• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Riding Suit: Light at the end of the tunnel

BMW Triumphant

Ed Kilner #176066
Last week I tried to get a riding jacket and pants set. I was willing to pay up to $1000 CAD. And, I failed. One suit had pants that located the armor too much below my knee. Yes, I know the manufacturer must make some compromises in sizes offered, but this suit was right up against my limits and I was not pleased. Other suits were tried, but they were out of the budget by a mile.

Who manufactures and alters to fit? Well, I donÔÇÖt know the complete list of those who do, but one well known firm does ÔÇô Aerostich. So, today, I have ordered a two-piece Roadcrafter suit.

As a run-up to this, I had my wife take measurements (good) and entered them into the Aerostitch Web siteÔÇÖs sizing tool (should have just called them.) Did this Saturday night, got the reply Tuesday am. I was a bit puzzled by the reply, so I ended up calling them. Talked to Christine, who was a joy to talk to.

But, the conversation was a bit different than I expected. Yes, I should have known it would be.

I expected: with the measurements I provided to the tool, they would be able to alter a stock suit and send it to me.

I got: the process they follow is to send a stock suit that is likely to fit. Christine suggested a size a few sizes smaller than the tool recommended after she asked me about a back protector (declined) and how much layering I was going to use (no need to go over a suit ÔÇô IÔÇÖm retired, but I will use a heated vest sometimes). Ordered that suit and it will ship today. When it comes, I must try it on, sit on the bike, make sure the third seam in the leg is at mid-kneecap or measure the difference, and advise them of my findings. Then, I ship the test suit back to them.

They will immediately start to make the suit I need, in the correct colors, with the correct measurements. The official order date is today, and they will accept a ÔÇ£must ship byÔÇØ date. I need the suit before June 01, when I plan to leave to ride cross-US to BC and then cross-Canada back to Toronto.

I pay shipping three times, duty and taxes once.

If they ship the second suit before they get the first one back, they charge my card again. Then, they give me a credit when the test suit is received.

ItÔÇÖs all very fair. Costing more than my budget. But, at least it will fit. And, all I have to worry about is the timing.

More on this as it happens.

I am not sure what your definition of great customer service is but that sounds like a heck of a lot of effort on your part and not much on theirs. They have your money and you pay all the shipping. Check out Motoport. They have two and one piece suits and they are in your price range if you don't add a lot of extras. And they work off of your measurements you send them. I looked into them and got all set to order but decided to wait until June when I will be in California and can of to thier shop for direct measurement. Just my 2 cents.

I realize you've made your purchase however, anothe rconsideration is Olympia. They are easily tailored for an exact fit.

I am not sure what your definition of great customer service is but that sounds like a heck of a lot of effort on your part and not much on theirs. .

Think about buying a custom measured suit. Tailor measures you up, makes a first build, then you go in for a fitting. Then they fix. Repeat the build, fit, fix step as necessary. They get paid when you take the suit away. And, they have you nearby!

So, Aerostitch is not willing to use a limited set of measurements to ensure my satisfaction. Too much risk. Their process is expensive due to shipping, oh how i hate to pay for shipping, but will get me a decent fit swiftly.

I am confident. I think i am confident. Am i not confident? ... :scratch :thumb :)

Many of us have what is in essence a custom Roadcrafter, Mine is a 44 reg with a minor extra insert at the waist and a few other adjustments. Its the 1 piece I use for business commuting for which it is superb. With some practice it really is on/off in 10 seconds.

There is plenty of other good stuff but not so many that are custom. Both of my two piece sets (summer and 3 season) are RevIt and their tables are very accurate. Never had to return a piece or wish for something different in fit. Female riding companions stuff is also RevIt woens gear and again the fit was excellent first time (they've got a field test process for sizing pre-production that should be used by more makers)

The Roadcrafter regular fabric is stiff and takes some break in. Folks really like their broken in ones and aren't in a hurry to part with them for the latest and greatest. A Lite is a bit easier on break in.

Their fitters will fix you up and in case you don't know it, you can get them serviced, repaired or have parts sent to you anytime. They'll even clean it for you if you want that.

I've seen but not worn the MotoPort gear. Doesn't suit my tastes as well but I can see why those way down south like their mesh. Also good service according to my fellow club members who use it. Been vetted in cross country runs by several with no negatives noted.

Many of us have what is in essence a custom Roadcrafter, Mine is a 44 reg with a minor extra insert at the waist and a few other adjustments. Its the 1 piece I use for business commuting for which it is superb. With some practice it really is on/off in 10 seconds. Cheap- no- but no doubt it will work if I need its protection. Unlke you, I use the back pad and uprated regular pads.

There is plenty of other good stuff but not so many that are custom. Both of my two piece sets (summer and 3 season) are RevIt and their tables are very accurate. Never had to return a piece or wish for something different in fit. Female riding companions stuff is also RevIt womens gear (yes real female gear made for an athletic womens figure and not pink or black) and again the fit was excellent first time (they've got a field test process for sizing pre-production that should be used by more makers)

The Roadcrafter regular fabric is stiff and takes some break in. Folks really like their broken in ones and aren't in a hurry to part with them for the latest and greatest. A Lite is a bit easier on break in.

