• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Count your Blessings

lancew

Have bike, will travel
Hey, y'all...

I'm not criticizing anyone, and I know that internet forums are an especially easy place to grind your axe... BUT there have been a lot of thumbs-downs and not enough thumbs-ups.

Let's keep in mind that our rally organizers are all VOLUNTEERS, and they are trying to set up an event for 5,000 + people. We range from the under-the-stars-with-nothin-but-a-toothbrush crowd to the trike-and-trailer-and-motel6-anyway crew. We're not all going to be happy, and we are all going to need to compromise. That's the nature of the beast.

I'm going to be stuck here in Richmond for the weekend, due to things beyond my control (that I am still trying to get out of). I would give my right arm to make this, which would be my first National. Would I be fired up about having to take a shuttle-bus, or leave my bike away from the tent? Not really, but I wouldn't let it ruin a good time. I've camped near there, ridden some of those roads, and been to a few beer-tents in my day, and I'm sure I would have a blast. I HATE it that I'm going to most likely miss it, especially since it's in my back yard.

The only way to make sure you have everything the way you want it is to ride alone, and even then you will probably still end up with a rock under your sleeping bag. I'm not trying to rag on anyone's gripes, but I am saying we should keep in mind the unbelievable effort that the organizers (VOLUNTEERS!) have put into trying to make this the best experience for everyone.

If I don't make it, I hope you will all do me a favor and take the time to thank all the people that have put so much time and effort into this rally. Most of all, I hope you have a good time.

Just my .02.

By the way, if anyone needs a place in richmond to lay over or extend their trip, I have garage space and plenty of bunk/couch/floor room, plus a fridge always full and a grill always on. Email me or call 804 339 8593.

Enjoy,

Lance

Great post, lancew. :thumb

Volunteers are overworked, underpaid, and underappreciated.

But that's just the way it is....especially on forums. It's so much easier to vent one's spleen than to praise. Forums make it really easy.

As a somewhat related aside, I've been shopping for a new minivan. Part of this process has involved searching out forums related to the vehicles I'm interested in....just like we do for bikes. I've found that regardless of the specific vehicle involved, forum feedback tends to be a bunch of whines and moans. Dissatisfied people stick around and complain, while satisfied people tend to go off and have a good time.

So...anyway...thanks for your post, lancew. You rock. Good luck getting out of your commitment.

Thanks, Lance.

I've been a steady volunteer for both the MOA and earlier for the RA and Yankee Beemers.

My dad always told me that if I didn't like the way something was run, get in charge and make it right. It was good advice twenty years ago and still is.

I understand that not everyone has the time abilities many of us do, but helping, even in some small amount is the key to organizations like the MOA. I encourage everybody to help. You'll have way more fun with the organization and the organization will run even better with your efforts.

There are never enough hands to get all the work done that needs to be done.

Dave

Thanks, Lance

Lance, et. al.,

As Paula and I climb on the bike and head out for Charleston, I think it's only right that I echo these comments.

BMW MOA is one of the world's largest member run organizations of it's kind. It's gotten that way because of the thousands (yes, thousands) of member volunteers who have sacrificed their time, skills, and resources so that we can better enjoy our motorcycles! There's no expectations of rewards for them, only the knowledge that they're taking care of our BMW motorcycle family.

Few others have been as fortunate as we have been. For this I'd like to thank everyone who has ever volunteered to help BMW MOA in any way - including putting on this and every rally we've had. Most all do it because they understand that you're all worth it!

Thanks folks, we couldn't do it without you.

Don Hamblin
President, BMW Motorcycle Owners of America

Volunteers, etc.

I agree, give the volunteers credit for what they are trying to do.

But, if there is something that you think could have or should have been done differently in order to improve the experience please don't keep that to yourself. Helpful critizism is needed to correct things. If all you hear is the "great job" but nothing else nothing will ever change.

Like I said before, I'm not a BIG rally guy. Trenton was way too big for me but I had a good time. Except for the change in the closing ceremonies whatever I would have changed to make it better would have made it smaller. I think Kilty did a GREAT job and I'll be going back to Trenton again because of it.

MarkF

Back