• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

s1000XR 2016 vs 2018 buying decision, (looking for opinions/input)

jonnyballgame34

Good Day All,

I was thinking of picking up a s1000xr and have a couple of choices, I was wondering if anyone might have some input on the different years. My choices would be,

2016 with 1,000 miles (it does have the retrofit for the bar vibration)
2018 new

The gross price difference is about $4700 but I'll be financing, and it would be 0% on the 2018, so the net difference is more like $3k.

So I'm wondering what I should consider when deciding if it's worth the extra $3k to go 2018. I know I'd be getting 2 years of the warranty vs 0, (the 2016 runs out in March). I'd like to have the warranty, but have trouble gauging it's value given my 2003 R1150GS just had it's first breakdown at 98k.

I don't think there are any significant changes to the bike otherwise---but that's also why I'm asking here.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Good Day All,

I was thinking of picking up a s1000xr and have a couple of choices, I was wondering if anyone might have some input on the different years. My choices would be,

2016 with 1,000 miles (it does have the retrofit for the bar vibration)
2018 new

The gross price difference is about $4700 but I'll be financing, and it would be 0% on the 2018, so the net difference is more like $3k.

So I'm wondering what I should consider when deciding if it's worth the extra $3k to go 2018. I know I'd be getting 2 years of the warranty vs 0, (the 2016 runs out in March). I'd like to have the warranty, but have trouble gauging it's value given my 2003 R1150GS just had it's first breakdown at 98k.

I don't think there are any significant changes to the bike otherwise---but that's also why I'm asking here.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 2016 which I bought in July 2017 from MaxBMW (so came with full warranty). I love it. Had no problems at all. About 10K on it. I really don't see any reason to buy a more recent model. For the price saving you can provide yourself a warranty for a lot of potential niggly things. There was some issue with some motors and wear on the cam shaft - restricted to certain VIN #'s I believe.

Back