WRONG.........God bless......Dennis

My flash updates automatically perhaps once per week. Graphic design and videography here so MUST have the most current and up to date software, DSL connection, and knowledge base.

Anyway, updated Flash just now for grins and then booted the puter. THIS web home page, BMWMOA, took perhaps one second to come up after clicking on the favorites. After it came up it took 18 seconds to load so I could click on something for it to work. This has become about the NORM........If I go into one of the "articles" it takes a very long time to load that and then when I go "back" to the "home" it takes a very long time to load that and be ready to click something else.

Yes, progress is great........BUT SOMETHING IS WRONG.........God bless......Dennis

There is another thread on this topic also. Maybe combine the two?
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=53689

I posted a movie of my loading the new page w/ safari for the first time w/ a log in.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showpost.php?p=686799&postcount=14

It loads fine for me w/ no hesitations on all three browsers - Firefox 3.6XX, Safari and Chrome.
I never use Explorer.
There are so many variables that suggestion seemed the easiest for now.

"My flash updates automatically perhaps once per week. Graphic design and videography here so MUST have the most current and up to date software, DSL connection, and knowledge base."
Yes I know. I do the very same thing. But on a Mac w/ a Cable Modem. DSL is too slow out here.

Just a thought . . .
If you don't have your browser set up to clean up stuff like cookies and browsing history you might want to do so occasionally.

I like to do a manual clean up from time to time anyway.

snipped: The load time for Internet Explorer is 100% a function of the performance of your local PC.

??? I have been experiencing incredibly slow load times since i "upgraded" to IE 9. I will be switching back to 8 when I have a chance. Chrome and Firefox on the same box work fine.

For those that were following the partial page loading situation, the posts have been moved into a thread of their own. This will (hopefully) make it easier in the future for the membership to see a forum oddity when it shows up. The new thread is HERE-Partial Display of Home Page Thanks, the Mod Team.

Back