• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Roundel NOT a Propeller

It's been well known for a number of years now that the roundel represents an oilhead transmission shaft as viewed from the end after it has been stripped of its splines.

I've heard some suggest that the blau und weiss color scheme were taken from the Bavarian flag, but as it turns out, the same colors appear on a high denomination deutchmark.

Sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction.

Last edited:
I was told the blue juxtaposed with the white represents the Yin and Yang of BMW ownership, in so far as it costs out the yinyang to own one.

Not my opinion, just adding to the sum of knowledge on the planet.
:hide

The history of the roundel is clouded enough that one can choose an origin.

My favourite is this:
A BMW aircraft Engineer, disgruntled because he was tasked with the design of a motorcycle engine, marked it with a spinning propeller.
The roundel became too well known for upper management to change when they discovered the truth.

Great story. That's what I tell everybody!

Where did the "screamin' eagle" come from?

Once you've seen that spinning propeller ad, it'll always be a spinning propeller, no matter what anybody sez. :D

BMW can "say" what it wants...... There's enough story on both sides of the argument. I'm with Tom, it's a propeller....:nyah

I was told the blue juxtaposed with the white represents the Yin and Yang of BMW ownership, in so far as it costs out the yinyang to own one.

Not my opinion, just adding to the sum of knowledge on the planet.
:hide

Best d@mn explanation I've heard yet:thumb

There is an animated version of this that I saw about 20 years ago. Haven't been able to find it on the net though.

4256554077_2464c904cc_o.jpg

Yeah it is!

I'm with Tom. Maybe not on the cars ( they would never fly) but on the bikes it is a propeller representation. Just like religon you have to believe what you want it to be. Oops try not to doghouse....

Where did the "screamin' eagle" come from?

I can't vouch 100% for the truth of this story, but I have it on good authority from a friend in the Milwaukee area that the origin of the mighty Screaming Eagle goes back to what occurred just seconds before this picture was shot.

Attachments

• eagle-vs-chicken.jpg
    eagle-vs-chicken.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 742
I wish someone would tell the poor ignorant sots at BMW Group;

http://www.bmwgroup.com/bmwgroup_pro...home/home.html

Your link doesn't work.

But probably you've found some place where the left hand hasn't yet heard from the right hand about how the logo was developed.

Instead, read the story at the link I gave above, which is an article that was published 5 years ago from the group archives. They really did look into the issue carefully.

Your link doesn't work.

But probably you've found some place where the left hand hasn't yet heard from the right hand about how the logo was developed.

Instead, read the story at the link I gave above, which is an article that was published 5 years ago from the group archives. They really did look into the issue carefully.

Darryl,

I will tell you that on 3 January 2010 there was a description in the history section of that website that credited the roundel design to the sun's reflection off of a propeller. I fear your analysis is correct, left vs right-hand. In any event, I have to wonder why the revision is so important at this time?

Jon

Back