• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Trip to Alaska from Florida- Meet new friends

smmotorco

I'm interested in riding to Alaska soon. I plan to ride from Tampa, Florida to Prudhoe Bay (Dead Horse), Alaska.

I plan to leave around August 1, 2011. The map shows the route I plan to take. It isn't official or set in stone though; I am flexible and able to change it if needed.

I'm looking for a riding partner that wants to ride to Alaska and back. I'm flexible with my time because I am self-employed. If anyone is interested, let me know. I would prefer to camp as much as possible instead of staying in a hotel each night depending on weather conditions.

Also, I would love to meet some club members so if anyone lives near the routes I have included and would like to meet up let me know.

AlaskaTripMap.jpg

Hi Sasan,

Hope you're riding that 93 GSPD up on your trip. We do not see too many passing thru these days; there have been just two this year that I'm aware of.

I suggest you spend some time lurking or posting over on the Alaska Regional forum on ADV Riders (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68). There are a bunch of great folks over there with a tremendous amount of experience riding in this neck of the world. Also a good place to find a potential riding partner.

Depending on when you make it to Fairbanks you should plan on staying in the dorms at the local U. Much cheaper than the motels and not much more expensive than camping, but I think they will stop taking riders around the 15th of August. More on the dorms here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534385.

Once you make it to the interior of Alaska there are plenty of folks with the skills, knowledge and desire to help if you have an issue with an Airhead. You can find help through the Air Marshall, the Alaska forum or PM me.

Looking at your route I can only suggest you try to add riding the Yellowhead Hwy that runs thru Banff and Jasper Parks in Alberta. The Yellowhead connects to the Cassiar. And, if possible work in a stop in Hyder, AK; also near the Cassiar at Stewart, BC.

Good luck, enjoy the ride, bring lots of warm and waterproof gear.

Thanks for the reply- lots of useful information. Yes, I'm definitely taking the GS PD. I put an ad ADV Riders forum looking for possible riding partners but I didn't put in in the Alaska section; I should probably add it there also.

I think I'll get to Fairbanks before the 15th of August so it may be possible to stay at the dorms. I would need another place to stay on the way back. I don't want to stay too long, I rather avoid the cold.

I'm gonna look into the Yellowhead Hwy you mentioned. I did plan on stopping in Hyder but it's so hard to find maps for that area. I'm gonna take a look at the other spots you mentioned also.

Once again, thanks for the reply and warm wishes!

Red Lodge, Montana -> Beartooth Highway -> Yellowstone.

The Beartooth is on my bucket list and I'd certainly ride it if I was anywhere nearby, and you will be going right by there.

Harry

You should expect sub-freezing temperature north of Atigun Pass in Mid to late August. Last time I was up there it was in mid-June and it was 24 degrees. Snow up there is always possible, but in mid August it gets much more possible. Bundle up.

Hi Susan,

I see that you are not going to Dawson City, Yukon, I would recommend going Dawson City and then continue by going on the Top of The World highway (Chicken AK is on that road) then to Tok.

I live near Edmonton AB, if you need anything or would like to do a pit stop you are welcomed just PM me.

Garry and Josee
My Alaska RR (2011)
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=53991

I have changed to my route (still changing actually) to include all of the places everyone has suggested. I'm definitely looking forward to Top of the World Highway. Keep hearing great things about it.

Garry and Josee- thanks for the offer.

I will keep you all updated about my trip.

Thanks again.

Enjoy the ride, I wish I had the time to go with you neighbor.

Tim

Safe journey.:wave

It's been a wet/cool summer up north this year. Hope it clears for you.

Backroad ADV

Thanks for the warm wishes everyone. I'm really excited to go.

Tim- too bad you don't have the time, would of been great riding up with someone.

Thanks for the warm wishes everyone. I'm really excited to go.

Tim- too bad you don't have the time, would of been great riding up with someone.

I get three weeks of vacation per year but have to break them up one week at a time. Take lots of pictures, I'm very excited for you.

Tim

I have very good riding gear (Spidi Ergo 05) and my jacket has 3 liners to keep me warm. The inner liner has insulation to stay warm for cold weather, the middle liner is wind and water proof and the top jacket protects from everything else. I've ridden in 25 Fahrenheit weather before and my bike has heated grips.

I will take lots of pictures trust me. I have the Contour GPS camera for my helmet and than my other camera for everything else.

Heated gear

A lot depends on your body type. I wore a Roadcrafter one piece, a goretex outer jacket, a fleece zip up and a heated jacket under that. On the haul road in May, I was still nearly hypothermic by the time I got to Deadhorse. Just sayin.:violin

The Brooks Range was completely snow covered in May, and the road itself was 6 inches deep of mud, freezing gunk, and an avalanche closed the road an hour or so after our return trip, causing whatever trucks there were there that Spring to idle for hours waiting for it to be cleared. At altitude, in the slop, winds and near blizzard conditions. If you'd been waiting on a bike.......you'd be in touble.

Early winter in August may be different, I dunno, but at least a vest would be cheap insurance. As the locals have noted here, winter ends late and comes early up there.

Last edited:
When I rode to Nova Scotia a few years back, in September, I was very glad I brought my Widder electric vest. One morning was cold and I stopped to put that vest on. Later in the trip, in Massachusetts, I was battling 95F+ heat.

I would suggest bringing an electric vest along, with the proper hook-up for it.

Harry

Heated jacket liner.

I have very good riding gear (Spidi Ergo 05) and my jacket has 3 liners to keep me warm. The inner liner has insulation to stay warm for cold weather, the middle liner is wind and water proof and the top jacket protects from everything else. I've ridden in 25 Fahrenheit weather before and my bike has heated grips.

I will take lots of pictures trust me. I have the Contour GPS camera for my helmet and than my other camera for everything else.

Read my lips. Heated jacket liner is not optional. Get one, or borrow one. Take it from a Canadian that rides well into November and starts again in February. My Gerbing liner is a godsend.

Suggestions for the return trip

Hi Sasan,

Looks like a very nice adventure so far - please keep us posted!

As to your return route:
1. Looks like you have planned the US 12 "Lewis & Clark" run from Lewiston, ID to Lolo, MT. Good choice (IMHO)
2. Assuming you take that run, I suggest you swing southeast toward West Yellowstone, then through Yellowstone and Cooke City, MT and catch the Beartooth Hwy US 212.
3. Then, depending on time, etc. down to Granby, CO and over Trail Ridge Rd through Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park.

I did all of these recently - definitely bucket list rides!

Regards, safe travel,

Hey Sasan:
Your Southern route has you traveling on I-10 to Houston - you'll pass within 2 miles of my house in LA. I'm also planning an Alaskan trip this summer and looking for company. Lafayette is the heart of Cajun country and a great to visit. Let's work on the trip together.
Randy

Back