Their fitters will fix you up and in case you don't know it, you can get them serviced, repaired or have parts sent to you anytime. They'll even clean it for you if you want that.

I've seen but not worn the MotoPort gear. Doesn't suit my tastes as well but I can see why those way down south like their mesh. Also good service according to my fellow club members who use it. Been vetted in cross country runs by several with no negatives noted.

I realize you've made your purchase however, anothe rconsideration is Olympia. They are easily tailored for an exact fit.

I did visit the Olympia source. Found they made me feel like the Michelin man. Did not want the winter lining. Did not want the waterproof liner approach. Wanted Gore Tex bonded to the outer garment.

Have a mesh jacket with warm panels and inside waterproof liner. Don't want that approach, but will use it sometimes.

If it rains, i just want to keep riding and stay dry. If too cool, i will plug in the vest. Too warm, ... That will be a problem sometimes, i accept that.

I have an Aerostich 2-piece in 44L.

I added the elipse later. I have long legs. You could also consider the bib thingy that zips to the pants. I am considering getting one of those to allow custom fit of the pants. The only problem I've had is a bit of pressure on one knee and with the bib converter I think I can adjust that problem away completely.

By the way, the knee armor should be somewhat low when standing. If it is too high it will be very uncomfortable when sitting on the bike by putting too much pressure on your knees.

Harry

Q for Racer7

Can you say more about the length of time for break-in? Any advice? Any chafe points?

Also, i read that something like a Bohn back protector might be the way to go. I'll use the first one to judge if i need a bigger size.

Thanks for the comments.

Check out Motoport. They have two and one piece suits and they are in your price range if you don't add a lot of extras. And they work off of your measurements you send them.

:thumb In my case, they called me and told me that my leg measurements were wrong. Get on the bike right now and do it again. I was told that the new leg measurement had to be correct, considering the other submitted measurements.

Suit fit fine.

I've got the Motoport mesh Kevlar and it fit right. Follow their measuring process and it'll be fine. It's not cheap but it's the only gear I want to be wearing if I ever go down. Aerostich is fine for weather protection but I'm not convinced that it will hold up in a crash.
DON'T read Motoport's website unless you're thinking of spending a good chunk of cash.

Stich

I realize there are other good companies but Aerostich is first class. Have a two piece, my second that was measured at the factory and fit great, then lost weight and had the gusset removed and some other service done. Reasonable pricing. Daughter has a custom fitted suit also. Just had a pair of Darien light pants with custom adjustments and did the try on and send back. Total shipping cost was less then $20. And on top of that the Totally Boring rally is the best rally I have ever attended with some great pricing on their products for those attending. Looking forward to next years, a shame it only happens every five years.

I crash tested a 'Stitch and it came out practically unscathed. I had no marks or bruises anywhere the 'Stitch covered. I did have a concussion, bruised hands and very bruised feet--full face helmet, proper gloves and boots. I wore that suit for 15 years before finally buying something else since I was no longer working and didn't need the instant on/off but did want 100% rainproof (Rukka.) Crash tested it too and it ripped up pretty badly, I bruised my arm and broke 3 ribs. Hoping not to crash test any more suits. :whistle

Before I ordered a megabuck Transit suit from A-stich, I talked to Christine on the phone at least twice about sizing. When the suit arrived, it fit perfectly, and I am 101% happy with it.

Take into account these suits will shrink when washed although I'm not sure as to the percentage.

I'd be interested to hear about your experience with synthetic fibre clothing shrinking. I've only come across that with natural fibres like cotton that have an open cellular structure. Long-strand polymer synthetic fibres are usually very dimensionally stable.

If the shell of a synthetic fibre jacket or pants with a waterproof laminate membrane shrank, there would be serious problems with wrinkling or delamination. I've never heard of that happening.

I talked to Christine on the phone at least twice about sizing. When the suit arrived, it fit perfectly, and I am 101% happy with it.

It was Christine i spoke to and who explained the process. Very pleasant and helpful lady.

Trial suit is supposed to be delivered tomorrow, Friday, which is quicker than Monday, as was originally suggested, but unless it comes very early in the day, not a significant impact on final solution.

I am looking forward to it, of course.

I'd be interested to hear about your experience with synthetic fibre clothing shrinking.

Brother-in-law told me his Aerostich suit shrank a bit when washed. I have no personal experience of this. He never said anything about delamination or wrinkling.

Brother-in-law told me his Aerostich suit shrank a bit when washed. I have no personal experience of this. He never said anything about delamination or wrinkling.

That's unusual.

I had a Darien jacket / pants combo and had no such problem with that outfit or other brands (including BMW) I've owned. Friends with Aerostich gear haven't mentioned it either. Was his the "Falstaff" jacket with the cotton shell? That might account for it.

I love my Stich stuff and love to talk to Christine. I have been wearing their stuff since 1999. I do wear a 2 piece for the fact that I am a bit oddly shaped and make sure that the pants fit and the jacket, in different sizes.

I thought I was in the market for the Transit suit and talked to Christine... after talking with her for a while we came to the conclusion that my style riding, the purpose and how I like my gear to fit would NOT translate into a Transit suit. Talk about saving money. It was more important to her for me to be happy than for her to make a sale. I have no clue where you find that anywhere these days.

Back