• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Intercom for two riders taking trip together?

SCBuckeye

I am not sure about any of this, but are there such things like "walkie-talkies" for bikers that will have ear pieces that will allow them to talk to each other but do it cheaply?

Go with the Sena SMH10. You can get the dual pack for $285.00 - you'll be able to do more than just a walkie talkie.

Talking to each other

I went with the Sena SMH 5. They work great for me. They are anywhere $199.00 to about $220.00. Got mine from Revzilla. People there were very helpful. Went right into the helmet. Took me about 20-25 minutes per helmet. Good luck. I also have them paired with my iPhone, GPS, and iPod. They work slick and the pairing is easy to do.

+1 for the smh 5. And for revzilla. Very pleased with both. However, i do have some HD riding friends that use walkie talkies for bike to bike. I don t know much about the system, but they seem content with it.

Whatever you get, it might be a good idea for you and your riding partner to sort out in advance how you'll use them. I enjoy riding, and the ability to communicate transformed the experience with one buddy. But I rode over the Great Lakes from Vermont to Minnesota with another who simply never shut up! Having my head filled with non-stop gossipy chatter - which continued at the campfire till he fell asleep - was a major downer. I ended up turning it off and pretending it had failed. I was glad to part company in Wisconsin.

Ground rules would have helped.

I picked up a set of the Scala Q2's used for $150 ($75 per unit) and have been happy with them. Not as user friendly maybe as the SENA but can link to phone and 2 other headsets. My wife has one in her helmet and I have one in mine, we can talk to each other and can each link to our phones (if we want to). I bought the MP3 capable mount for my helmet which allows me to hardwire to my GPS which has MP3 capability. This allows me to hear direction and music through the headset, and turns off the music when the phone rings. On trips "with the guys" I can link to 2 other riders but you have to toggle between the 2, no "conferance" conversations with the Q2, so someone gets left out of the conversation. Not an issue if you are riding with just one other person.

Like I said, not the latest and greatest, but they were cheap enough and do most of what I wanted in a headset.

use radios for less expensive comm set

You can use simple hand held radios, with a set of speakers/microphones and push to talk connectors from www.planetheadset.com/helmet-headset.php for about $69 plus the radios. You could also just try the headsets that come with most good handheld radios which include voice activation, or just buy the push to talk button to work with them. My experience has been that the voice activation is too sensitive to use on a bike. Good luck!

Sena10

We have four bikes travelling sometimes and this Sena hooks all together:). Wireless music and much more. I phone. Money is an issue, think it out first. Getting the right stuff pays dividends. Randy

I see a lot of positive comments here for the Sena. Wish I had read those before I bought Scala. Our experience with Scala has been like this: "Are you there? Okay I hear you now...wait, hello, hello, is anyone there? There you are....wait, hello?" You get the picture. It would have been quicker to learn American Sign Language...

I see a lot of positive comments here for the Sena. Wish I had read those before I bought Scala. Our experience with Scala has been like this: "Are you there? Okay I hear you now...wait, hello, hello, is anyone there? There you are....wait, hello?" You get the picture. It would have been quicker to learn American Sign Language...

We had that issue with our first set, the Team Set, which was just rider to passenger. The Q2's have not been a problem. Seems there was a pairing issue with the Team Set, and I had to continually re-pair them. I ended up giving them to a buddy who is legally deaf, and just wanted to pair to a phone with ear buds, not use the speakers/intercom, so he was happy.

Back