• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Boot Recommendations?

B

bluechip

My feet have grown and I need new boots...10.5-11. Does anyone have a recommendation? I'm in the PNW so need waterproof boots and my calves are 18" so slender stovepipes won't work.
TIA bluechip

Frei Daytonas, Gore-Tex model. I have generous German ankles and calves,
and they're the only boots I can fit into. And they're ALL DAY BONE DRY.

Even in standing water at the campsite. They're solidly built, like ski boots, wear like iron,
and are rather pricey, but sooooo worth it.

Husband and I just bought our second pairs.

If you can't find them locally, ping me and I'll tell you where I got mine.

Transition Boots

Just read an article in MC about the BMW Transition boot. The review claims they were very comfortable , water proof and earned a CE certification. They like all BMW tagged clothing weren't cheap but if an extra $100 could keep me off crutches I will consider when I replace my current boot.

Sidi

Last I remember in Motorcycle Consumer News they rated the SIDI boot the best. I have 2 sets, and over the last 5 years have been very happy with them.

iRene said:

Even in standing water at the campsite. They're solidly built, like ski boots, wear like iron,

i'll second this, made in germany, so they're a bit $$$, i have the non-gortex model (about 250 vs 300 for the gortex) and they're pretty waterproof in moderate rain that doesn't last for a long time.........the 50 for the gortex is worth it, i was on a budget at the time..........

i'm an oxtar matrix man.

perfectly waterproof, and expandable calf area. i dont know about 18 inches, but i've had them on with all sorts of pants (heavy long underwear and jeans) tucked in, and they were fine. good armor. not bad looking.

iRene said:

Add one more to the Daytona pile. I am on my second pair in six years. The first pair I wore almost every day as my around town shoes and they lasted 4 years before the zippers and soles gave out. Helimot says he has a person who can resole the boots now. :clap

I wear these
transopen.jpg

They have velcro patches in the back that expand the calf for wider legs.

From the Helimot website
High quality enduro style touring boot, 37 cm high and crafted in 2.8 mm special water-resistant treated cowhide. It is made fully waterproof by the addition of a Gore-Tex?« lining and an elasticized leather top edge. Fully sealed inner gussets with Gore-Tex?« prevent the entry of any water. Additional features include double zippers, calf adjustment, reinforced gear change area, reinforced leather insole, and special profile enduro sole with steel tip at the toe.

Last edited:
Given your thick calves, the hiking boot suggestion is good becuase they stay relatively low. I have some Hitec Magnums that are *EXCELLENT* riding boots. They are lightweight, very breatheable, waterproof, comfortable enough to walk all day. Add some lace-in zippers and you'll be batting 1000.

Either the Oxtar Matrix Goretex or the BMW Transition boots. I have both and really like them a lot. The BMW boot has an external bracing system but still is comfy to wear and walk in. Both boots are waterproof.

Nobody knows about the Gaerne ST Dry? That's what I'm riding with, and I have no idea how I did without them for the past 4 years... They're 100% waterproof (rode with them from Toronto to Rochester and back in a heavy rain (4hrs each way) and came home dry and toasty. The ride was in October!

gaerne_stdry.jpg

Kochmann, put them on and wear them all day on or off the bike. I've got the Silverstone's which are not sized for your type of foot but try the link below for a great sizing chart and I'm sure you'll find what your looking for.

http://eclipseluggage.com/boots.html

marK11LT said:
goretex lined above ankle leather hiking boots

IMHO, shoe laces and chains and/or spinning wheels don't mix. Just ask Isadora .

I think Sidi "On Roads" get more positive press than any boot around. I don't own a pair, I use Alpinestars. Vertex touring boots and Vector Dual-Sporting boots. I also have a pair of Vendramini sport riding boots that I rather like.

I love my Aerostitch Combat Touring Boots (made specially for 'Stitch by Sidi).

They provide good ankle and calf support for longer rides, are comfy. My feet have never gotten wet in them either.

Plus.....anything with the words combat in the name is a must-have.

another option

while doing some casual shopping at Lima, last summer, I tried on a pair of Kochmann Sympatex boots; found them extremely well made and very comfortable for both riding and walkin, as well as reasonably priced; nice velcro fastening on the uppers which fits my large calves; taking them to Mexico next month...good luck..wj

bluechip said:
My feet have grown and I need new boots...10.5-11. Does anyone have a recommendation? I'm in the PNW so need waterproof boots and my calves are 18" so slender stovepipes won't work.
TIA bluechip

Oxtar
Good boots (they make the beemer boots) and at the right vendor, they're affordable. After wearing a pair of BMW gortex boots into the ground, I recently got a pair of Oxtar Infinity boots. For something more street oriented, the Matrix boot would work nicely. My infinity's have been waterproof so far in Portland's winter rain. As other's have mentioned, the Matrix has been well reviewed for those with stouter proportions.

A review of the Matrix by a 'big' guy...
http://www.newenough.com/product_pictures/o/oxtar_matrix_goretex_boots/mcn_report.jpg

A selection of their boots at New Enough (where I bought my Infinity's)...
http://www.newenough.com/product_group_boots_oxtar.htm

Their sizing is nearly identical to BMW's so if you can find your size in the BMW boots, that size should work for the Oxtars.

Back