• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Black paint on R65 engine?

CaptDistraction

Hi, Hopefully this is an easy one - I'm cleaning up my R65LS engine, and I will be putting fresh black paint on the airbox, starter cover and timing chain cover. Should this be a gloss black or a flat/matte black? Thanks!

I'd split the difference and go with a "semi-gloss" ... "flat" black is a total PITA to keep clean.

Semi-gloss is also closer to the finish on the valve covers, engine plate dropouts, and the plastic components.

Agree with Lew. I used Krylon Semi-Gloss High Heat BBQ paint on my R65 timing chest and it turned out great. Gives a very nice look. Be sure to prep the surfaces very well, clean of any residue, oils or dirt. For the valve covers, air box, and top cover, I powder coated. Links below...

http://tinyurl.com/6q67p37

http://tinyurl.com/822wpjo

Nice Mike. Not only nice, very nice! COuldn't figure out what the "dashed blue" detail between the front cover fins were ... graphics tape?

Wish I had been clever enough to wrap my frame with foam sheet.... :banghead

Lew,

I was wondering when someone was going to ask what the tape was. You are correct, it's old 1/8" wide architectural drafting tape I had laying around my office along with the rapidiograph (leroy) pens gathering dust. It fit the ribs perfectly and took an easy quick clean-up with sanding block and scotchbrite pads to dress the corners.

Mike V. / San Diego

Sounds like parallel universes brother ... Kohinoor pens and ultrasonic cleaner, ellipse and circle templates, triangles, T-squares, compasses and dividers, eraser shields, electric erasers, X-acto knives, dry cleaning pads, I still have three or four old Vemco machines gathering dust down at the shop.

Like anyone uses that stuff anymore.

Sounds like parallel universes brother ... Kohinoor pens and ultrasonic cleaner, ellipse and circle templates, triangles, T-squares, compasses and dividers, eraser shields, electric erasers, X-acto knives, dry cleaning pads, I still have three or four old Vemco machines gathering dust down at the shop.

Like anyone uses that stuff anymore.

Ahhh. The French curves too.

Back