• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Riding LA to Sonoma and Back - Suggestions?

M

matthewburgess

Hi. I'm riding with some friends in Sept or Oct from Los Angeles to San Francisco and maybe further north. We're giving ourselves 5 days for the trip.

Any suggestions on places we should go, roads to take, coasts to coast, loops to loop? We'll stick to the coast as we head North, through Santa Barbara to Big Sur and Carmel. We could come home the same way or loop around somewhere cool.

Point Reyes? East Bay?

(We'll be on several R1200GS's, a Multistrada, and a few other bikes that are maybe capable of fire road, but not probably not anything offroad.)

Thanks in advance!!

- Matthew

Definitely take Hwy 1 and stay along the coast.. You won't regret it.

Pt Reyes is spectacular. Love it.

Check out my webpage trip reports.. I was up there earlier this year.. Lots of my riding is on Hwy 1 and it's just awesome.

enjoy!

With five days you'd have plenty of time to ride some of the Sierra passes (e.g., Tioga and Sonora) and visit Yosemite and Kings Cyn. National Parks.

Highway 1 (PCH) is better when riding south because you'll get a better view of the shoreline scenery from the southbound lane.

thanks for ideas so far

some great comments so far. very helpful. THanks!

Back