• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Blue Ridge Parkway in May

Timba

Luckiest Man Alive
Greetings,

Just got back from a ten-day ride of the Blue Ridge Parkway, and assorted roads in Eastern Tennessee.

This is the fifth time I've ridden this area, but the first time during Spring; all our other trips were in the Fall.

There were some good points to Spring riding (lots of blooms, wildlife sightings), but overall I have to say that I like late August/early September much better. The roads are in better shape, the pollen levels are lower, and there seems to be less traffic later in the year. Temperatures are about perfect either time, but we had more rain on this May trip than we've ever had on a September trip.

There were lots of groups of riders out, and quite a few were eclectic bunches like ourselves (1 1150GS Adventure, 1 ST1100, and 1 Yamaha R1). There friendly quotient was very high, with about 95% of even the Harley folks returning waves.

Here are the photos of the trip:

http://community.webshots.com/album/143865186SiSKdx
http://community.webshots.com/album/143953516TDjhNI

:clap I don't know if my photo will attach but I took it on May 5th.

I left the midwest for points east on May 3, Camped out the first night in Wyandott camp grounds in Indiana. Bout froze to death. Next morning first K-mart I came to I bought an extra blanket.
Was almost wiped out by two deer getting ready to cross I64 just inside W.Va. right at the noon hour I couldn't believe it. I came around a corner doing a little better than posted speed limit and there on the side of the road a big ole deer and he was waiting for another one that was joining up with him, if they started across the interstate I was a goner so though they say don't startle the deer I laid on my *"fiams" and both deer bolted back into the brush.
I spent the night with some relatives in Clarksburg WVa. then took Hiway 50 east to Va. Lots of twists in that road but being a flatlander I found it hard to keep up with some of the semis and logging trucks...how embarrassing.
Made it to Skyline Drive and went south from there, plenty of wild life on skyline drive but I was driving more sensably (is there any way to get a spell checker on these forums?) While camping out met another rider who said I should hit "Deals Gap" which I did after visiting my sister in S. Carolina.
Uneventful return trip to Nebraska except I got a good soaking for about two states.

*Italian made horns BMW should have had made stock equipment years ago.

Attachments

• sklinedrive.jpg
    sklinedrive.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 184
Blue Ridge Parkway

The Parkway was really great today. Very little traffic and beautiful views.

Attachments

• blueridge(4) 060204.jpg
    blueridge(4) 060204.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 133
This is pretty funny.

143892418ZBmLsO_ph.jpg

Edit: I was linking to one of the pictures in the webshots albums but webshots doesn't allow remote linking. Bummer.

Its the one with the picture of the guy flying off his bike.

Back