• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Single Person Tent?

C

criminaldesign

Any recommendations that will not break the bank?

$150 bux breaks my bank for a tent even that price makes me cough.

Nothing special, a shelter that will keep me dry.

Thanks, h

personally, I would go for a two person tent..... just in case eh? On the more serious side though, the ability to withstand very strong winds is comforting as well as keeping dry. A good ground sheet is valuable. But, just in case water seeps in, a somewhat inexpensive air mattress is handy. - Bob

I would recomend a two person tent so you have room for your gear. I got mine at Target for about $ 40.00 two years ago. still in great shape...

Baby diapers:)

These make real good water intrusion soaker uppers in your tent. The real old fashioned diapers are great and make nice rags too for the bike:). They soak up a LOT of water! A great tip for any tenter.... Randy:usa

Depends how satisfied you want to be, you can get a wal mart special for $30 http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wenzel-Starlite-Hiker-Biker-Tent/8136423.

I checked into some and ended up spending about 120 on a kelty 2 person. The cheaper tents are probably not waterproof to a comfortable rating (for me that is), and must be seam sealed from the get go. The other consideration is the size of the netting, a friend explained that the $30 tents do not have netting that keeps the no-see-uns out (little flying insects that eat you alive at night).

H-

Bass Pro is just up the street about nine miles........Springfield is the home of BP. They also have a seperate "catalog returns" store next to the main one with reduced prices.

But before we go, lets look through my tent collection. I probably got one you could have if you think one would suit your needs - thats why I was asking if you had one when you were here! I've got about 4 tents in the garage-can't use them all. I was going to give you one, but I don't want you coming back and asking for your money back!
If you want a single, there are also some good buys on flea-bay.

Thanks for the response guys.

I'm used to the $30 tents and sealing the seems but there's still condensation.

I have a 2-3 person but the thing is so bulky it makes me not want to deal with it,
which I haven't. I've even done rides where I have the tent with me and don't use it cos I don't want to deal with it.

Ken, BP's catalog returns sounds promising. Yeah, take a look. If you have a small one that you aren't using and wouldn't mind parting with let me know.

Dry is important and it's miserable anymore. Oh no, I'm getting older.

Later, h

Amazon's a good source, too.

I picked up my Eureka Apex 2XT or whatever it is, on Amazon for considerably cheaper than I could have at one of the camping or sporting goods stores. It's fairly light, packs fairly small and works well. It's billed as a 2 person, but it just the right size for one and some gear.

I picked up a eureks backcountry 2 at campmor for around $160. Great little tent that packs down to about 6 by 15, and fits easily in a side case. My old eureka timberline 4 worked perfectly but packed at about 26 inches long so I didn't like it for moto camping, as all I like to strap on is my waterproof duffle for clothes. I'd be happy to sell it to you if it would work on your bike.

Bob
'04 K1200GT

Gander Mtn Sale

Gander Mtn has on sale this week, the Eureka Apex 2XT Backpacking tent, good tent for $129.99 Online item #419420

I have a 2-3 person but the thing is so bulky it makes me not want to deal with it,
which I haven't. I've even done rides where I have the tent with me and don't use it cos I don't want to deal with it.

A 2 man tent is good for one man plus gear. If you're insistent upon a one man tent get a bivy sack instead. Or take a tarp. Here's instructions for making a bivy sack out of tyvec. http://www.instructables.com/id/Tyvek-Bivy-Sack-for-CampingHiking/

Don't think you can get cheaper than that.

Mac:

Your best bet would be a pre owned 2 person tent from one of the quality manufacturers, such as Kelty, North Face, Eureka, or the like. The cheap ones don't keep the weather out. The good tents will pack down small.

I would check local used stuff listings for ones that haven't been used much. A good source is the bulletin board at your local outfitter.

Last edited:
+1 on Eureka. Mine has endured rains lasting several days with no leaking, except for on one occasion when I didn't fully close the zipper, and left for the day. And even that attests to how watertight it is, since it then filled up without spilling a drop! Get at least a two man so you can have some room for your gear. I have a two-man with vestibules and sometimes feel like I could use even more room.

You will get condensation with the less expensive brands if they are not the mesh-type tent with a separate rain fly, which is what I'd recommend. They breathe much better and if it's a clear night, you can skip the fly and enjoy the stars from your sleeping bag.

Back